• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:30 PM

This is a public service announcement for this forum[I][SIZE=7]

If you would like to set your preferences to ignore a user of this forum, the easiest way is to click on their name on a post. When you do you have several options in the top portion and one of them is IGNORE ....
Click on that and you will never be bothered with their postings again....

A number of us have invoked this today- and found it quite easy to do --

It could reduce your blood pressure by a few points... or more...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 doug72

doug72

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

That would be for me, especially if you're a liberal democrat and you hate being asked tough questions !!! tongue.gif

#3 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

I already have low blood pressure, I need to raise it. smile.gif

It works quite well. I would like to draw out the distinction between this and censorship. I was giving that some thought earlier today.

You're just 'turning the channel' due lack of interest, etc. as opposed to extinguishing or limiting that person's freedom of speech and expression.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#4 doug72

doug72

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

But your GOAL is to not face tough questions, sir !!! smile.gif

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Jul 8 2005, 01:53 PM)
I already have low blood pressure, I need to raise it.  smile.gif

It works quite well.  I would like to draw out the distinction between this and censorship.  I was giving that some thought earlier today.

You're just 'turning the channel' due lack of interest, etc.  as opposed to extinguishing or limiting that person's freedom of speech and expression.

View Post

I would never consider using it to extinquish a persons freedom of speech or expression- mearly to cut the Noise to signal ratio...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 doug72

doug72

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jul 8 2005, 12:58 PM)
I would never consider using it to extinquish a persons freedom of speech or expression- mearly to cut the Noise to signal ratio...

Cheers
F500

View Post

....and to not face tough questions about your anti-Bush/war remarks !!! beaker.gif

#7 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jul 8 2005, 12:58 PM)

Cheers
F500

View Post

That's the point I was trying to make. In one case it's up to us as to whether we want to listen what a person wants to say and interact with that person.

In the other case, as in a moderator censoring someone, it limits or extinguishes that individual's freedom of speech/expression.

Some would say it's the same thing, I don't agree. That person still has the freedom to speak out and be heard (by others), and if others are interested in what the person says, then they'll continue to have a voice.

If however, a moderator 'silences' that person - by banning, or limiting them in some way, then that's censorship, because they're not just limiting a few people from hearing what that person is saying, but all.

And that's just unAmerican in my opinion.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

Thank you for the information. While I welcome intelligent, civil, respectful debate (i.e., discussions in which issues are evaluated based upon their merit) I have no tolerance or time for posts that resort to name-calling, labeling, insults, personal attacks, and downright rudeness.

BTW -- If the moderators set up rules and the rules aren't followed, they have the right to ban or edit the offenders or remove their posts. That's not the same thing as censorship. If some people do not know how to express their opinions (of which they're entitled to share) in civilized, respectful ways the rest of us may choose to avoid reading such offensive posts and the moderators would have the right to do what they deem necessary to maintain this community's civility.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 doug72

doug72

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Jul 8 2005, 01:18 PM)
  I have no tolerance or time for posts that resort to name-calling, labeling, insults, personal attacks, and downright rudeness.

View Post

I agree, especially when it's directed towards our president, our country, and our military...by a certain group here in this forum...

#10 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Jul 8 2005, 01:53 PM)
I already have low blood pressure, I need to raise it.  smile.gif

It works quite well.  I would like to draw out the distinction between this and censorship.  I was giving that some thought earlier today.

You're just 'turning the channel' due lack of interest, etc.  as opposed to extinguishing or limiting that person's freedom of speech and expression.

View Post

Do what you gotta do.

The way I view it, if you gotta get up the next morning to go to work, and the neighbor's dog is barking and keeping you awake all night, you're not censoring the dog if you close the window - you're just using one of the tools you've got.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#11 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jul 8 2005, 12:30 PM)
This is a public service announcement for this forum[I][SIZE=7]

If you would like to set your preferences to ignore a user of this forum, the easiest way is to click on their name on a post. When you do you have several options in the top portion and one of them is IGNORE ....
Click on that and you will never be bothered with their postings again....

A number of us have invoked this today- and found it quite easy to do --

It could reduce your blood pressure by a few points... or more...

Cheers
F500

View Post

Well, this is my second attempt to respond, my first just disappeared, but I'm not taking that personally!

At any rate, I hope you will reconsider ignoring users by setting an automatic "ignore" for specific users. The best thing about these forums is that there's a dialogue going on about those things that are important to us. If we do a pre-emptive strike by editing on the basis of user(s) with whom we find ourselves in disagreement, even if it that disagreement occurs MOST of the time, we do ourselves a disservice. Seems we've all learned a lot on these forums, even if it's that we don't care for our neighbors. And that may not be a bad thing. All users here have something to contribute - I've learned things from those with whom I often (and sometimes always) disagree.

Of course if it's truly a health issue (high blood pressure) that leads to this pre-emptive user editing, then I do understand and the use of this option is appropriate.

But otherwise, please reconsider and get the full benefit of dialogue with all your neighbors/forum members. We all get our senses offended at times because of the passion we have for our "causes", but I believe there's a mechanism by which true offenders of the rules of the forum can be handled by the forum moderators.

That being said, again, reconsider, and hopefully we'll see everyone fully participate in this exciting, interesting, provocative and sometimes insanity producing dialogue.

#12 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

or we could just play a recording of doug72 saying the same things over, and over, and over, and over, and over etc.

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

Terry: "At any rate, I hope you will reconsider ignoring users by setting an automatic "ignore" for specific users. The best thing about these forums is that there's a dialogue going on about those things that are important to us. If we do a pre-emptive strike by editing on the basis of user(s) with whom we find ourselves in disagreement, even if it that disagreement occurs MOST of the time, we do ourselves a disservice."

Terry, as I stated in my post, my decision to ban someone will not be based upon whether I agree or disagree with that person. The issue is whether the person treats others with respect or has an abusive, disrespectful way of consistently communicating with others.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ Jul 8 2005, 02:30 PM)

Of course if it's truly a health issue (high blood pressure) that leads to this pre-emptive user editing, then I do understand and the use of this option is appropriate. 

View Post

Do digestive disorders count? blush.gif
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#15 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Jul 8 2005, 02:48 PM)
Do digestive disorders count?  blush.gif

View Post

I am concerned about you ngilbert. This is two threads now where you have expressed concerns re: digestive track.... rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users