69 replies to this topic

#1 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

I heard an old wives tale that snakes hate the smell of the mint herb. I cannot find any actual evidence to support this theory. I know that they hate the smell of moth balls, but I heard that is illegal in CA. I did find an old article that talked about rats (snake food) that hate the smell of mint and maybe that is where it originated from.

Snake fences with checken wire is also a good idea. Living in rattle snake territory, some folks may have their own ideas and theories. I wold love to hear some. Thank you.

#2 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

One handed snake charmer...

Or the primitive device...

#3 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Snakes hate everybody and everything, but that doesn't keep them from attacking you or anything else without much cause.

I like Chris's snake charmer. Only, it's a little on the small side. rolleyes.gif

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 6 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Snakes hate everybody and everything, but that doesn't keep them from attacking you or anything else without much cause.

I like Chris's snake charmer. Only, it's a little on the small side. rolleyes.gif

The gun? 410 shotgun. Leaves no trace of the head.

#5 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Apr 6 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One handed snake charmer...

Or the primitive device...

I used one of those on a mid size rattler. My first ever encounter in the backyard and I did not have a shovel at that time...lol

needless to say, I went a knockin on a neighbors door and one of them came with me and as soon as he saw it, he said oh S%%t, that is a bigger size one. Then he gave me the shovel and said you kill it and I will just hold the tail. So I severed the head and even after that the thing would'nt die.

The scary part of that was that my son (3 years old at time) was about to set foot outside within a few feet of this rattler.

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Apr 6 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used one of those on a mid size rattler. My first ever encounter in the backyard and I did not have a shovel at that time...lol

needless to say, I went a knockin on a neighbors door and one of them came with me and as soon as he saw it, he said oh S%%t, that is a bigger size one. Then he gave me the shovel and said you kill it and I will just hold the tail. So I severed the head and even after that the thing would'nt die.
The scary part of that was that my son (3 years old at time) was about to set foot outside within a few feet of this rattler.

it was dead, the nerves keep firing making it twist and stuff but for all practical purposes, it is dead.

Question, did you skin it, clean it, and cook it up to eat it?

I would have. Rattler, yummy, tastes like chicken eat.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Apr 6 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gun? 410 shotgun. Leaves no trace of the head.

The one I shot with a .410 I missed the head and got it's neck. Kind of turned it into a "nearly headless Sir Nicholas".

It was a Timber Rattler, yummy, kinda boney though, definitely finger licking good.
I would rather be Backpacking

#8 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 6 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it was dead, the nerves keep firing making it twist and stuff but for all practical purposes, it is dead.

Question, did you skin it, clean it, and cook it up to eat it?

I would have. Rattler, yummy, tastes like chicken eat.gif

naaaaah. I was too freaked out about it. Now I am always on the lookout for them in the backyard or even walking in the front yard. I have been told that we are living in Rattle snake area, so to be extra cautious at summer time. When the kids get older, HOPEFULLY (fuingres crossed) they know better and be vigillant for themselves in the backrayd etc.

I was told that this "snakeaway" product works really well. My pest control guy told me that some lady in Serrano orders them online every year for her entire block and she swears by them. It may be another gimmick, but I have read some positive reviews online.

#9 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Apr 6 2009, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard an old wives tale that snakes hate the smell of the mint herb. I cannot find any actual evidence to support this theory. I know that they hate the smell of moth balls, but I heard that is illegal in CA. I did find an old article that talked about rats (snake food) that hate the smell of mint and maybe that is where it originated from.

Snake fences with checken wire is also a good idea. Living in rattle snake territory, some folks may have their own ideas and theories. I wold love to hear some. Thank you.

I doubt that there's anything like this that actually works to keep snakes away... If you don't want snakes, exclude them with the appropriately sized fencing, and remove snake habitat from your yard (tall grass, debris piles, anyplace snakes can hide under). That last one might be difficult...

I moved a baby western diamond back for my folks a couple years ago, transported it a couple miles away into some undeveloped area. I'm sure the snakes can be pretty scary to you big soft guys, but really...you can chase (read: shoo) them away and they probably won't come back.

Buut, guy's gotta get his killin' in, so I guess if it's got to be anything...
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#10 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Growing up in rural Texas in copperhead territory, the 410 was a must have.

I've had to kill two rattlesnakes here. One with the shovel -- baby rattler. And one with a hoe (the tool). The hoe was a challenge. The snake was about 3' and already curled up in strike position under a patio chair when our dog thought it was smart to bark at it. Needless, to say, after moving the chair, I only had one shot with the hoe.

Well, the snake ended up bouncing 2' in the air and was severed into three pieces. I tossed it back over the fence into the undeveloped area as a warning to any other snakes who may have been thinking about paying us a visit. Only little harmless snakes have bothered us since.
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Strong odors--snakes tend to avoid.

Like mint, they also don't like moth balls.

Ps---it's illegal to kill rattlers in Folsom. (unless you absolutely have to)

#12 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

Oh. Forgot my original point. Don't plant spearmint!

In terms of plants that you'll never be able get rid of someday, spearmint and honeysuckle are now on my list. They propogate by roots and so you can never eradicate them without a challenge.

I'd rather deal with the snakes than the spearmint.

Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#13 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 6 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ps---it's illegal to kill rattlers in Folsom. (unless you absolutely have to)

Really?!? I'd like to see a reference on that one.

Doesn't matter as I absolutely had to.
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#14 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

http://www.dfg.ca.go...iles/fg1502.pdf

§5.60. Reptiles.
(b) No sportfishing license is required for the sport take of any rattlesnake.

And from the Department of Fish and Game:
"Rattlesnakes may be taken by any method and the daily bag and possession limit for them is two (ref. CCR, Title 14, Section 5.60[a]). "

So don't kill more than two a day and you should be good.
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#15 JMH

JMH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (jagayman @ Apr 6 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Growing up in rural Texas in copperhead territory, the 410 was a must have.

The copperheads, water mocs, and rattlesnakes were a huge problem at Lake Livingston, Lake Conroe, and Inks Lake around Austin. I hated skiing through the channels.

What about Cayenne pepper? In another thread about cats - the cats hated it. Would this work for the snakes.

Nothing like a sneezing, displaced, ticked off rattler ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users