38 replies to this topic

#31 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

BTW - Does anybody know what download speed is needed to get decent quality streaming from Netflix?

I played an HD movie and monitored LAN usage on task manager. Without too much buffering ahead, it was averaging (not a scientific measurement) about 7 Mbps. It would peak out to 12 Mbps (my limit) now and then.

That's more than I thought. I was getting decent streaming with 3 Mbps - probably just SD. As you know, Netflix will adjust its rate dynamically.

#32 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Here's my AT&T results
Posted Image

I just had Comcast internet installed and here are my new results after switching over from AT&T who's results are posted above.

Posted Image

Then there are these results which I really find hard to believe..

Posted Image

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#33 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

We haven't had any problems since resetting the modem two weeks ago as many of you suggested. Thanks.

#34 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

I just had Comcast internet installed and here are my new results after switching over from AT&T who's results are posted above.

Are you just using them for internet ? If so - how much is it per month after the honeymoon period ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#35 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

Posted Image

Then there are these results which I really find hard to believe..

Posted Image

I have seen the same thing happen where the test completes almost instantly. Usually it will run fine it you just try it again. Keep in mind that continuous throughput with Comcast is actually have of their test speeds since they artificially inflate it with their "Powerboost" feature. (IE: Netflix, youtube, etc will be downloading at 8mb, not 16.)

#36 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

hmm

#37 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

Are you just using them for internet ? If so - how much is it per month after the honeymoon period ?

Yes, just internet only, $44 after the 6 month intro at $29 a month

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#38 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Maybe it's where you are located. I have VPN on all day without interruption when I work at home. My google ping was 32ms, yahoo was 35ms.

Comcast has 20mb/sec service now too.

(Sorry for the late response. I was on vacation :) )

The issues I had weren't with ping times, but stability issues, like dropped packets. I was amazed at how bad the Comcast network was (tens of % in lost packets on some days). Beyond the lost connections, I would also experience severe speed drops during certain parts of the day to the point that websites loaded like I was on dial-up and my X-server sessions to work servers would be useless since each keystroke took a couple seconds to display and mouse events took several seconds to register.

It's possible that it was my neighborhood, but I know a lot of people in other areas had similar issues (as has been beaten to death on MyFolsom over the years *cough* mylo *cough*). It's also possible that they resolved their issues since I left three years ago. I'm sure the bad image they had was one of the reasons for the whole Xfinity rebranding. Maybe getting better IT folks was part of the rebranding!

As for the speed debate, it's mostly marketing hype to get people to pay more for something they don't need or even use. I have the 6 MB service and have no problems streaming Netflix or HD videos from other online sources. I think Comcast was at around 12 MB when I had them. I saw no significant difference related to the speed after switching to the slower U-verse service. I don't do online gaming, Skype, illegal video downloads, etc. Maybe faster matters in those cases?
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#39 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

We had Comcast installed 25 days ago and it sucks. The internet is forever dropping - sometimes for and hour or more. Happens multiple times a day. Changing back to Uverse PDQ. BTW - we live in Lexington Hills if that makes any difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users