New Mayor and vice Mayor

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:02 AM

Found out this morning that Miklos was voted back in as Mayor and that King was voted in as vice mayor.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:06 AM

Hopefully Eric and Andy will keep as sharp eye on things!

#3 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:32 AM

good for Eric!!! He is the only person currently in city hall I trust! wink.gif
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#4 WS Res

WS Res

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 01:10 AM

What has he done to generate confidence?

#5 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 03:02 PM

King's not in developer's back pockets, unlike some people we know (*cough* MIKLOS! STARSKY! *cough*)... he votes based on what's right for residents, not what's right for developers.

I was very disappointed when Miklos was re-elected. It's a shame, because I think that the voters just didn't know any better.
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#6 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 09:06 PM

You are right Jake. I think Andy and Eric will make a good team doing a much better job standing up for Folsom's interests instead of for the steady stream of developers----at least I hope so!! As to the others----unfortunately, it is probably more the case that the developer's people got bsck in mainly because most of the voters don't pay enough asttention to care!! Maybe, with this scam of a 400% increase in the utility costs they are trying to force, some of them will start paying attention to the blatent lies we have been fed!!!

#7 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 09:22 PM

What I'd like to know is.....how are the new low income folks going to pay these high utility bills??? It's no good to build affordable housing, if the utility bills are so high, it puts them right back where they were before, in regards to their finances.
Also, one must curtail their use of water where ever there is a house with a water meter.
If they don't, the monthly water bill will be very depressing for them. I think many will be very surprised at how much water they won't be able to use, without the rate going to the higher price. I'd say, plan on paying about $30 to $50 dollars per month for water.
Now we are talking about paying for the meters to be put in too! Whew!!!

#8 WS Res

WS Res

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 09:47 AM

I am most concerned with the election of Miklos and Howell back to the city council again. Both were either council members or planning commission members during the frenzied buildout of the last 10 years. Also both were the largest recipients of developer contributions to their recent elections. (refer to released Sac Bee campaign disclosure stories) Both are apparently part of the problem that started us down the lawsuit path with Legal Services. In recent council meetings they blamed bad information provided to them by former city staff members. Why don't they accept the responsibility for their previous votes?

King's continued support for developing nearly 50 acres of High Density Low Income housing surrounding the High School at best calls his judgement into question or where some financial support is coming from. After the council voted to remove this area for rezone consideration a few weeks ago, he puts a developer sponsored proposal for the exact same thing, back on the recent meeting agenda to be voted on in closed door session. I wonder why he is pushing so hard to have a cluster project of low income housing sourounding the school. Would he vote to put 50 acres of low income housing in his neighbor hood in the Parkway?

#9 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 04:49 PM

WS Res and April-------It is Miklos & Howell who are the re-elected team who embraced all the develoopment in the last 10 years WITHOUT demanding developoers upgrade sewers, water treatment, etc. I think Eric King is the one councilperson and now along with Andy Morin who have NOT pushed for the south of 50 annex. The proposed higher utility increases are because money has been wasted big time and when they didn't shove the water meters down

#10 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 05:09 PM

----Sorry! I hit a wrong key-----
-----down EVERY RESIDENT'S FINANCIL THROAT. this is just another scam to make us pay for what they should have been doing with the developer money.

If you want to see where the money has been wasted look at the public records at city hall and/or ask the Sac. Grand Jury.

The total amount of the utility increses over 10 years is exactly what consulting engineers told the city it will need for FUTURE DEVELOPMENT!!!!

SOMEONE, IN ADDITION TO THE FEW, had better start screaming also!

These increases have been publically stated as for maintaining and increasing capacity in the Historic District. That is all hooey!!! The upgrading was not done by the developers of all the new building over the last 10 years.

EVERY FOLSOM RESIDENT'S POCKET IS BEING PICKED BIG TIME!!!!!

#11 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 01:40 PM

April - as to your comment that people in affordable housing won't be able to afford Folsom utilities - in general, rental properties include sewer, water and solid waste in the rental fees, so most renters of affordable housing won't be getting a separate utility bill.

#12 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 17 December 2002 - 03:09 PM

To Bettyemahan,
I also thought that Andy and Eric, together, would bring a more balanced City Council. However, I am starting to doubt if there is such a thing as a council member "for the people" anymore. Both Andy and Eric voted for Miklos for Mayor and now Eric is trying to push the blas development. As much as I would like to trust someone on the council, I think it would be unwise to let our guard down just yet!
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#13 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up NRB! I don't trust anyone until I see results! However, There are two---- quote----" suposedly on our side", where before there was only Eric. We---ALL OF ---"US"----HAVE to keep hounding them with e-mails about what we think is not right, and speaking out HERE! I am very upset that Miklos is Mayor again. We need to push for a change in the City Charter so that Folsom taxpayers get to select the Mayor! If you want more reliable info, better than I can give, contact "folsomfish". Thanks again!

#14 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 18 December 2002 - 09:38 AM

Betty, I agree!

We - the city residents - should be able to pick our mayor - NOT the city council members.

I, too, am very discouraged that Miklos is once again Mayor. Like I've said in the past, we need NEW faces, NEW ideas, NEW attitudes, and a NEW agenda in the City Council. With Miklos in the mayor's seat, we are back to where we were when he was last Mayor.

How many times does a person have to be mayor before we realize that the problems of the past will become the problems of the future once more?

The poll on whether the City Council can bought by developers has proven itself to be true! sad.gif

Anyone with ideas on how WE - Folsom residents - could have our say on who becomes our City's mayor?
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#15 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:06 PM

The reason that Miklos is mayor is because the majority of the city council voted for him. The majority of the city council represents, in theory, the majority of Folsom residents. So, unless and until you become a member of the majority, you won't be getting the mayor you want. That's just the way it works folks. It's called a democracy. You elected your representatives - I don't think anyone so far on this board has said they dislike each and every one of the council members, so you each have at least one city council member to represent you. Go ahead and kick and scream and claims it's unfair, but this is the basis of our country - democracy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users