#31 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Sep 8 2005, 01:25 PM)
Keep in mind the Kinsella fuss about the music boosters.  People are being really watchful about what fees are charged to whom.

The busses are not full.  Many parents still choose to cart their kids, and many simply buy their babies cars.  Also, the distance for high school bussing is 2 miles, so nobody within two miles of the school can bus, and no bus stop can be within 2 miles of another one.

View Post

So why can't the cost of student parking, which is used only by those who drive to school, be charged to those who drive?

And where does this 2 mile rule come from? Sure, that is a reasonable distance to walk or bike, but most people won't do it. And a 2-mile separation of stops is ludicrous. No wonder no one takes the bus if they have to walk a mile to get to a bus stop first. So now you add 20 minutes of walking to a 40 minute bus ride and it's no wonder the busses are half empty!

When I was in high school, I got picked up by the public school bus in front of my house (it stopped several times on my street) and took me to my private high school. And it was free! It was not, however, in California.

The problem isn't lack of parking. The problem is too many cars. Having less than 5% of students show up by school bus is a ridiculous waste of resources. Think of the wasted gas from all those cars, and the unnecessary pollution and traffic congestion. I reiterate: the city of Folsom should subsidize the bus system or provide concentrated Folsom Stage Lines service, instead of spending lots of money trying to increase our road capacity to accomodate all these students and parents driving to school.

#32 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

Is there some way to encourage bus transportation use...free yearbook? Free associated student sticker? Credit at the cafeteria? Maybe this could be someone's senior project...to come up with some options that might work...write a grant in conjunction with the bike trails program? Stamps from bus drivers for rides --get ten get a latte from Starbucks?

How can this be made cool or are we just swimming upstream here?
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#33 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

My son walks to school, used to ride his bike til it was stolen the other day - that seems to be the best way to get in and out of the school - that place is more like a college campus then a high school and my guess as to why people park in praire oaks is because thats easier access to the campus from there then the other side where the parking lot is - thats what my son said anyways....

they really do need to come up with a better parking solution - maybe rent some space from Intel's parking lot? Best bet would be to try and encourage other methods of transportation other then car but as was noted, many kids are lazy and won't do that..

if it were my house - I'd just park my own cars in front of my house to ensure nobody else parked there... its not bad if people park there but its very bad if they're leaving trash and such - that would really irk me and prompt me to block them from parking there again.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#34 anonymous

anonymous

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

We have soccer tournaments at the park near our home and we have occasional parking issues. My neighbor sometimes puts 'traffic cones' in front of his house so no one parks there. Kinda lame, I think.
The 'anonymous' poster has been disabled due to abuse of the account.

#35 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(anonymous @ Sep 8 2005, 03:06 PM)
My neighbor sometimes puts 'traffic cones' in front of his house so no one parks there.  Kinda lame, I think.

View Post

Back in Pittsburgh, PA (on the south side) they put chairs out in the street to reserve their spots. The difference there is that they don't have two and three car garages and matching driveways in which to keep multiple cars like we do out here in the best-landscaped sprawl west of the Mississippi.

#36 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

I've driven to that school every morning for two years, and I've NEVER had a parkign problem.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#37 skippypeanutbutter

skippypeanutbutter

Veteran

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:12 PM

Agreed with Uberman. Most of the students are lazy bums and don't arrive until the last possible moment so if you show up around 15 minutes before school starts, there's parking spaces galore.

#38 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(tessieca)
...Keep in mind the Kinsella fuss about the music boosters. People are being really watchful about what fees are charged to whom...

Excellent point. Donna ranted in last week's Telegraph about the band boosters situation again. God help this forum if they considered charging for parking since that potentially affects 70%+ of the student body and not the significally smaller number involved in the music program. We'd never hear the end of it sleep.gif

#39 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(tony @ Sep 8 2005, 08:13 AM)
What ever happened to school buses, walking and bicycling?

According to the FCUSD web site, For the 2800 students at FHS, there are 5 buses.  Assuming they are all full, that means 200 students arrive at FHS by school bus, or approximately 7% of the students. An annual pass costs $200, or rouighly $1.11 per round trip.  That hardly seems exhorbitant.

View Post

Only problem with that is the bussing service is not offered to ALL the students that go to the school. For example, we don't have a bus coming to our neighborhood. It happened back when I was in elementary school, the district said that there didn't need to be a bus coming to our neighborhood since our parents could take us so the discontinued the bus service.

"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#40 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Brett911 @ Sep 8 2005, 08:51 AM)
I went to HS with 4,000 other kids on the same campus.

After shcool, there were mass transit busses waiting for the kids.  These busses ran on the local mass transit routes thus kids were moved quicly and efficiently out of the school area.

If there were to be 10-12 busses and they ran in two shifts, and each bus ran in a specific zone, I would bet kids could be moved fairly quickly out of the area and to their homes or destinations.

Personally, kids can walk the 1 mile distance home each day (sans bad weather).  It'll be good for them.  The others can use a mass transit model.

BTW, we did pay a disounted rate for the monthly bus pass to ride the busses.  It worked great.

View Post

I think that'd be a great idea, however it would cause safety issues since there will be more busses there when students are leaving (and I've seen parents take the "right of way" and almost hit students walking to their car since they weren't being slow or allowing them to pass like they should) and it would cause a bigger back-up problem since you'd have busses trying to leave and we all know how well they can maneauver (sp) around other busses/cars.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#41 (cogswell)

(cogswell)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

parking is not that bad at the high school, but one of the main reasons i hate the school parking lot, is because of all the horrible drivers, who think that driving fast makes them look cool. looking back on the 6 month rule, i agree with it. younger kids i know wo are getting their licenses around now, dont seem to tke driving as seriously as they should. i witnessed an accident in fact today. blue ravine and iron point, around 12ish, suv got hit, or did the hitting, couldnt really tell, all right there though. i dont think anyone got too hurt. yum.gif but anyway, drive safe!

#42 TheCourtJester

TheCourtJester

OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(skippypeanutbutter @ Sep 8 2005, 04:12 PM)
Agreed with Uberman. Most of the students are lazy bums and don't arrive until the last possible moment so if you show up around 15 minutes before school starts, there's parking spaces galore.

View Post

I did notice that. I didn't have a first period (So I still had ot show up at regular time on Thursdays because of the PAWS schedule) and on the one day when I had to be there the same time as everyone else I found a spot just fine. It was every OTHER day that I had to park somewhere illegally. tongue.gif
The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

#43 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

But I arrived late EVERY morning and STILL found a parking spot... lol
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#44 cynthiadhall

cynthiadhall

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Just for you all to know.....
i graduated FHS last year and the reason they park in the neighboorhood is because its close to their class and they dont have to fight traffic and being late for class looking for a parking spot. Yea they do smoke in the neighboorhood but they also smoke in the parking lot in the back. FHS has a terrible security. Theres so much that goes on at that school and staff has no clue.

#45 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Sep 8 2005, 01:36 PM)
tessieca, do you know if the plan for the Vista del Lago campus include very ample parking?  I imagine it does.

A very good solution to the high school parking problem and other teen-related driving issues would be to raise the driving age to 18!!

View Post

That's not a huge site, but parking is supposed to be adequate for the proposed 1500 students. The traffic patterns, including drop off and pick up zones, are supposed to be MUCH better.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users