9 replies to this topic

#1 headshrink

headshrink

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

I know this forum hardley sees any traffic these days, but maybe someone will see it.

We just spotted a Bobcat on the trails on The Parkway.  This happened on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, with plenty of people out.

This is the exact location

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have a feeling we'll be hearing about more of these kind of sightings with the drought.  A bear was just captured near Hazel & Oak Avenue in Orangevale.

Also, rabies comes to mind when a nocturnal animal is out and about during the day and unafraid of humans.  

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

its not uncommon to see bobcats during the day.  they aren't that nocturnal.  when we see them along lake natoma, its always during the morning and later in the day, but in the sunshine.  you were lucky to see one!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

its not uncommon to see bobcats during the day.  they aren't that nocturnal.  when we see them along lake natoma, its always during the morning and later in the day, but in the sunshine.  you were lucky to see one!

They aren't nocturnal?  Everything I've read says they are, especially in urban areas.  It might not be too unusual to see them in the early morning, but I'd be surprised to see one in the middle of the day.

#5 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

I saw it too, riding over there this weekend.  Without going into too much detail, we are 100% certain this was a Common FAT Housecat and not another animal.  :lmaosmiley: 

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

I had one in my yard charge a group of turkeys about noon one day.  pretty cool.

#7 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

I saw one about a month ago. Couldn't believe my eyes and drove back around to see if I could see it again. I KNEW it was way too big to be a domestic cat and wanted to confirm what I saw.  Found it again, licking it's privates under a tree just like a regular house cat. Looks up at me with the "What?" expression. I had a huge smile. Sacred encounter with wild animal... a little sullied but still cool.

Dawn Grove

#8 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

I saw one about a month ago. Couldn't believe my eyes and drove back around to see if I could see it again. I KNEW it was way too big to be a domestic cat and wanted to confirm what I saw.  Found it again, licking it's privates under a tree just like a regular house cat. Looks up at me with the "What?" expression. I had a huge smile. Sacred encounter with wild animal... a little sullied but still cool.

OMG ya tell good yarns  :)

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

Can you imagine how catastrophic developing south of 50 is going to be for so many beings who have lived there for hundreds and hundreds of years? I know we traditionally think of their existence as amusing and unimportant, but it's worth a moment of reflection. Whenever I hear about a bobcat or other critter sighting that we are crowding out of their home habitat, I think about what's in the future for them.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

Can you imagine how catastrophic developing south of 50 is going to be for so many beings who have lived there for hundreds and hundreds of years? I know we traditionally think of their existence as amusing and unimportant, but it's worth a moment of reflection. Whenever I hear about a bobcat or other critter sighting that we are crowding out of their home habitat, I think about what's in the future for them.

I think about those things, too.  We used to regularly see deer at the bottom of Glenn by the trail, but not anymore.  We do still see turkeys, though.

It's going to be a massacre of little critters when they build those 315 homes at Parkshore Drive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Parkway, Bobcat, Mountain Lion, Cougar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users