15 replies to this topic

#1 decooney

decooney

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Getting the word out to Roger's local cyclist friends...

Very sad news for any of you who might have known Roger Silva, local cyclist and friend. Our dear friend Roger Silva from Rancho Cordova passed on yesterday on the bike trail between Hazel and Sunrise around mile marker 22. For those of you who regularly ride the American River Bike trail in the Rancho, Sunrise, and Hazel area there is a good chance you either knew Roger or rode with him on road bikes and mountain bikes over the past 25 years or more.

I'm an old friend of Rogers and don't bike much any more. Not knowing of any local online bike forums, I thought I'd post it here to try and connect with any of Rogers "road biker" friends. Roger knew so many different people in so many different circles, and the one thing he enjoyed most was riding with all of his cyclist friends here on the local bike trails. Roger was semi-retired, enjoying life, and just happened to be out for an afternoon ride on the bike trail as usual. I contacted Folsom Bike, City Bicycle Works to let others know at a few of the local bike shops. Also, Roger use to hang out with many friends at the local Starbucks on Hazel and Gold River, along with others at La Bou in Rancho Cordova for daily coffee chat. There were many business cards in a pile from workers at all of these different places he frequented. So many friends...

If you were one of the bikers on the trail who stopped and helped try and save Roger late yesterday, the Family wishes to express their sincerest gratitude and appreciation. We heard from the Park Ranger there was a whole group of riders who stopped and helped the best they could until the Ambulance arrived. The family met at the spot today, and is working to determine services for Roger. Roger always told the family if anything ever happened to him, he wanted his ashes to be spread somewhere on the bike trail.

If you knew Roger and could let others know, the family will be announcing details soon. I promised the family that I would try to reach out to his many friends. Rest in Peace Roger, you were a dear friend to so many different people in our town.

D.E.Cooney
Folsom CA

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for your kind words Deb.
Roger was a genuinely kind man. We are saddened by the loss, but heartened that he passed doing what he loved to do best.

E Cooney

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for your kind words Deb.
Roger was a genuinely kind man. We are saddened by the loss, but heartened that he passed doing what he loved to do best.

E Cooney

My husband is an avid rider and rides the trails all the time. I wonder if their paths have crossed.

I'm heartened to know so many people stopped to help Roger.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

I too am sorry for your loss along with his family's. Another sad reminder that life is far shorter than we all think. I haven't been out bike riding in awhile I think tomorrow would be a good day to resume my riding.

#6 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

My condolences to friends and family. I think there was a man who died last year on the bike trail too if my memory is working correctly.

#7 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think there was a man who died last year on the bike trail too if my memory is working correctly.

Good memory, mac_convert. A cyclist suffered a heart attack and died in April 2009 -- same place (mile marker 22).

http://www.tomatopages.com/folsomforum/index.php?showtopic=24247

#8 jalvarez Fuji 2011

jalvarez Fuji 2011

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Very sad news for any of you who might have known Roger Silva, local cyclist and friend. Our dear friend Roger Silva from Rancho Cordova passed on yesterday on the bike trail between Hazel and Sunrise around mile marker 22. For those of you who regularly ride the American River Bike trail in the Rancho, Sunrise, and Hazel area there is a good chance you either knew Roger or rode with him on road bikes and mountain bikes over the past 25 years or more.

I'm an old friend of Rogers and don't bike much any more. Not knowing of any local online bike forums, I thought I'd post it here to try and connect with any of Rogers "road biker" friends. Roger knew so many different people in so many different circles, and the one thing he enjoyed most was riding with all of his cyclist friends here on the local bike trails. Roger was semi-retired, enjoying life, and just happened to be out for an afternoon ride on the bike trail as usual. I contacted Folsom Bike, City Bicycle Works to let others know at a few of the local bike shops. Also, Roger use to hang out with many friends at the local Starbucks on Hazel and Gold River, along with others at La Bou in Rancho Cordova for daily coffee chat. There were many business cards in a pile from workers at all of these different places he frequented. So many friends...

If you were one of the bikers on the trail who stopped and helped try and save Roger late yesterday, the Family wishes to express their sincerest gratitude and appreciation. We heard from the Park Ranger there was a whole group of riders who stopped and helped the best they could until the Ambulance arrived. The family met at the spot today, and is working to determine services for Roger. Roger always told the family if anything ever happened to him, he wanted his ashes to be spread somewhere on the bike trail.

If you knew Roger and could let others know, the family will be announcing details soon. I promised the family that I would try to reach out to his many friends. Rest in Peace Roger, you were a dear friend to so many different people in our town.

D.E.Cooney
Folsom CA

D.E.Cooney
Folsom CA

#9 jalvarez Fuji 2011

jalvarez Fuji 2011

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hello, my name is Johnny, I was the second person on the scene on Thursday afternoon with Roger. I was riding by and I saw a guy who turned out to be a guy named Dave from Atlanta performing CPR on Roger. I immediately pulled over to assist. I asked Dave if he was tired and if he'd like me to assist with CPR, I was trained in CPR at Folsom Prison. Dave and I performed CPR for about 20 minutes before EMT'S arrived. We did everything we possibly could to save your friend, he was still alive by medical standards when they loaded him into the ambulance but I had a bad feeling about him. I was hoping he'd made it, sad to hear for your loss.

