Photo

New Off-roading Limits

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: For or against new restrictions (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you for the new restrictions?

1. Yes, I think 4-wheeling is damaging to the environment (13 votes [40.62%])

Percentage of vote: 40.62%

2. No, everyone has the right to enjoy the forest (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

3. Undecided (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Apr 3 2008, 12:57 PM) View Post
You're talking about Bassi Falls... you can still hike it.... rolleyes.gif

I knew it started with a B, but all that was coming to my mind was Burney Falls which I know is up East of Redding. I tried Google Maps and located the area, but it didn't say anything. I think it is my Topo software at home that labels the area above the falls as Bassi which is what I was hoping to find on Google.

That my be a good spot for my son's first backpacking trip this summer. Not too far of a hike and not much elevation change.
I would rather be Backpacking

#17 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Apr 3 2008, 12:40 PM) View Post
If MOST clean up after themselves, why was the last time I was at Little Sluice, there was exposed TP every 3 to 5 feet anywhere I looked in the forest. It was truly disgusting to see that much litter and knowing what was not properly buried below that tuft of white. If it had been properly buried, the white stuff wouldn't be exposed.
If MOST 4-wheelers cleaned up after themselves, the 4-wheeling club called "Pirates of the Rubicon" wouldn't have a need for their annual run to clean up the trail late in the season.

But yes, I was bummed when the trail to (I can't think of the name) Falls above Union Valley Reservoir was closed. That was great place to go for a quick one-day run.

Bill....Many people are still bummed that Bassi Falls was closed off. You can still hike there like I have and in the next month will all the snow run off those falls will be magnificent. It wasn't the 4 wheelers that got that place closed, but it was an easy trail that all the young kids could go out there and party and trash.

I agree that LS was disgusting. It sounds like its been a while since you have been to the Rubicon. Its pack in and pack out. Including the human waste. It's hard to bury anything up on the Con because its all granite up there covered with a shallow layer of dirt. A lot has changed in the last 5 to 10 years.

The reason POR has a clean up is to be good stewards to the trail. Its not solely about picking up trash, but blocking illegal bypasses, installing water bars, erosion mitigation and the overall upkeep of the trail. Its not really the "Pirates" much anymore, but groups like Friends of the Rubicon(FOTR), Rubicon Oversight Committee (ROC). There are projects done throughout the year keep the trail in great shape.

#18 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Howdy @ Apr 3 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post
Bill....Many people are still bummed that Bassi Falls was closed off. You can still hike there like I have and in the next month will all the snow run off those falls will be magnificent. It wasn't the 4 wheelers that got that place closed, but it was an easy trail that all the young kids could go out there and party and trash.

I agree that LS was disgusting. It sounds like its been a while since you have been to the Rubicon. Its pack in and pack out. Including the human waste. It's hard to bury anything up on the Con because its all granite up there covered with a shallow layer of dirt. A lot has changed in the last 5 to 10 years.

The reason POR has a clean up is to be good stewards to the trail. Its not solely about picking up trash, but blocking illegal bypasses, installing water bars, erosion mitigation and the overall upkeep of the trail. Its not really the "Pirates" much anymore, but groups like Friends of the Rubicon(FOTR), Rubicon Oversight Committee (ROC). There are projects done throughout the year keep the trail in great shape.

The one time I was at Bassi Falls about 7-8 years ago it was out of control. It was like a 4 wheel monster truck convention, partying everywhere, cans, bottles all over the place and of course gunshots going off "somewhere close by" followed by drunken laughter.

Not a place I'd take my son on his first hiking trip unless it's changed a LOT.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#19 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(Howdy @ Apr 3 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post

That's good to here. I sold my rock-crawler in the spring of 2002, so summer 2001 was my last time up on the Rubicon Trail.

#20 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Apr 3 2008, 01:42 PM) View Post
The one time I was at Bassi Falls about 7-8 years ago it was out of control. It was like a 4 wheel monster truck convention, partying everywhere, cans, bottles all over the place and of course gunshots going off "somewhere close by" followed by drunken laughter.

Not a place I'd take my son on his first hiking trip unless it's changed a LOT.

Completely changed. Not the same at all...

#21 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

My attitude comes from people like yourself that type things that have no bearing in fact. I would hate for someone to read what you write and actually take some credence from it.

QUOTE(supermom @ Apr 3 2008, 12:40 PM) View Post
To be honest with you--I don't think they even should have a place in the state parks.

4 wheeling isn't allowed in state parks unless it is an OHV park like Prarie City or Hollister Hills, so I am not sure what you are trying to say. Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to drive their 4wd to a state park and see the sites?

I feel they should be authorized in your backyard or in professionally built place that caters to these vehicles and their riders. but, just because I feel that way doesn't mean I jumping all over you. It's obvious that you feel strongly about this issue. Whatever.

I feel strongly about this issue because we are talking about our freedoms. A National Forest is meant to be used by the people in many different ways including OHV. We are not talking about a National or State Park which are meant to be admired. After you kick out the 4wheelers, then who is next? The motorcycle riders? mountain bikers? horse riders? hunters? You are starting to set a dangerous precedence that only a select few will be able to enjoy the beauty that our tax dollars pay for unless you conform to their view of the world. Forget enjoying the forest they way you like. You see it their way or no way at all. Thats not the way I intend to live.

