627 replies to this topic

#616 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

Hey I drove by the old High School on Riley and saw all the green signs on the teachers cars there.... saying they don't want to strike, but they will...

I hope they do... that will just P.O. parents and taxpayers and make folks wonder why the teachers union has such a monopoly on education....

We need an alternative to GOVERNMENT RUN PUBLIC SCHOOLS....

#617 dori2u

dori2u

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(EDF @ Apr 19 2007, 08:06 AM) View Post
Hey I drove by the old High School on Riley and saw all the green signs on the teachers cars there.... saying they don't want to strike, but they will...

I hope they do... that will just P.O. parents and taxpayers and make folks wonder why the teachers union has such a monopoly on education....

Good to hear from you again specialEDF! When are you going to speak at a board meeting? These damn teachers standing up for what they believe in. What a horrible example to set for their students. Do you advise your clients to accept a low offer on their home, or do you encourage them to hold out for what you feel is proper compensation? Anyone selling their home should go FSBO, an alternative to realtors!

#618 TM70

TM70

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(EDF @ Apr 19 2007, 08:06 AM) View Post

Yeah...

Oh, hey, we're back...

I agree, when are you gonna come by? We were there again last Thursday in Rancho. Where were you? Hey, I'll bring an "oil can" or two for after, or before you speak. I think it would be great. Yes, you'll probably get booed, but not by me...

Anyway, here is the update...

Our negotiator met with the mediator last Wednesday. He, the mediator, was all set to just come in and tell us to settle...that was until he really looked at the numbers...granted they were our numbers, but it gave him a lot of food for thought.

His next plan was to meet with the district team, but they tried to postpone the meeting AGAIN!!! This has fired up even more people. Mostly fringe people who were in the "I think we should settle" camp. Most of the people I've spoken with were pretty upset about that. Problem is...both sides have to agree to a postponement. Our negotiator basically told them, the district, to take a flying leap, and that they would be meeting with the mediator at their designated time.

Truly, I wasn't a bit surprised. I would do the same thing if I knew I could push this whole thing to the summer. Problem is that there is a little window of time still left before the end of the year. A strike vote will come, unless the district gets it together. I think we all know they will offer something more in tune with what they know is right after the mediator comes back. A face saving move at best...

Eight years ago, we went down the same road. Main difference was that the superintendent left the following year. This guy isn't going anywhere. Not into the classes at least. He has burned some serious bridges. I will be interested to see what his reception will be on August 8th. Which reminds me, gotta get those invites for open house out...I have my coffee ready...

Time to just sit back and see what happens. Oh yeah, in about three weeks we'll get the new medical and dental rates. Let's see couple that with the district screwing around with the numbers and an imminent strike vote. Things do not look good...

#619 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(dori2u @ Apr 21 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post
Good to hear from you again specialEDF! When are you going to speak at a board meeting? These damn teachers standing up for what they believe in. What a horrible example to set for their students. Do you advise your clients to accept a low offer on their home, or do you encourage them to hold out for what you feel is proper compensation? Anyone selling their home should go FSBO, an alternative to realtors!

you Educrats have a stinking monopoly and you will lie cheat do ......Whatever.... to further your agenda... do we have "school choice"? NO we don't in fact you can't stand competition which I have!!! BIG Difference and in fact you don't even want us Parents to even home school Why?

because we do a better Job....

#620 dave

dave

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

I spent two hours of life I can't get back reading all 42 pages. I have come away with these impressions:

I hope that TM70's nasty attitude is not representative of most teachers.

What possible goal could the district have in holding back money and making teachers mad? They can't use ongoing funds to build anything. Most people would find that towards the end of the month there is money left in their checking accounts. That doesn't mean it isn't earmarked for something that needs to be paid.

A 5.26% increase on top of an increase in step or grade for most teachers is pretty darn good.

Offering the most the district could up front without cutting programs again is the right way to do it. Offering less and then playing car salesman would be insulting. But then if I were playing car salesman (like the union appears to be doing) I would claim to be insulted at the district not budging, also.

To cut programs must mean some sort of large decrease (100%) for some school employees, who could possibly be teachers, also.

I agree that teachers should generally be paid better. But it's not going to happen in one year. Actually 5.26% isn't a bad start.

#621 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(dori2u @ Apr 21 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post

hey dori-babe....

You know I wrote my earlier post with a tablet PC and no keyboard... and forgot to answer your question...

Yea I do advise my clients to take a lower offer when the market dictates it... I remember a guy back in 1991 got an offer and turned it down... 13 months later he finally got a new one... only 20,000 less than what he could have taken before....

