- - - - -

What Are People Thinking?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Most pools require pool safe diapers or pull ups. Not sure what the policy is at the Folsom pool. One of the most common occurances AT the pool is when a infant or toddler gets out of the pool the diaper is changed at pool side. How is this any different ?

Well, I still see toddlers swimming, in a public pool, with diapers on as unsanitary. When my kids were small, we had them run through the sprinklers and they seemed to enjoy it just as much. We also had a wading pool in the back yard and made sure they had not eaten, so to lessen the chance they would not be having any accidents in the pool.

I'm not sure there are any diapers that are totally leak proof. So, pool safe diapers just doesn't compute in my mind. They'd have to be all rubber on the outside and skin tight at the waist and legs. That does not sound too comfortable for Baby to me.

As far as changing a baby's diaper at the side of the pool, I find that just as disgusting. And it points to lazy mothers, unwilling to go a few more steps to a private place for the changing.

There seems to be a lot of lazy mothers these days. (No pun intended, but laugh if it makes you feel good!) :D:

#17 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

No public pool should be considered sanitary- I bet most of the kids 5- 13 or even older as well as some adults are peeing in the pool or water park feature rather then getting out to use the rest room. That is one reason public pools are so heavily chlorinated.

And about changing a diaper in public- it is NO BIG DEAL - and I am sure that it would not have any future effect on the child....

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

No public pool should be considered sanitary- I bet most of the kids 5- 13 or even older as well as some adults are peeing in the pool or water park feature rather then getting out to use the rest room. That is one reason public pools are so heavily chlorinated.

And about changing a diaper in public- it is NO BIG DEAL - and I am sure that it would not have any future effect on the child....

I agree. I don't see what the big deal is if the child was preschool age. Those changing tables are meant for infants. The floor in the restroom is wet and slippery. It would have been harder to change a pull-up swim diaper in there and the child would have still been visible to whoever walked in (for all of 10 seconds). What was the temp. yesterday? About a hundred or so? I wouldn't want to change the child in the car because the upholstery would burn their bare bottom.

It's a public pool designed for children. You're gonna see stuff like this.

I always dreaded when my kids wanted me to go into the middle pool with them because "it's warmer." I called it the snot pool. But sometimes as a parent you just have to be strong and take one for the team when it comes to your kids. I guess the only way to stop that would be forcing swimmers to wear noseplugs, but I don't want to give any germophobes ideas :P

#19 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

This thread is funny. I'm routinely amazed by the things people find to complain about.

#20 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I always dreaded when my kids wanted me to go into the middle pool with them because "it's warmer." I called it the snot pool. But sometimes as a parent you just have to be strong and take one for the team when it comes to your kids. I guess the only way to stop that would be forcing swimmers to wear noseplugs, but I don't want to give any germophobes ideas :P

LOL - I forgot about the SNOT Factor... :rolleyes:

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#21 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

We never took our kids to a public pool because of the fact that the two times we did, they got sick. So, it was off to the store to buy a wading pool when they were toddlers and then we moved to a home that had a full sized swimming pool.

I agree nobody should ever consider a public pool to be sanitary. Also, I wonder how healthy it is to be in contact with the high chlorine levels that public pools have.

I won’t even go there with the snot factor, ugh!

Gee, what does a little wading pool cost these days? The child sure can’t fall on the cement and bust their head in it, if it is placed on the lawn.....an added plus!

:P

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

We never took our kids to a public pool because of the fact that the two times we did, they got sick. So, it was off to the store to buy a wading pool when they were toddlers and then we moved to a home that had a full sized swimming pool.

I agree nobody should ever consider a public pool to be sanitary. Also, I wonder how healthy it is to be in contact with the high chlorine levels that public pools have.

I won’t even go there with the snot factor, ugh!

Gee, what does a little wading pool cost these days? The child sure can’t fall on the cement and bust their head in it, if it is placed on the lawn.....an added plus!

:P

We all make different choices. We couldn't afford a pool and couldn't afford private swim lessons so it was public pools if I wanted my children to learn to swim. The worst they ever got was swimmer's ear.

#23 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just wondering how this would compare for you if the mother was breastfeeding in public...

I breast fed my children when they were young. I ensured that I kept them on a routine and encouraged stability and a feeling of safety and inducement to a positive feeding experience by going out of my way to make sure I knew where quiet and safe places to feed my babies were; if I could not be at home or at the nannies (lunch time). Yes, I do believe in private feeding, because I believe in modesty - but even more..I believe that giving my babies my undivided attention and eye contact was very important when they were feeding. That belief continued on when they went to bottle and eventually sippee. I find it very odd you brought that up, BTW. I think proper decorum in public if breast feeding should be finding a place as quiet and least distracting as possible, and using a breast pad/blankie if not possible. I do not believe it is impossible to find privacy to breastfeed unless on a plane. Most women who are blatantly feeding while fully exposed just choose to be exhibitionists because they want to rather than showing decorum in public.

Most pools require pool safe diapers or pull ups. Not sure what the policy is at the Folsom pool. One of the most common occurances AT the pool is when a infant or toddler gets out of the pool the diaper is changed at pool side. How is this any different ?

