• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

I saw it on the news tonight on channel 13 -- SI is getting sued by a disabled women. Although SI usually tries to accommodate disabled people by taking their orders outside and waiting on them (per the owner), I guess this lady is suing for ADA compliance which will cost $100k's.

So, the owner said they may close (or may move locations). I sure hope that lady was planning to go pretty often and not just once to try it out.

#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (tsukiji @ Jul 7 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw it on the news tonight on channel 13 -- SI is getting sued by a disabled women. Although SI usually tries to accommodate disabled people by taking their orders outside and waiting on them (per the owner), I guess this lady is suing for ADA compliance which will cost $100k's.

So, the owner said they may close (or may move locations). I sure hope that lady was planning to go pretty often and not just once to try it out.

More ADA abuse for no reason other than $$ gain and putting hard working people out of business.

This lady only went there after seeing it on TV and she claims "she should be able to go there and enjoy the food." Well, you can you jack hat, you can go there and enjoy the food. The owner has outdoor seating and he re-modeled his outdoor restroom after another frivolous ADA lawsuit. Such a joke.

This lady must be in talks with our local ADA lawsuit junkie Fred Kemper or whatever that jerks name is.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

Should Yosemite or Denali National Parks have a wheelchair accessible climbing route? NO! These ADA laws (and lawsuits like the donkey frivolous ADA lawyer here in Folsom) are out of control.

Sure there should be access where and whenever possible but jeez when they force a pre ADA hotel or restaurant or govt building to add ramps to a super old building that wasnt designed for disabled access then the ADA should focus on real issues.

Dav -- better try this place ASAP for the burger review wrap-up before the sharks (err I mean ambulance chaser,, err sorry again, lawyers) shut it down. The owner does great business but doubt he has the pockets for attorney fees. More people out of work...great.

#4 rda

rda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

I say good for her. She deserves to be treated like everyone else. California has too many small businesses creating jobs anyway and we need to slow down a bit......

In related news, I'm suing MGM for hiring Brad Pitt and paying him more than $20 mil. per movie when I could easily do the gig and hang out with a bunch of kids and his beautiful wife.

Also, I'm suing the NBA because I can't get a starting job and salary of over $35 mil per year just because I'm only 6'1" tall. If I were 8 feet tall, I'd be an all-star. I demand the basket be lowered to 7 feet.

wacko.gif

#5 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

She's in it just like the jerk who rides around in his chair here in Folsom. I hope they get what's coming to them someday! (It isn't money!)

#6 rda

rda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

She's in it just like the jerk who rides around in his chair here in Folsom. I hope they get what's coming to them someday! (It isn't money!)

You talking about the guy who rides around with the girl/lady?? on his lap? I've seen that guy (and rider) on E. Bidwell and down on Folsom Blvd.

#7 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

I would love to see all the small businesses hurt by these jerks get together and file a class action lawsuit against Congress for passing the ADA and allowing this BS to go on.
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#8 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

I was thinking. I play the lottery every once in a while, but it's very discriminatory. Only a handful of people ever win. I'm lucky if I even get a lousy $5 bucks of that $100M payout! I think I'm going to start a class action lawsuit, and demand even distribution for everybody! I figure that after the lawyers fees, anyone in the class action should be able to get a reward of at least 50cents per ticket! Who's with me?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#9 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE (mac_convert @ Jul 7 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, heartless. To use your phrase, don't you think they've already had to deal with "what's coming to them" by being disabled? I think if you had to go through the world in a wheel chair for even a day, you might start feeling some empathy for their situation. I'm sure that she already feels singled out and stared at more often than she likes, and to have it made worse because she has to be served outside, well, I can understand why that would be uncomfortable. Do I think that a lawsuit is the right solution? No, but that doesn't mean that their's was the right one either.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Jul 7 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More ADA abuse for no reason other than $ gain and putting hard working people out of business.

This lady only went there after seeing it on TV and she claims "she should be able to go there and enjoy the food." Well, you can you jack hat, you can go there and enjoy the food. The owner has outdoor seating and he re-modeled his outdoor restroom after another frivolous ADA lawsuit. Such a joke.

