17 replies to this topic

#1 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:10 PM

This website has illuminated the many various concerns of those who live in Folsom. The city of Folsom government is by "City Charter". To know how actions are, or are not, taken by the elected and appointed "officers" of our city government, you should read the Folsom City Charter.

It is a short document, created in about 1990. It covers all aspects of how our city is run in VERY VAGUE LANGUAGE.

THIS CHARTER NEEDS TO BE AMENDED, so that each department or area of how our city is run, is spelled out in SPECIFIC terms, words,or limits.

It takes a 2/3 vote of the taxpayers to amend any part of the city charter which means a legal petition of signatures.

Some of you have expressed concern about how things are done. Some are unsure about how they feel about how things are done. Others are apathetic or uninterested in how things are done. Hopefully, this last group are in the minority.

Now, it appears, that whatever input is made by any member of the "public" at the City Council meetings, may be discussed, may possibly be considered, or may be totally ignored. There is no way the public can know. Most action is taken "behind closed doors", and the public is informed after action is taken.

The results of the "workshops", "surveys", "paid consultants" etc., are produced in "public" articles, pamphlets, enclosures, etc.

An accurate "count" of the majority VOTE of the people on HOW PUBLIC TAX MONEY IS SPENT is needed BEFORE ACTIONS ARE TAKEN and that can only be done with amendments to the existing City Charter.

How do you feel about this?? Please add constructive suggestions.

#2 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 10:09 PM

Well, I for one don’t like the “Closed Door” decision making and would like to see that changed.
And another thing I’d like is for the citizens of Folsom to be able to see a full disclosure on the spending, plus other documents. I feel we have a right to see that information.
But to tell you the truth, I’d like to see Folsom NOT be a chartered city.

#3 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:17 AM

Is the city charter available on-line for those of us who wish to see it?
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#4 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:31 AM

Yes. smile.gif

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:20 PM

If someone can post the link, I can put it in the Links section, too.
wink.gif

#6 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:28 PM

It (the City Charter) no longer appears to be available on the city's website. The old website had a link to it, but the new website's "Municipal Code & City Charter" has a link only to the Municipal Code:
http://www.folsom.ca...dex.asp?page=41

I'm told that the City Charter forbids out-sourcing of trash collection, even if it can be done more economically by a private company (or even Sacramento County). If true, that sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

#7 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (bettyemahan @ Feb 11 2003, 05:10 PM)
It takes a 2/3 vote of the taxpayers to amend any part of the city charter  which means a legal petition of signatures.

Betty,

Are you sure that a two-thirds vote is needed? According to this link:
http://smartvoter.or...05/ca/sac/meas/

last Fall's Measure P was a "City of Folsom Charter Amendment", and that apparently was successfully passed with a simple majority vote.

I'm not downplaying the difficulty of getting even a simple majority vote passed, but that's got to be far easier than a two-thirds vote.

#8 Folsomite

Folsomite

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:54 PM

I'm told that the City Charter forbids out-sourcing of trash collection, even if it can be done more economically by a private company (or even Sacramento County). If true, that sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Amen to that. And they wonder why we are so suspicious of things. So instead of changing the charter for cheaper trash collection, they raise taxes. Now that makes sense! laughcry.gif

The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

Ben Stein

#9 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:00 PM

I think I was able to download a copy of the city charter by going to the "City Clerk" on the City of Folsom web page but that was a while back. It may have changed since then. I do know that a copy may be requested by mail or phone from the City Clerk, but I do not know if there is a charge for that. There probably is. If any of you are able to obtain copies please post the how on this website and also give your opinion of it. Thanks!

#10 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:22 PM

Go to the city website at http://www.ordlink.c...olsom/index.htm, then go to Miscellaneous, then Charter.

#11 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 05:40 PM

Here's a direct link:

http://www.ordlink.c...9/01/index.html

#12 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, Terry & John. So it is there, after all. I'll see if I can't get them to add a direct link to it on that page I referenced. It certainly isn't obvious (to me, anyway) to get there from the Municipal Code page under Miscellaneous! rolleyes.gif

#13 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:08 PM

Any attorneys out there?

Or, perhaps, just someone who can interpret Section 8.32.010 more clearly than I?
The city, its duly authorized agent, servants, or employees, shall have the exclusive right to gather and collect garbage within the city.

The key phrase is "duly authorized agent". Couldn't that be a 3rd party hired by the city to collect the trash?

This is an interesting document. Thanks again for the link.

#14 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:38 PM

Ok, sorry for so many posts in a row. But I need to clarify the previous post. That text was not from the City Charter; it is part of the Municipal Code. So, if it does prevent the city from contracting out trash collection, it should be much easier to change than trying to change the City Charter. (That's assuming a cooperative Council, of course.)

#15 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 10:33 AM

Kanda---You are probably right as far as the trash goes. But for those who want to download the City Charter go to the following:

www.folsom.ca.us/
departments (in column on left)
city clerk office
city charter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users