Most pools require swimmers, not pullups or diapers. and swimmers do not block urine or feces from breaking down and go into the water. They only are designed o not fall apart into clumps that the pools filter systems can't handle.

And this woman was not pool side. She was on the sidewalk outside the facilities fences when she pushed her child against the brick wall and tore the pullup off of him. Further, I think it is the exception, not the rule- for a mother to take her child's swimmer off, at poolside. Most women prefer to take a towel lay it on a baby changing station that fully supports infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, and change them there. Most parents would find it a good opportunity to discuss with their young charges about toilet time and alerting mommy/daddy about feeling "the need" to go.

Sorry I think you just want to vilify me because of a different forum thread pertaining to a lack of employment screening procedures, rather than pay attention to the message that was i this very different thread.

Maxine- thanks for reading the message rather than getting blustery about some other thread that did not have anything to do with this thread. Most people do understand that training children i societal norms begins with consistent care and love from the very beginning. Not when they are suddenly a kindergartner, instead of a preschooler. Children appreciate learning the differences between "streak" time after a bath at home and fully clothed for the occasion when in public. This is how they learn societies expectations.

#24 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Most women who are blatantly feeding while fully exposed just choose to be exhibitionists because they want to rather than showing decorum in public.

Seriously? You do know that breast feeding isn't a sexual activity, right?

#25 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Seriously? You do know that breast feeding isn't a sexual activity, right?

Seriously? Where did I imply that sexual activity in exhibitionism?

You are allowing your own clouded feelings on the subject to put un-worded meaning into my statements. Read again.

#26 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Spot on Folsom500. SOOOO tired of hypersensitive new age parents. And Maxine, obviously you've never been to this pool. There are so many toddlers and the bathrooms get full on hot days. Perhaps, it was a faux pas, but you and Dude and Supermom need to relax. No one said the Pull-Up was full and more than likely it was just wet from the pool since the child was preschool age! No big deal, gheez. AND Dude, you should talk most of your comments come off as sophisticated as a high school age Beavis or Butthead.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#27 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

My take on this, FWIW. Children develop a sense of modesty at different ages and sometimes parents are insensitive to situations from their children's perspective, opting to do what is most expedient for them. A preschool-aged child who wears pull-ups could be three....we don't know; the older the child is the more sensitive or uncomfortable that child might be to being put in this situation.

I have a vivid memory of my mother insisting that I change out of a bathing suit on a crowded beach when I was a young child (don't remember how old I was, but I remember arguing that I'd rather change in the bathroom). She haphazardly held up a towel, which insufficiently shielded me (people around us 360 degrees), and I remember being extremely embarrassed and panic-stricken that people could see me.

In the situation described in the original post, the least the mother could have done was to try to shield the child with a towel. Since there was a wall behind the child, she could have held the towel up in front of the child to help teach modesty and respect his developing sense of modesty.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#28 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Spot on Folsom500. SOOOO tired of hypersensitive new age parents. And Maxine, obviously you've never been to this pool. There are so many toddlers and the bathrooms get full on hot days. Perhaps, it was a faux pas, but you and Dude and Supermom need to relax. No one said the Pull-Up was full and more than likely it was just wet from the pool since the child was preschool age! No big deal, gheez. AND Dude, you should talk most of your comments come off as sophisticated as a high school age Beavis or Butthead.

I'm Beavis

#29 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

This post and thread cracks me up! For the most part, Americans are total prudes about the human body. In Europe, parts of Asia and the Pacific, kids younger than 5 or so don't wear ANYTHING at the beach, sometime in parks or at a pool. It doesn't seem to bother anyone, the kids included. At the same time those cultures seem to have fewer pedophiles than the US. Maybe all that repressed sexual tension breeds pedophiles :P . Come on people, little kids bodies are not that exciting or dirty. They are pretty much indifferent to it as long as the adults don't make a big deal out of it. Seems as though too many of the adults are Puritans at heart. Maybe that comes from the early Puritan founders of the US. :D:

#30 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

This post and thread cracks me up! For the most part, Americans are total prudes about the human body. In Europe, parts of Asia and the Pacific, kids younger than 5 or so don't wear ANYTHING at the beach, sometime in parks or at a pool. It doesn't seem to bother anyone, the kids included. At the same time those cultures seem to have fewer pedophiles than the US. Maybe all that repressed sexual tension breeds pedophiles :P . Come on people, little kids bodies are not that exciting or dirty. They are pretty much indifferent to it as long as the adults don't make a big deal out of it. Seems as though too many of the adults are Puritans at heart. Maybe that comes from the early Puritan founders of the US. :D:

you are mis-informed.

the rates of human trafficking in Europe have dramatically risen in the last few years. California surpasses many European places. You did know that, though? That Sacramento is considered a hub for distribution of transporting humans through to other places for reasons if sex slavery?

Cities that actually thought they would be progressive and legalize prostitution have found that human trafficking became a major concern after easing laws on prostitution. Why? Because they can hide their victims in plain site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users