• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(TheCourtJester @ Aug 19 2005, 12:37 AM)
Ad-Aware, Mozilla Firefox, AVG ANti-Virus, Linksys hardware router/firewall, 256-bit WEP and no broadcast SSID, and Sygate personal.

View Post

I "discovered" (aka hacked,) four of my neighbors WEP enabled wireless networks in less than 10 minutes. I could have very easily bridged their networks into mine and used their bandwidth, but chose to of course, let them know how sh1tty wep is.

WIRELESS SECURITY:

1) Use WPA instead of WEP (it can easily be hacked as well, but is definetly more secure and will turn some hackers off.)

2) use MAC address filtering, simply put, find your mac address of all the machines you know will use the wireless network and add them to the routers whitelist.

3) Limit the amount of IP's the router will issue, make this number equal the number of computers in yoru house (note, if a hacker gets through the router will give him an IP from one of the existing computers, if that computer can no longer be issued an IP address, then you know you've got a hacker.)

4) If you're truly paranoid, do what intel does and lock network resources to authenticated domain users via VPN. This requires you have a good router, or the Linksys WRT54g which has extensible firmware options.

QUOTE(Merlin @ Aug 19 2005, 03:56 AM)
Its true actually, Mozilla Firefox, the anti-anything.  I go to a site with IE, boom boom boom viruses.  Firefox, pffft nothing.  I'm suprised at how well Microsofts AntiSpyware Beta actually works.

View Post

I agree whole heartedly. I'm actually very proud of how Microsoft built and maintiains anti-spyware, small memory footprint, my dad has it installed and he hasn't had any problems. Of course, he uses Firefox, and as you said, Firefox will remove the pathway most viruses take to infiltrate your computers.

QUOTE(randb @ Aug 19 2005, 07:11 AM)
Steve you really should be running some sort of anti-virus software. Try AVG they have a free version.

http://www.download....4-10342876.html

View Post

Most people are turned off by AV's because of their constant nagging and large memory footprint, norton takes up so much memory compared to alternatives. Steve, there are smaller, lesser known AV's that take up less memory and less system resources (most use them while your computer is idle.)

QUOTE(bishmasterb @ Aug 19 2005, 08:03 AM)
While I wouldn't recommend it, I ran my primary computer for nearly a year without any AV at all. Just kept up to date with MS patches, used Firefox instead of IE and of course never opened email that looked suspicious or was unexpected. No problems.

View Post

Yup Yup... Firefox is all one needs.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#17 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:41 AM

AVG has a very small footprint, Norton post 2003 is huge.

MS Anti-spyware was not built by MS, they bought it.

#18 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(randb @ Aug 19 2005, 06:11 AM)
Steve you really should be running some sort of anti-virus software. Try AVG they have a free version.

http://www.download....4-10342876.html

View Post

Alwil Avast! Antivirus http://www.avast.com also free.

Not sure how 'good' MS AntiSpyware is. After I run it and it reports not finding any spyware, I run Ad-Aware and Spybot and almost always one of the other two will report finding spyware on the system.

Uber, I use WEP, but also use MAC filtering to the 2 addresses for the two computers we use. Other than the router IP, those are the only 2 computers in the IP address range. Only do step 4 with my work computer - does that mean I'm paranoid? smile.gif

Lately I've taken to blocking access via Zone Labs firewall from the family computer to my work computer. On that one we run Avast! Antivirus and on my work computer Symantec Antivirus.

Unfortunately, not all websites I access can be reached through Firefox, so I still have IE and on occassion I run Opera.

Like CJ, no broadcast of SSID and 256bit WEP. Boot on password, boot on disk password, screensaver password, application and file passwords - all alphanumeric min 8 chars.

And after you get through all that, all you'll see is access to myfolsom.com rofl.gif

Every Friday it's patch time with XP.... almost becoming a job. I think I'm up to 49 patches or something....
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#19 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

Haha, nice to see smarter consumers now willing to take some time and secure their computers.

I have to try AVG Antivirus, i haven't tried it yet and have been hearing good things about it, maybe i'll install it on my new 700m smile.gif

700m = Godsend

makes my IBM T42 look HUGE.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#20 Merlin

Merlin

Title Space for Sale

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

I love AVG, it detects more than Norton does, uses less resources, and doesn't pester me. Norton, i deleted it once i got it. AVG's the way to go.

#21 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

Just downloaded AVG to give it a trial run and I'm sold! Running a scan now and already caught an infected object that my other Antivirus software missed.

Uber, it's secure the PC or keep buying PCs. Did you know that 8% of all computer purchases are the direct result of computer viruses damaging the system?

And to think I'm just a marketing guy... don't know squat about this stuff. The techies I know go nuts securing their systems and tweaking their firewalls. One even has a DMZ on his home LAN. smile.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

#22 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(CostcoLover @ Aug 19 2005, 08:46 PM)
And to think I'm just a marketing guy... don't know squat about this stuff.  The techies I know go nuts securing their systems and tweaking their firewalls.  One even has a DMZ on his home LAN.  smile.gif

View Post

Haha, we geeks do some crazy sh1t in our spare time...

#23 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(uberman @ Aug 19 2005, 07:53 PM)
Haha, we geeks do some crazy sh1t in our spare time...

View Post

No doubt, but a DMZ?? beaker.gif Come on man!
-- Albert Einstein--

#24 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(CostcoLover @ Aug 19 2005, 09:11 PM)
No doubt, but a DMZ??  beaker.gif  Come on man!

View Post

Well, in a home network with lower amounts of bandwidth, a machine in the DMZ wouldn't have that much work to do, chances are he only has ONE machine relaying requests.

Now in a large corporation, DMZ's are somethign else altogether..

Hey, I built a supercomputer in my garage for my senior project wink.gif rendered a 2 hour video, graphics and SFX heavy, in about 5 minutes smile.gif

I measured it calculating 1.7 teraflops.

#25 Solartide

Solartide

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

Norton
McAfee (sp?)
Adaware Pro (pirated)
Firefox
Spybot

and as a last defence
Hijack This!

#26 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Selbstbeobachtung @ Aug 25 2005, 10:12 AM)
Norton
McAfee (sp?)
Adaware Pro (pirated)
Firefox
Spybot

and as a last defence
Hijack This!

View Post

You run Norton & Mcafee? How does your system hold up? My experience with Norton has been it's sluggish by itself!

#27 Solartide

Solartide

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:05 AM

thats prob why i cant run CSS

my dad wants it running

#28 Merlin

Merlin

Title Space for Sale

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

uninstall norton and McAfee, and just use AVG. shouldn't be a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users