55 replies to this topic

#31 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

I'm confused. Why would you take a $700 tv in for re-pair and be willing to pay $1200 to have it fixed?

Did I misread something?

#32 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 24 2008, 12:18 PM) View Post
I'm confused. Why would you take a $700 tv in for re-pair and be willing to pay $1200 to have it fixed?

Did I misread something?

Yep, you misread. First post: "So, I take my TV in for repairs at Sac Video in Orangevale a couple months ago, after diagnosing the problem they tell me it would cost around $120 to repair."
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#33 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Jun 24 2008, 12:24 PM) View Post
Yep, you misread. First post: "So, I take my TV in for repairs at Sac Video in Orangevale a couple months ago, after diagnosing the problem they tell me it would cost around $120 to repair."

ohhh! ok---whew!

very good then--continue the small business man bashing.

#34 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(GoodFellas @ Jun 23 2008, 08:46 PM) View Post
So, I take my TV in for repairs at Sac Video in Orangevale a couple months ago, after diagnosing the problem they tell me it would cost around $120 to repair. I gave the go-ahead-They told me it would be about a week. About 10 days go by and no word from Sac video, I call and they tell me another week. Week goes by-NO CALL...I call them and they tell me the part is back ordered and would be a few weeks before it would arrive. Now I'm pissed. They tell me they would call me when part arrived... 2 weeks go by and you guessed it- NO CALL. I just called and the number is disconnected! THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS.They stole my $700 TV!!!
I plan on calling BBB tomorrow but will it do any good? Does anyone have suggestions? I blame myself, should have known from thier attitutde. UGHHHH!

I thought the guy was very generous. I bought a used TV worth about $700.00 for about $200.00 during the store closing sale.

#35 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Jun 24 2008, 12:31 PM) View Post
I thought the guy was very generous. I bought a used TV worth about $700.00 for about $200.00 during the store closing sale.

Wait a min... he promised that one to me and I already paid him for it. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

#36 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Jun 24 2008, 12:58 PM) View Post
Wait a min... he promised that one to me and I already paid him for it. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

You are too late, I tossed a brick through his window and "picked it up" last night.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#37 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests: Great food and even better wine!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

ohmy.gif
QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jun 24 2008, 01:07 PM) View Post
You are too late, I tossed a brick through his window and "picked it up" last night.

Ok- not laughing over here! ohmy.gif

#38 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

It might be a bit of a stretch, but it's technically embezzlement if you don't get the property back. He converted use of property he was entrusted with as part of a business arrangement. Value makes it a felony. I'd pursue it with Sac SO. At least file a counter report and get the ball rolling. If enough people are willing to file reports, it might "inspire" the subject to offer to return said property.
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#39 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests: Great food and even better wine!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(jafount @ Jun 24 2008, 01:57 PM) View Post
It might be a bit of a stretch, but it's technically embezzlement if you don't get the property back. He converted use of property he was entrusted with as part of a business arrangement. Value makes it a felony. I'd pursue it with Sac SO. At least file a counter report and get the ball rolling. If enough people are willing to file reports, it might "inspire" the subject to offer to return said property.

Jafount,
Great info...I will take your suggestion. Keep you all posted. Thanks

#40 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(jafount @ Jun 24 2008, 01:57 PM) View Post

That is assuming he did not take the TV in good faith and was operating frequently. That is very unlikely. Most likely he just went out of business. I agree though that the first step (after trying to contact the owner) is to file a police report.

-Robert

#41 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(GoodFellas @ Jun 24 2008, 12:05 PM) View Post
My last coversation with this guy was very clear, I told him I just wanted the TV back. No harm No foul. He was so RUDE! I've attempted to pick TV up but he is never open. This guy is a scam artist. You simply do not treat people like that! What if I did that in my business? You want what? Meatballs? I tell you what you can do with the meatballs! huh.gif

If this is a pattern then you are right. You should file the police report and let them investigate either way. However, if he couldn't return the TV because he had it taken apart but couldn't afford to order the wholesale parts then he just went out of business and you are just another creditor.

BTW: I filed a police report when my son's phone was stolen at the middle school in town. The police actually called several of the numbers the thief had called. Pretty soon the phone turned up. Apparently the thief's friends didn't appreciate getting a call from the police. wink.gif

-Robert

#42 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(TOOK-er @ Jun 23 2008, 09:05 PM) View Post
veinamin said in spanish sounds like a "b" beinamin... can easily be mistaken for benjamin... that MIGHT be how he go his name... good luck with that... i feel like i was part of National Treasure or something... lol

Russu Veniamin is a slav name, not spanish. Benjamin is probably the closest
name to americanizing his eastern european name.

#43 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 24 2008, 03:43 PM) View Post
If this is a pattern then you are right. You should file the police report and let them investigate either way. However, if he couldn't return the TV because he had it taken apart but couldn't afford to order the wholesale parts then he just went out of business and you are just another creditor.

BTW: I filed a police report when my son's phone was stolen at the middle school in town. The police actually called several of the numbers the thief had called. Pretty soon the phone turned up. Apparently the thief's friends didn't appreciate getting a call from the police. wink.gif

-Robert

How is a customer a creditor? The customer owes him money not the other way around. It's not as if a bankruptcy court could come in and seize private property of others because this guy couldn't pay his bills.

Regardless of the status of the business, the outstanding property still exists, in whole or in part, somewhere. Certainly intent plays a major role here, but the bottom line is the property exists. Where is it? Refusal to return property to an individual who entrusted their property with him is embezzlement, defined. The personal property of others does not become assets of the business by default.

This is analogous to an auto mechanic keeping your car just because they had physical possession of it for repair when they went out of business. You can see it locked up inside the garage but you have no rights to your own property? Can the mechanic subsequently file bankruptcy but maintain possession of your vehicle? Doubtful at best.

We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#44 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

I moved this topic in to MyOrangevale.com, as it is an Orangevale business.

#45 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 24 2008, 07:57 AM) View Post
BBB is useless.

+1. That is exactly correct. Don't depend on them for anything except keeping themselves in business!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users