#1 tniemotka

tniemotka

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Howdy!

I was told that as of Jan 2012, there was a new law in California that stated a parent could not leave a child home alone until the age of 13. The person who told me is a lawyer, so naturally, I believe. However, I can't find anywhere, anywhere, where this is stated to be in fact, a new law. I looked up new laws for California and this is not listed. I understand about Child Welfare Laws and a parent can get into trouble if the child were injured, etc.

Does anyone know if this law is true? One can be certified as a babysiter at the age of 12... So, the age of 13 to be left alone sounds a little strange.

Anyone know if there is a California law now? Thanks...

-T

#2 Lindke

Lindke

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Have not heard about the Ca. law. Age 12 sounds like a safe age. By 13, they should be ready to seek babysitting jobs!

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Howdy!

I was told that as of Jan 2012, there was a new law in California that stated a parent could not leave a child home alone until the age of 13. The person who told me is a lawyer, so naturally, I believe. However, I can't find anywhere, anywhere, where this is stated to be in fact, a new law. I looked up new laws for California and this is not listed. I understand about Child Welfare Laws and a parent can get into trouble if the child were injured, etc.

Does anyone know if this law is true? One can be certified as a babysiter at the age of 12... So, the age of 13 to be left alone sounds a little strange.

Anyone know if there is a California law now? Thanks...

-T

Does that person specialize in family law? Ca Penal Code 11165 states any child under the age of 18 is the legal responsibility of the parent or guardian.
The article goes on to state that it is within the discretion of the parent in when they may leave a SCHOOL AGED child alone for short durations and includes times from release of school to parent getting off work.

If you have ever had your chld in daycare, then you know that most daycare and afterschool care places will not watch a child after 5th or 6th grade.

If the parents discretion encourages them to find supervised after school care at that age, a sitter or family member is usually encouraged.

The age for child aged baby sitters to have licensing through most city babysitting programs is normally 13 or 14 years of age. Usually children between the age of 10-14 are on tight leashes if they are left at home by themselves bewteen out of school and normal parent daytime schedules for work commute.

What is that? The time a kid gets out of school at 330pm until a normal family gets home at 530 or 6pm? Usually a 12 or 13 year old can handle and usually appreciates having that 2 1/2 to 3 hours window of a quiet house.

Basically, the state law still permits parents to decide when their under 18 year old children are ready to care for themselves, after they have entered grade school.

#4 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

I do not believe a 12 or 13 year old child should babysit younger children. Expecting a 12 or 13 year old child to do CPR on your choking child is just wrong. What if the child didn't perform it correctly? What if someone breaks into the house when you are out to dinner? You really expect a child to protect your child?
You shouldn't babysit until you are 16 in my opinion. I think it's irresponsible and if anything happened don't blame the 12 year old, blame yourself.
If you want to leave your child home alone while you run errands, it really depends upon the child. At least if something happens, you aren't putting another child in jeopardy. Too many parents are so cheap they just justify a 12 year old watching a four year old for hours at a time. I think it's irresponsible and you get what you deserve if God forbid something happens.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#5 FolsomEJ

FolsomEJ

All Star

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Children don't just come in one level of responsibility or maturity at a given age.

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Children don't just come in one level of responsibility or maturity at a given age.

Exactly. There is no magic number, rather it is dependent upon the individuals in any given situation.

I know 10-year olds more mature and responsible than most 16-year olds.

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

why is the government weighing in on this anyway? don't we have more critical issues to solve right now?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

My 13 year old is just about as responsible as they come and I fully trust his judgement to watch my 3 year old. Hell, I'll admit it, he's more mature than I am at times. Super good kid that would do anything for his little sister and his family for that matter.

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

My 13 year old is just about as responsible as they come and I fully trust his judgement to watch my 3 year old. Hell, I'll admit it, he's more mature than I am at times. Super good kid that would do anything for his little sister and his family for that matter.

True story.

#10 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

This might be related to what courts may consider to be the proper age to be left alone, during a divorce proceeding where the 2 sides haven't reached an agreement.

When divorcing parents can't reach an agreement on issues, the court is then forced to establish guidelines and this age of 13 maybe where the courts traditionally recognize as being a responsible enough age to be left alone.

#11 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yeah and like I said in my post, it's up to you to let your child stay alone or watch a sibling, but in NO way should you let a 12 year old or a 13 year old be responsible for someone else's child. Parents can say their child is so responsible, but as we know from countless news type shows that have videotapped children opening the door to a stranger or telling too much info on a phone call when home alone or babysitting, even though they have been told countless times to never do either.
Parents are so selfish and cheap. Spend the extra dollar or two an hour and get an older more wiser young adult. How would you like it if your "responsible" 12 year old watched helplessly as an infant choked and she panicked and couldn't perform CPR and the baby died. How could you put your child in danger and ruin another child's life. NO 12 or 13 year old should ever be responsible for someone else's kid.

#12 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

I could care less what age parents want to leave THEIR child alone or with a sibling. I just think it's irresponsible to make a 12 or 13 year old responsible for someone else's baby/child. If your child panics and sets the house on fire and is too scared to call 911, you get to live with the consequences of your decision, but it's your family that has to suffer and not someone else's.

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

For those who do not know it: The city, and several surounding cities: offer babysitting courses for a very minimal very a few times each year; through their parks and recreation programs. These baby sitting programs tech first aid and CPR for infant/toddler/and child. They also get very heavily involved in talking about identying child abuse, how to recognize scary situations-like strangers at the door or electrical outages. You do not have to limit your children through fear that they cant handle situations. You can empower them to learn and grow.

#14 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

You do not have to limit your children through fear that they cant handle situations. You can empower them to learn and grow.

You are a good parent, you could teach asbestos how to not live with so much paranoia and panic all the time.

#15 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

. You do not have to limit your children through fear that they cant handle situations. You can empower them to learn and grow.

Words we parents should live by. Love it! Thanks for stating it so well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users