#22 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

Well, it's nice to know you do have a thought on something --one way or the other but I do think you are being condescending.

I merely feel that the last few "nice forests" left, should be non vehicular.

#23 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Howdy @ Apr 3 2008, 01:12 PM) View Post
My attitude comes from people like yourself that type things that have no bearing in fact. I would hate for someone to read what you write and actually take some credence from it.
4 wheeling isn't allowed in state parks unless it is an OHV park like Prarie City or Hollister Hills, so I am not sure what you are trying to say. Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to drive their 4wd to a state park and see the sites?

I feel strongly about this issue because we are talking about our freedoms. A National Forest is meant to be used by the people in many different ways including OHV. We are not talking about a National or State Park which are meant to be admired. After you kick out the 4wheelers, then who is next? The motorcycle riders? mountain bikers? horse riders? hunters? You are starting to set a dangerous precedence that only a select few will be able to enjoy the beauty that our tax dollars pay for unless you conform to their view of the world. Forget enjoying the forest they way you like. You see it their way or no way at all. Thats not the way I intend to live.

as our population continues to rise, isn't it important that we preserve wild spaces just for the need to have them? its important we protect and preserve the environment. that means we protect areas without roads. once they are gone, they are gone forever. protecting the national forest is protecting it for everyone. that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to go into it. it means you are restricted in how you access it. that may mean no motor vehicles. no one is stopping you from going in. its not a select few.

if we don't have some areas that are protected, then we lose more and more species as well. I would prefer to live in a state that I know still has wild and open natural lands, even if I can't drive in to see them. it makes me feel better just knowing they are there and that, hopefully, they will be there for future generations.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#24 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Apr 3 2008, 02:26 PM) View Post
as our population continues to rise, isn't it important that we preserve wild spaces just for the need to have them? its important we protect and preserve the environment. that means we protect areas without roads. once they are gone, they are gone forever. protecting the national forest is protecting it for everyone. that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to go into it. it means you are restricted in how you access it. that may mean no motor vehicles. no one is stopping you from going in. its not a select few.

if we don't have some areas that are protected, then we lose more and more species as well. I would prefer to live in a state that I know still has wild and open natural lands, even if I can't drive in to see them. it makes me feel better just knowing they are there and that, hopefully, they will be there for future generations.

Don't listen to Karen too much. It sounds good on the surface until you start digging in to it. smile.gif

#25 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Howdy @ Apr 3 2008, 02:49 PM) View Post
Don't listen to Karen too much. It sounds good on the surface until you start digging in to it. smile.gif

Who's Karen?

#26 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Apr 3 2008, 02:20 PM) View Post
Well, it's nice to know you do have a thought on something --one way or the other but I do think you are being condescending.

I suppose thats why there are different groups so everyone can find a place to fit in. Everyone has an opinion on the enviroment and how it should be used. I am done voicing mine. As they say arguing on the internet is like competing the special olympics....

#27 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Apr 3 2008, 02:26 PM) View Post

This is already being done by the Designated Wilderness Areas plus the backcountry in the National Parks.
To name a few in CA: Trintiy Alps Wilderness, Granite Chief Wilderness, Desolation Wilderness, Mokelumne Wilderness, Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, Hoover Wilderness, Emmigrant Wilderness, John Muir Wilderness, Golden Trout Wilderness.

Now for some parks, Yosemite, Sequoia National, Kings Canyon.

These are just the ones I've gone backpacking in myself so they all came from memory. Oops, that's a little misspeak, I've mapped routes in all of the above, but I haven't yet been to John Muir or Golden Trout.

#28 dan76

dan76

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

Thats what National Parks are for. You can't go"off road" there. Or do you mean that you don't want "any" vehicles at all in the forests. Just people on foot.

#29 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

Yeah...because this isn't condescending at all:

Not sure about the you don't make any sense part: unless your referring to **gasp** your attitude of quick anger when someone says hey, the offroad vehicles should have their own entertainment facilities and venues. To be honest with you--I don't think they even should have a place in the state parks. I feel they should be authorized in your backyard or in professionally built place that caters to these vehicles and their riders. but, just because I feel that way doesn't mean I jumping all over you. It's obvious that you feel strongly about this issue. Whatever.

The argument that a hiker caused a fire so off roaders do less damage is: well, lame.
Last year a lawnmower caused a big fire. Therefore should we outlaw all vehicles with lawnmower sized engines or smaller--from state parks?
Sorry. Just had to go there.

huh.gif

You wonder why people are "quick to jump on you"? I can tell you. It's because everything you disagree with in this forum isn't just met with disagreement, it's met with all your reasons why no one else should be permitted to engage in the activity as well.

We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#30 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

I had a Jeep for a number of years and very much enjoyed taking it off road - into trails that led out to nowhere, doing lots of very fun exploring in the mountains around here and the deserts in So Cal and in the Colorado rockies

In all cases I stayed on designated trails which is what all people who go out 4x4ing should do

Unfortunately not all do what should be done and it screws the rest of us over and we lose access to some great roads and trails out there

Its too bad that a few aholes and few ubber libs cause us to lose access to these great trails

too many restrictions, too many fools.... it ruins it for those of us who do play by the rules

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users