Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Do You Believe In God?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Poll: In your opinion (90 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe in god

1. Yes, 100% sure (51 votes [56.67%])

Percentage of vote: 56.67%

2. No, 100% sure (10 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Yes, but not 100% sure (10 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. No, but not 100% sure (14 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

5. Not sure at all. (5 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#136 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(BlindFaith @ Nov 8 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post
I guess what I said hit a "sore spot" im sorry. But I believe in praying for what you believe in. If you believe in something pray for it. I never said my way was right or wrong. i simply said if others wrong you or do not share the same path...pray about it and for them. I didnt say pray that they will follow your way or there soul will be condemned to an eternity of pain suffering. I am not God. Judgement is not for me to place. I can agree or disagree but not judge. Please do not put words in others mouths or assume what you do not know is fact. And your first 2 lines of your topic, I would never say. One last thing...just becasue I am a christian does not mean I will live a life without pain and suffering. being a christian is not easy...and becasue i live in this world so full of chaos and torment, i suffer quite a bit. But God gives me the joy to suffer with a smile on my face. Sounds cliche i know...but i have not always been like this. i have seen many sides. I choose to be happy. No one chooses how we feel, we decide how we let others affect us and make us feel. I choose to be happy and positive. Life is too short for anything else.

"...pray for the ones who don't see like you..." You are saying you meant for those who wrong you or don't share the same path.

What are you praying for? And why do you need to pray for them if they don't see the same as you do?

I believe that religion is about your personal relationship with God (using God as an umbrella word). Therefore, I do not want you, or any other religious person to "pray for me" when I don't see/believe the same as you or walk the same path as you.

I value your difference in beliefs, and will not begrudge you your freedom to worship anyway that you want. But know that there are people out there praying that you will forsake your belief in your God and convert to their religion since you aren't on the same path as them.

#137 LexHillsmom

LexHillsmom

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Nov 7 2007, 09:59 PM) View Post
I pray that you will denounce your ways and start believing in what I believe. Until you do, your soul is condemned to an eternity of pain and suffering. God bless.

What good is that going to do this world? Regardless of what religion you claim, isn't that basically the message you are sending out when you are praying for someone else to "see the way" that you do?

Someone I love dearly recently told me to pray for anyone who has offended or hurt me. For two weeks, ask God to bring that person all of the things you wish for yourself...peace..prosperity...joy...and a relationship with God. Don't you think most offensive and hurtful people don't have a relationship with God or know Him...even though they may be totally convinced they do?

As hard as that idea can be, to pray for your nemesis in that manner...it really has worked for me. I have witnessed the miracle of a softened heart, either theirs or mine....and really hit the jackpot when both of us change.

Yes, I believe in God.

#138 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE(BlindFaith @ Nov 7 2007, 05:00 PM) View Post
pray for the ones who dont see like you do. Throwing your beliefs about God onto another will only push them farther away. Live by example. Trust me, Gods light will shine bright enough for even the athiest to see...when and if they are ready. Be an example. Let God use you, dont use God.

What...pray for your enemies? What if God started giving you a different perspective as you prayed and you started honestly caring about them...where is all this going? Seems subversive. smile.gif

#139 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Nov 10 2007, 01:21 AM) View Post
"...pray for the ones who don't see like you..." You are saying you meant for those who wrong you or don't share the same path.

What are you praying for? And why do you need to pray for them if they don't see the same as you do?

I believe that religion is about your personal relationship with God (using God as an umbrella word). Therefore, I do not want you, or any other religious person to "pray for me" when I don't see/believe the same as you or walk the same path as you.

I value your difference in beliefs, and will not begrudge you your freedom to worship anyway that you want. But know that there are people out there praying that you will forsake your belief in your God and convert to their religion since you aren't on the same path as them.

I believe that God has opted to include us in His work through praying-- that it makes a difference. In my own life, I've seen that but also-- and maybe more often-- when I pray and gripe about something (or someone) that's on my mind, God usually turns my thinking around. I'll begin seeing the situation differently or understanding the other person's perspective--getting some compassion and seeing where I need to lay down my rights.

And if you knew what a griper and bad attitude king I can be...you'd want me praying whether you believe or not! smile.gif

p.s. I'm cool with other people praying whatever about me. I've had people tell me that they're praying for something that I don't want to happen or that I'll change my mind...like it's some kind of magic threat or something. I don't believe that God is tabulating prayers and that He's obligated to answer them in a certain way-- so it just doesn't matter to me.

#140 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:19 AM

Jesus declared his divinity when he said "I and the Father are one."

So either he was lying (there is nothing recorded about Him that would indicate he was dishonest)
or he was delusional (yet there is again nothing recorded other than Him being coherent at all times)
or He told the truth (everything recorded about Him backs this up).

The reader is merely left to decide if they will believe what's true.

#141 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Nov 12 2007, 07:19 AM) View Post
Jesus declared his divinity when he said "I and the Father are one."

So either he was lying (there is nothing recorded about Him that would indicate he was dishonest)
or he was delusional (yet there is again nothing recorded other than Him being coherent at all times)
or He told the truth (everything recorded about Him backs this up).

The reader is merely left to decide if they will believe what's true.

I vote B.
<3

#142 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Andrea V @ Nov 12 2007, 08:03 AM) View Post
I vote B.

as I advised your husband, think before spouting off.

#143 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

I vote B.

I second that.

Or frankly, more likely, his followers wrote it down later. Personally, I'm hoping Jesus was smarter than claiming to be a god, but I'm an optimist. smile.gif

#144 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

I vote B.

"What's that in the bread it's gone to my head?"

-From Jesus Christ Superstar ("The Last Supper")

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#145 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Nov 12 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post

I have thought for at least 12 years and continuing every day.

Do I believe that Jesus told the truth about who he was? I have come across some "delusional" people that say things they believe to be 100% true. How are we to know that one persons reality is better or worse than our own?

As that one song says, "What if God was one of us?"

I know one person who gives as much support as he can to every homeless person he meets (buying them a meal, buying them new clothes, etc) because he is afraid that one of them may be Jesus testing him on his generosity and doesn't want to come off as a jerk to Him.

I will continue to question my beliefs, and will continue to ask questions of other people in order to get a better understanding.

#146 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:00 AM

Don't tell me what to do!

You spew poop out of your mouth all of the time. And I don't tell you to think, although it would be nice. But I am sure you do think, and that is about as good as you can come up with... soooo...

I still VOTE B! or

D. Both A and B!
<3

#147 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

When did you advise me???? Back off, if you have beef with me, take it out on me, not my wife. Just remember, Jesus died for no one except himself.

#148 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Nov 12 2007, 11:15 PM) View Post
I will continue to question my beliefs, and will continue to ask questions of other people in order to get a better understanding.

Quest on SWMRman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users