Edited by jalvarez Fuji 2011, 12 June 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hello, my name is Johnny, I was the second person on the scene on Thursday afternoon with Roger. I was riding by and I saw a guy who turned out to be a guy named Dave from Atlanta performing CPR on Roger. I immediately pulled over to assist. I asked Dave if he was tired and if he'd like me to assist with CPR, I am Code 1 trained responder at Folsom Prison. Dave and I performed CPR for about 20 minutes before EMT'S arrived. We did everything we possibly could to save your friend, he was still alive by medical standards when they loaded him into the ambulance but I had a bad feeling about him. I was hoping he'd made it, sad to hear for your loss.

Hi, Johnny. Thank you for stopping to help a stranger. You did a good thing.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#11 decooney

decooney

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hello Johnny,

Thank You so much for replying. Hearing from someone who was actually there is very helpful. We are trying to find and get in touch with one of the other riders who was with Roger while they were riding until they stopped. The family thought that Roger might have been by himself, and was relieved to learn later through posts like yours that that Roger was not by himself and had people around him trying to save him. We reached out to Bicycles Plus and a few others to try and get the word out.

I hope to help put the family in touch with the who were actually riding with Roger when this happened. We have a name of one person named Billy Truong but cannot seem to locate him and nobody knows who he is. We think he was riding with Roger. With his feedback, it would help the family to get some closure about what actually occurred. They are hoping to get more details soon from the medical examiner.

I spent quite a bit of time with Roger the prior week, and spoke with Roger that morning. He seemed maybe just a little subdued as compared to normal, but I was not sure exactly. It would also be helpful to know if they were traveling East or West, meaning on their way out or on the return run to get an idea if this occurred as they were just getting started or if they had been riding a while. I rode that stretch with Roger many times in my life, and he could run it all day long and never had an issue. I'm hoping to help the family put a few more pieces together. Totally appreciate your reply and details. If you know any of the other riders who were with Roger at the time, if they could send a private message that would be most helpful. Thank You so much for being there and helping. Its good to know the right people were with Roger during this time.

#12 jalvarez Fuji 2011

jalvarez Fuji 2011

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Billy Truong was the guy that first saw him collapse as he stopped for a rest. As far as we all could tell Roger was riding by himself. He pulled over for whatever reason, I believe he felt something was wrong and tried to rest. Billy was a cyclist that was already resting on a bench looking out onto the river as Roger rode up. They had a short conversation when Roger just collapsed. Billy said he panicked and ran out onto the bike trail to flag someone down for help cause he didn't have a cell phone. That's when Dave stopped, he had rented a bike that day and was in on business from Atlanta. Dave began CPR while Billy rode off east to look for a call box with no success. He came up to the DFG office at the Nimbus fish hatchery where he called 911 from.

I rode up within minutes after all of this and relieved Dave to give him a break. There was another cyclist standing by on the phone with 911 giving descriptions and directions as I approached. In my experience I could tell Roger wasn't really there but his color had changed from purple to normal as a result of CPR and we are trained to continue CPR until you are relieved or they are pronounced dead by a medical professional. We rotated Rogers head uphill and continued chest compressions as medical response arrived. It was my turn at compressions when the responders arrived and they informed me I was doing good CPR to continue while they hooked him up to the AED, inserted a breathing tube and inserted a IV line. They said he still had vital signs as they loaded him onto the back board and relieved me and Dave of CPR. Roger returned to the scene to give his statement.

We wondered if he'd make it or what he had passed out from that would've taken him so quickly.

#13 decooney

decooney

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Johnny,
Thank You so much for this reply and for being there for Roger. Yesterday we all went to the spot together to show the family where Roger was. I'm going to call the family now to let them know so they can read your post. This helps add a lot of closure about Roger's last moments on the Bike trail. It was one of the places he loved the most in life, riding along with all of you who were there with him.

Dave from Alanta and Billy Truong,

If by chance someone forwards this thread to you and you read this..., Thank You so much for every thing you did for Roger. Can't imagine how it was for all of you. We were all wondering if Roger was riding by himself or not. Its good for all to know that he was definitely not alone on the trail when he stopped off in distress. We are so thankful that you were there on the scene when Roger pulled up and how Dave came and provided CPR while Billy went for help. Piecing this all together before and after helps all of us out to try and understand and get closure. We did learn a little from others that Roger might have not been up to par for riding a few days before either.

One thing is certain knowing Roger and spending a lot of time with him on the trail and down at the River during his life, and even more recently at the river. If Roger had a choice on how and where he was to pull off and leave us, it would be right there on the American River Bike trail, on his road bike next to the River.

Sincere gratitude to all of you for your help.

#14 Kick It

Kick It

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

There will be a memorial service for Roger at Sacramento Aquatic Center on Friday 6/15/2012 at 6:30. Please spread the word to the cycling community and friends to pay your last respects and support the family.

#15 decooney

decooney

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Update; Change in Time to the memorial and gathering for Roger.

One of the family brothers called last night and said they moved the memorial for Roger at Sacramento Aquatic Center to 7:15pm. Its going to be hot (low 90s) so the family said to dress super casual, shorts, biking gear, ride up on your bike... or whatever works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users