#31 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (baltimore? @ Feb 2 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously! Chris, you seem like a pretty cool guy, probably the kind of guy that most other people would love to hang out with. Sometimes, though, you make some pretty hardcore judgemental comments. You know nothing about this guys situation. Not to mention, your point of working three fast food jobs...even if you worked three FULL TIME jobs at a generous (for the industry) hourly rate of $10? Before taxes, that is a take home of $1200 a week, $62,400 a year. I don't know many households that could survive off that now days. Not to mention, one would have to work 17.15 hours per day, seven days a week to work three full time jobs. While technically possible, it is not very probable.

Anybody, making $60,000 a year and asking for handouts pisses me off.

Those hands outs are for people who are grievously ill, injured or mentally challenged and are unable to get a job that pays more than the state indigenous level. which is somewhere around $32,000 a year.

and for the record--according to the Sacramento County --- you can't even get food stamps, reduced kids lunches or reduced bus passes if you make more than this amount.

There are lots and lots of people in Sacramento County who are are in this category. And have large families.
They know how to budget their needs vs their wants.

Maybe that's why they see a guy who owns a house and is bitching about food stamps and they stand there in shock. EDH is being a little too liberal with their funds for the "struggling".

#32 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

[edit] Didn't see the quote. Eh. Still, it's a good point. When you consider that the house sucks a lot of money down the drain *and they can't sell it*, their real income would be as low as 5k or 10k. And let's not forget medical expenses!

Why do you assume they're making 60k? Also, what part of "he lost his job" do you not understand? Remember that they spent every bit of their savings *and* retirement account before getting to this point, but between the house and medical costs of the children, they're facing a lot of problems.

Also, in all likelihood they cannot sell the house; that's why lots of people end up foreclosing even if they don't need too (to the point the banks are thinking of forgiving it on their credit ratings after 2 years instead of 7).

Frankly your logic makes no sense. Just because your successful doesn't mean you can live without a job at all. Success isn't a privilege, it's something you *earn*, so if you can't earn it you don't get it.

Joe

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 25 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody, making $60,000 a year and asking for handouts pisses me off.

Those hands outs are for people who are grievously ill, injured or mentally challenged and are unable to get a job that pays more than the state indigenous level. which is somewhere around $32,000 a year.

and for the record--according to the Sacramento County --- you can't even get food stamps, reduced kids lunches or reduced bus passes if you make more than this amount.

There are lots and lots of people in Sacramento County who are are in this category. And have large families.
They know how to budget their needs vs their wants.

Maybe that's why they see a guy who owns a house and is bitching about food stamps and they stand there in shock. EDH is being a little too liberal with their funds for the "struggling".

#33 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

And I have one more point. Judging someone for owning a house is wrong. I have a friend who lives below the poverty line, in a house that's fairly comfortable and has a pool. How did this happen? Her husband died and she has diabetes, and can't work more then part-time because of it (her children work as much as they can, but they've not been able to find any jobs at all for the past year).

She's owned the house for a long time, so I imagine it's not a big expense to live there. But it shows you the mistake of judging someone simply because they used to have enough money to earn a house (and if they had that money for long enough, they might even have been able to *keep* the house after losing income).

#34 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (joeedh @ Feb 25 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I have one more point. Judging someone for owning a house is wrong. I have a friend who lives below the poverty line, in a house that's fairly comfortable and has a pool. How did this happen? Her husband died and she has diabetes, and can't work more then part-time because of it (her children work as much as they can, but they've not been able to find any jobs at all for the past year).

She's owned the house for a long time, so I imagine it's not a big expense to live there. But it shows you the mistake of judging someone simply because they used to have enough money to earn a house (and if they had that money for long enough, they might even have been able to *keep* the house after losing income).

re-read--

I was responding to someone els'e post--
I am not attacking the OP or the person the article was about.

And I don't care if they own the house or rent.

If they are in a house that requires more than their monthly cash flow for subsistence (mortgage or rent)- then they are living beyond their means. shrink down. just like so many other people have to.

It may hurt your pride. It may hurt to say good bye to your house. But---it can mean the difference of living independently or being dependent on the county.

#35 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

The farce that is the need for H1B immigrant workers isnt helping unemployment stats either.

#36 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Re-read yourself. Most likely they *are* losing their house, since they *can't sell it*. You can't sell a house and then just keep the remainder of the loan around; banks don't like unsecured loans of that size, you'd have to have assets to secure the loan.

So they face a painful foreclosure process, and then they'll likely end up in a cheap apartment somewhere.

Joe

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 25 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
re-read--

I was responding to someone els'e post--
I am not attacking the OP or the person the article was about.

And I don't care if they own the house or rent.

If they are in a house that requires more than their monthly cash flow for subsistence (mortgage or rent)- then they are living beyond their means. shrink down. just like so many other people have to.

It may hurt your pride. It may hurt to say good bye to your house. But---it can mean the difference of living independently or being dependent on the county.

#37 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (joeedh @ Feb 26 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Re-read yourself. Most likely they *are* losing their house, since they *can't sell it*. You can't sell a house and then just keep the remainder of the loan around; banks don't like unsecured loans of that size, you'd have to have assets to secure the loan.

