Photo
- - - - -

Sam's Club Closing

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Supercenter where Sams is (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want Walmart Supercenter to take over sams club?

1. Yes (21 votes [34.43%])

Percentage of vote: 34.43%

2. No (23 votes [37.70%])

Percentage of vote: 37.70%

3. I don't care (17 votes [27.87%])

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 watstein

watstein

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

I was in the Supercenter Wal-Mart in Roseville and was told that since the Sam's club is not doing so well in folsom, it will become the new Supercenter Wal-Mart for Folsom. This is supposed to happen within the next year. wink.gif

#2 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

To be honest I just don't want to see another bigger box coming to Folsom, but then currently the prices of groceries are just outrageous. So, with the coming of Wal Mart supercenter, I am sure the prices will go down which is a welcome news for me.

#3 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:40 PM

I wouldn't mind but I don't want Costco to get busier. It's hard enough to get gas regardless of when you go. It's close to hwy 50 so it wouldn't affect any residential areas and may even save us a trip to Winco every once in awhile.

#4 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Feb 17 2006, 10:29 PM) View Post

To be honest I just don't want to see another bigger box coming to Folsom, but then currently the prices of groceries are just outrageous. So, with the coming of Wal Mart supercenter, I am sure the prices will go down which is a welcome news for me.

But groceries in the US are so inexpensive compared to other countries. They really aren't that high. If we'd pay more for groceries, we wouldn't have so many illegals coming here (specifically, California) to work. They come because there are jobs. So many of those jobs are in agriculture.

Shop outside of the chain stores (instead go to places like La Superior and farmer's markets), you'd be surprised how much cheaper many items are, especially the necessary items. Not like the Mr. Clean Magic Erasures that I love so much.

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

Wal Mart is the necessary evil. biggrin.gif

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Feb 17 2006, 10:43 PM) View Post

Wal Mart is the necessary evil. biggrin.gif

grrrrr....

#7 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

I used to work as a bag boy in the supermarket in Florida in the late 70's and I remembered people could fill up the buggy for about $50. With $50 now you can barely get anything.

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 17 2006, 10:43 PM) View Post

But groceries in the US are so inexpensive compared to other countries. They really aren't that high. If we'd pay more for groceries, we wouldn't have so many illegals coming here (specifically, California) to work. They come because there are jobs. So many of those jobs are in agriculture.

Shop outside of the chain stores (instead go to places like La Superior and farmer's markets), you'd be surprised how much cheaper many items are, especially the necessary items. Not like the Mr. Clean Magic Erasures that I love so much.

Relax and take it easy girlie. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 17 2006, 10:44 PM) View Post

grrrrr....

#8 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Feb 17 2006, 10:48 PM) View Post

I used to work as a bag boy in the supermarket in Florida in the late 70's and I remembered people could fill up the buggy for about $50. With $50 now you can barely get anything.
Relax and take it easy girlie. biggrin.gif

Yeah, but people were making pennies on today's dollars. More importantly though, people in the 70s were buying more real food and not processed and packaged convenience foods. I bet if one bought food that actually had to be cooked vs. the things we all buy because it makes life easier, the difference wouldn't be as big.

#9 Sweetpea & Snookems

Sweetpea & Snookems

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

I have heard the same thing from a friend who worked there, that the SuperCenter was going to either be built next to the Sam's Club or added on and converted from the Sam's Club. My real concern would be the shopping center where WalMart is right now-with several business vacancies, and Food Source closing in a few more weeks...what on earth will happen to that shopping center?

As far as the Supercenter-right now the Folsom WalMart has been making me claustrophobic-just not enough room for all the merchandise, a crowd of shoppers, and idiots both as employees and customers blocking aisles and trapping folks in the middle of an aisle. Id' be happy to see more room with low prices, so long as they don't let the old store turn into a great hangout for homeless and thugs. I can see them making it the SuperCenter's warehouse though-the old Sam's Club in Rancho, next to Home Depot is actually WalMart's warehouse...I know that for a fact.

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Sweetpea & Snookems @ Feb 17 2006, 10:59 PM) View Post

I have heard the same thing from a friend who worked there, that the SuperCenter was going to either be built next to the Sam's Club or added on and converted from the Sam's Club. My real concern would be the shopping center where WalMart is right now-with several business vacancies, and Food Source closing in a few more weeks...what on earth will happen to that shopping center?

Nugget Markets needs to come out here!

#11 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

As I recalled in the 70's the foods were the same as today's. I still remembered having a steak dinner for only $3.00 ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 17 2006, 10:55 PM) View Post

Yeah, but people were making pennies on today's dollars. More importantly though, people in the 70s were buying more real food and not processed and packaged convenience foods. I bet if one bought food that actually had to be cooked vs. the things we all buy because it makes life easier, the difference wouldn't be as big.

#12 Sweetpea & Snookems

Sweetpea & Snookems

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

I remember filing a gas tank for $4 & crapping my pants when I had to buy gas for $1.25 a gallon

Oh, I've never heard of Nuggets Market-what is it and maybe they should. It sounds Trader Joe'ish

#13 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE(Sweetpea & Snookems @ Feb 17 2006, 10:59 PM) View Post

That probably would not be a problem. In fact, I see it as a great opportunity for many businesses. It's a very high visibility area, something would come in almost immediately. KMart just across the street was not closed very long before Kohl's came in. I see it as a great opportunity to add some new life in to the center.

#14 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Feb 17 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

As I recalled in the 70's the foods were the same as today's. I still remembered having a steak dinner for only $3.00 ! biggrin.gif

Bagged salads? Rotisserie chickens? Lunchables? GoGurts? Cheese sticks? Hot Pockets? Kudos bars?

Bagged salads and rotisserie chickens are two of the fastest growing grocery products and they indicate a willingness to spend more to prep less. Children influences purchases more now than ever, hence the growth of youth-oriented foods.

Basic grocery prices may have risen over the years, but our willingness to spend more for convienence foods has completely changed the marketplace over the past ten years. Except for one little sales "experiment," I focused on consumer marketing for a decade before having kids. Beginning to end, it changed dramatically.

QUOTE(Sweetpea & Snookems @ Feb 17 2006, 11:09 PM) View Post

I remember filing a gas tank for $4 & crapping my pants when I had to buy gas for $1.25 a gallon

Oh, I've never heard of Nuggets Market-what is it and maybe they should. It sounds Trader Joe'ish

Nugget Markets rock. They are a locally owned, full-service supermarket. I think they are based in Woodland and stretch from Vallejo to Roseville. High quality, high service. A bit more expensive then the Safeways, but the service, selection and quality, IMO, more than make up for it. They try to buy locally when possible, too, so the quality is good. Excellent corporate culture and employees are uber-happy across the board.

#15 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 17 2006, 10:55 PM) View Post

Technically, we are making less today than we (Americans) did in the '70s. Our dollar goes far less, and wages have not risen.

Wait til foreigners stop lending to us or actually request that we start paying them back on the money they have lended to us.

Actually, we can't go to them for more money, until the Congress goes ahead and OKs us going further into debt. http://yahoo.reuters...99&related=true

It's amazing this is not front page news, but hidden in the back. If you know anything about economics, you should be scared. By the way, it's not being Chicken Little as it is facing reality.

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users