#1 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hello:

I am researching Kumon vs Mathnasium and possibly others in Folsom, EDH area for my first grader. He is incredibly bright and ahead in math and reading, but he is too bored. His teacher wants us to explore some of these places.

Does anyone have any experience with these Kumon, mathasium etc? Looking for BOTH Math and reading.

Any advice and recommendation would be greatly appriciated.

#2 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

LOL! Sounds more like Greek than math to me. tongue.gif

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Feb 26 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello:

I am researching Kumon vs Mathnasium and possibly others in Folsom, EDH area for my first grader. He is incredibly bright and ahead in math and reading, but he is too bored. His teacher wants us to explore some of these places.

Does anyone have any experience with these Kumon, mathasium etc? Looking for BOTH Math and reading.

Any advice and recommendation would be greatly appriciated.

What does your child want?
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 26 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does your child want?

he loves Math and reading. He wants music, art, basketball. I will enroll him in art and basketball and maybe music as well depending on the $$.

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Interesting. We too have faced the issue of a child for whom the regular curriculum is a bit easy.

I wonder about the plan of giving your child extra math. Are you concerned this might put him even more ahead of his classmates, thus INCREASING his boredom with the regular curriculum? Since (as far as I know) there is no way to exempt him from the regular curriculum at school, I'm not sure teaching him "ahead" is a great idea.

As for reading, if he's a great reader, probably your best bet is simply giving him the joy of getting lots of books of his choice from the library. A good reader doesn't really need any tutoring -- just more reading practice. You can encourage him to write some stories at home, too!

In terms of "extras," our philosophy has always been to broaden horizons and introduce new things, rather than doing "more" of what is already taught at school. Music, art, nature camps, science camps, chess... all of these develop thinking and imagination, without making the kid feel like he's just being subjected to more school.

You know your kid best, so you can take or leave these thoughts. I'm assuming your goal is to raise a well-rounded, thoughtful, inquisitive child -- not just a kid who outpaces his peers on math scores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users