So they face a painful foreclosure process, and then they'll likely end up in a cheap apartment somewhere.

Joe

oh, god: the worst thing that could happen. You end up in an apartment

Grow some intestinal fortitude-get past that lump in the back of your throat and hey---life will get better.

Millions of people in the US live in apartments.

#38 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

ZOMG?! Not... *gasp* an APARTMENT!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#39 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 26 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh, god: the worst thing that could happen. You end up in an apartment

Grow some intestinal fortitude-get past that lump in the back of your throat and hey---life will get better.

Millions of people in the US live in apartments.

Including myself (well, a house with roommates).

Tell me this: how are they supposed to *sell* their house? There's no point moving to a cheaper place if you can't sell your house, might as well ride out the foreclosure and *then* move to a new place.

It's stupid that your assuming they're hanging on to their house out of some selfish need to maintain their lifestyle. Try talking to anyone who *owns* a house and is trying to sell it. Took my parents 2 years to sell theirs old house after moving, and they were lucky to be in a position to hold on to it at all (they save religiously).

Joe

#40 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

I think you are under an enormous chip.

I'm not assuming anything.

I think we all get it. Times are tough.

Foreclosures may take two years but I don[t think they are gonna let you live in it the who time.

Maybe 6 months. Best to downsize during that time.

#41 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 26 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you are under an enormous chip.

I'm not assuming anything.

I think we all get it. Times are tough.

Foreclosures may take two years but I don[t think they are gonna let you live in it the who time.

Maybe 6 months. Best to downsize during that time.

Why? Why not wait till a couple of weeks or a month before the eviction date? Besides, it's certainly a lot cheaper then paying rent somewhere else when there's a perfectly good house with no real reason to move out until you have too.

I do have a chip on my shoulder. You can't just look at a photo and express utter contempt for another human being, simply because they have (had) a better life situation then you. This is what you and many others have done.

You keep assuming that they haven't trimmed as much as they can already. Remember that in the comments, the father stated they had already drained every bit of their savings *and* retirement account.

Yet, somehow they are immorally wasteful.

The success of others isn't a sign of your own failure, it's just a reminder of the rewards of continuing to attack the problem (I myself can attest that motivation does wonders, no matter how many years of utter failure you have to put up with first).

Here's an idea: think of something you reaaally want to do. Start doing it as a hobby. If you truly like it, you will eventually be able to make a living off of it, after, oh, five or six years. This is what many software developers and artists do (I happen to fall into both categories), and I'm sure many other professionals.

#42 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

How about this....anyone who pays taxes for over three years can get welfare @ 100% of their pay until they can get another job or in a year-whichever comes first. You can only use this benefit once every 12 years and have to have steady employment before using the benefit and after that, you qualify for a lower amount such as the unemployment rate for 6 months and after that if you need extra time you have to do a volunteer job 40 hours a week and enter some kind of employment rehab/training where u r placed in a job that pays more than X amount of the poverty level? This way people won't lose their homes and are able to pay for daycare in order to get a job b/c they still have their full salary. I know sounds crazy right-I don't think so and I think it's the least we can do in this WEALTHY country for the middle class that made the money for the wealthy. Look at it as a subsidy, welfare, sabatical....MIDDLE class Americans get screwed every which way possible, how bout throwing them a bone once in a while? The benefit would be taxable etc. just like a paycheck....
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#43 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

Well, that's actually not too dissimilar to how unemployment works. The once-every-12-years idea is kindof interesting, I think, since with that requirement unemployment insurance might be able to pay closer to full the previous wage level and stay solvent.

Joe

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Feb 26 2010, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about this....anyone who pays taxes for over three years can get welfare @ 100% of their pay until they can get another job or in a year-whichever comes first. You can only use this benefit once every 12 years and have to have steady employment before using the benefit and after that, you qualify for a lower amount such as the unemployment rate for 6 months and after that if you need extra time you have to do a volunteer job 40 hours a week and enter some kind of employment rehab/training where u r placed in a job that pays more than X amount of the poverty level? This way people won't lose their homes and are able to pay for daycare in order to get a job b/c they still have their full salary. I know sounds crazy right-I don't think so and I think it's the least we can do in this WEALTHY country for the middle class that made the money for the wealthy. Look at it as a subsidy, welfare, sabatical....MIDDLE class Americans get screwed every which way possible, how bout throwing them a bone once in a while? The benefit would be taxable etc. just like a paycheck....

#44 casualforce

casualforce

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

<!--quoteo(post=371118:date=Feb 2 2010, 11:54 AM:name=chris v)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, then I would say he isn't smart either... Maybe he should dumb down his resume, to get these other jobs... Come on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, I can see you are thoroughly convinced this person is a loser, so I give up, based on the article, I still give him the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to provide for his family, and I expect, he will one day land a job, but as you feel he is failing his family, he's a loser, I hope for your sake, you never find yourself in his situation, jobless in times when finding a new job is more difficult than it has everbeen during your lifetime.

He'll be the first person to take the entitlement.

#45 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

He'll be the first person to take the entitlement.

Guess what I've been going through for the last year... My wife hasn't worked but!!! I never failed my family and have never given up. So, yeah, I've been in his shoes, except I did exactly what I said I would. It's called good work ethic and failure is never an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users