The deal you are getting is pretty stinking good... and you are a government special interest monopoly like I said earlier... in my "bidness"... we have so much competition... folks are lowering the fees to get business.... don't see you doing that do we...? of course... I'm just a real estate broker... not a "learned" book educated teacher that knows the nuances of life and is tolerant of "mediocraty"... such as your group of friends...

I submit for evidence our "falling" test scores "nationally"... whose to blame for that... we spend more than any other stinking country in the world... especially on teacher pay and benefits...

Tax receipts are going down like the real estate prices.... why should you get a raise when other folks in the private sector don't...?

It's the same old BS... I'm happy my kids are finally out of the clutches of some of these teachers... I wish I had a COLA... or tenure... what other "so called" profession has that...

Get back to me....

Excuse me now while I go work out some of this frustration... between you folks with your hands out for more $$$ and that jerk of a neighbor of mine cutting down my back yard shrubs... don't know who I'm pissed at more....

Should be a great work out....

Love you though....

#622 Mrs.C

Mrs.C

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Jan 29 2007, 04:28 PM) View Post
This comparison to the private sector was brought up because of a previous statement saying teacher sometimes work 50-60 hours per week... for approx 185 days a year. Just wanted to make it clear that the teachers aren't the only one's putting in the extra hours... and this is most likely for an entire year.

I know that you mean well, but you simply do not have all of the facts. There IS no comparison. The equivalent to a teacher, in the private sector, makes about 40% more money for those 50-60 hours and many have an expence account or at least aren't expected to supply the paper and pencils. I know! I have several young family members just starting out who are doing just that. Plus, I am UNEMPLOYED the other days of the year. It is not a paid vacation. I have to save (from my salary) during the 185 days to cover the ~60 days of summer or work a second job to get through the summer. I love teaching. It is a noble profession. I'm good at it and many people doing other things for more money couldn't do my job. Not because they wouldn't sacrifice but because teaching is as much an art form as anything else. The "pay" I would like to have though, is honesty and respect. I would so love it if people could be honest about what we are paying teachers (or not paying them) and stop trying to rationalize it.

#623 Mrs.C

Mrs.C

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(dave @ Apr 23 2007, 02:03 PM) View Post
I spent two hours of life I can't get back reading all 42 pages. I have come away with these impressions:

I hope that TM70's nasty attitude is not representative of most teachers.

A 5.26% increase on top of an increase in step or grade for most teachers is pretty darn good.

I didn't spend 2 hours reading all 42 pages so I don't know about TM70's attitude. I'll tell you this. If TM70 has been a teacher for long, s/he may have a reason to be nasty. I'm pretty happy, but I've "made my peace." The country doesn't really care enough about education to pay for it and you get that for which you pay. Education isn't something that you can profit from in the present tense. We are a consumer society. Education hardly fits into that picture. All of these reasons and more, explain to me why I'm paid so little.

5.26% may sound good but 5.26% of a small salary is still a small salary. I think a lot of teachers are just tired of "being nice." If anything is going to change - pay or performance - maybe people have to get a little nasty.

#624 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Not to mention that our livelihoods are subject to political whims and irresponsible government. Some districts might implement lay-offs this year, cut programs and so-called "fluff" like extra-curriculars, with the budget crisis looming. I imagine some districts could also cut pay. If that happens, you're going to see teachers leaving this profession in droves. Education quality overall will take a nose dive.

Hopefully, it won't come to that. California's already at 46th in the nation when it comes to per pupil spending.

Pari

QUOTE(Mrs.C @ Jan 23 2008, 06:24 PM) View Post
I didn't spend 2 hours reading all 42 pages so I don't know about TM70's attitude. I'll tell you this. If TM70 has been a teacher for long, s/he may have a reason to be nasty. Me, I'm pretty happy but I've sort of made my peace. The country doesn't really care enough about education to pay for it and you get what you pay for. Education isn't something that you can profit from in the present tense. We are a consumer society. Education hardly fits into that picture. All of the reasons and more explain to me why I'm paid so little.

5.26% may sound good but it depends what it is a percentage of. (sorry for the bad grammar) I think a lot of teachers are just tired of "being nice." If anything is going to change - pay or performance - maybe people have to get a little nasty.

Pari

#625 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

sigh, this thread again? If you have something new to say, please start a new thread. This thread is, IMO, worn-out.

#626 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Ditto that. This was settled long ago. This year's issues are very different. I hope to find the time to submit an article on this to the Telegraph.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#627 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Die thread die!

#628 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

god...

don't get me started on this one again...

but if the State budget is in such peril.. then the teachers like the rest of governmente are going to have to take a hit just like the private sector has to....

I mean just because you are a "guv-ment" worker, does that mean you are entitled to a raise every year the the "company" is going broke...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users