This lady must be in talks with our local ADA lawsuit junkie Fred Kemper or whatever that jerks name is.

I completely agree! this is ADA abuse and for no other reason then to make this azzhat some money just like that other guy who has made suing people his career.

I'd like to see all the people filing these lawsuits go thru a complete physical to make sure they are really handicapped, its not too much to ask, especially when they are demanding 10's of thousands of dollars from these business'.... and putting these places out of business. If I was one of those business owners being sued I would demand they be thoroughly checked out by a medical staff.

the story I heard about that guy here in town getting up out of his wheel chair while on a street corner is very disturbing, if this individual is capable of walking - he should be arrested for fraudulent waste of tax payer dollars with these insane lawsuits he keeps perpetuating over and over again.

IMO, they don't really give a crap about ADA compliance, they're just trying to be like bottom feeding lawyers and make money off these BS lawsuits.

I feel sorry for the owners of Squeeze Inn having to put up with this nonsense.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jul 8 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, heartless. To use your phrase, don't you think they've already had to deal with "what's coming to them" by being disabled? I think if you had to go through the world in a wheel chair for even a day, you might start feeling some empathy for their situation. I'm sure that she already feels singled out and stared at more often than she likes, and to have it made worse because she has to be served outside, well, I can understand why that would be uncomfortable. Do I think that a lawsuit is the right solution? No, but that doesn't mean that their's was the right one either.

So, because this woman is disabled, a business owner - who had nothing to do with her disabiliity, should be completely screwed by her? NO! Yes, it's sad she's disabled, but that doesn't mean everyone around her should suffer because they aren't disabled. She is able to have the food, what difference does it make? If they had not accommodated her at all, I could see it, but that business has done what they can.

I am sooooooo sick and tired of this freaking entitlement generation. I'm disgusted right now.

#12 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jul 8 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do I think that a lawsuit is the right solution? No, but that doesn't mean that their's was the right one either.

Who are you talking about? Are you talking about the business owner who did everything within his power to make his product available to this gold-digger? Or do you think he should just close down because one selfish woman can't eat her food inside?

From what I've heard, it's so crowded in there, many people eat outside anyway.

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

One would think they'd be grandfathered into ADA compliance. I wonder what the specific complaint is, and why she feels they're in violation.

#14 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Jul 8 2009, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who are you talking about? Are you talking about the business owner who did everything within his power to make his product available to this gold-digger? Or do you think he should just close down because one selfish woman can't eat her food inside?

From what I've heard, it's so crowded in there, many people eat outside anyway.

I'm talking about the business owner. So you know that he did everything in his power huh? You know that she's a gold-digger? You know that she does this all the time and that she's sueing for bags of money? You obviously must have some inside source into this situation that I sure don't.

And obviously it's one or the other. Force the handicapped to stay outside or close your doors.

I think that there are probably solutions that lie somewhere in the middle. I'm saying that I can understand why someone who is already singled out, to be made to eat outside, might be unhappy with that situation. I also said that I don't think that a lawsuit is the right response. It just makes me feel really sad that there are so many people on this forum who have absolutely no empathy for what the handicapped have to go through in life that they would immediately start calling her names and wishing that she would "get what's coming to her". Did I say "hurray, she's sueing!". No. Did I say "Dam that Squeeze Inn, they're getting what's coming to them!" No. I just said that I have empathy for her situation. Yikes. Excuse me for feeling for her

#15 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

From SacBee: http://www.sacbee.co...alleges-ad.html

Among allegations in the suit filed in federal court are the following:

* No required accessible parking
* The main entrance is not accessible to the disabled
* The inside seating area, which has only about a dozen stools, should have accessible tables.
* The outside seating area is hard to navigate due to a gravel surface.
* Not enough floor space for someone in a wheelchair at outside tables.
* The route to the restroom is not accessible.
* The restaurant has room insufficient to accommodate patrons in wheelchairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users