• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

I feel bad for all the people who are now out of a job. Sad and scary situation all around. At least no one was hurt.

#17 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

I feel bad for all the people who are now out of a job. Sad and scary situation all around. At least no one was hurt.

Me too... very sad. Am thankful no one was hurt.

CBS13 posted the suspect's name... Alexander Piggeee... I went and looked at his Facebook page... a real winner...oy!

#18 Jenncez

Jenncez

Your Local Scentsy & Thirty-One Consultant

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

Someone posted on KCRA's site his myspace... Alexander Piggee
KCRA also was told that they will probably not reopen for MONTHS. What a major bummer!! Hopefully Palladio will open sooner then!

#19 mom2mnm

mom2mnm

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

What a horrible thing for all the employees involved!
Theirs no way many can be sent to other stores in the area.

That's a great point though about Palladio. Maybe a few of the stores will move to Folsom in time for the holidays.

So happy their weren't lives lost of course!

#20 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

What a horrible thing for all the employees involved!
Theirs no way many can be sent to other stores in the area.

That's a great point though about Palladio. Maybe a few of the stores will move to Folsom in time for the holidays.

So happy their weren't lives lost of course!

That's a good idea to move them to Palladio. Good for the stores and good for the employees. I keep saying it's a shame Palladio is empty. I wonder what stores are completely gutted and how many have merchandise ruined just from the smoke damage.

#21 ScionBox

ScionBox

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

I sure hope the leasing agents for Sunrise Mall have a game plan in place to relocate some of the displaced Galleria retailers out to Sunrise temporarily until things get back together in Roseville. It would suck for employees to have go without a job because of some stupid idiot that set fire to the mall. Sunrise sure does have plenty of empty space on their hands... plus they could use the business.

#22 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

I think what is most tragic/disturbing to me is that the news stations as well as his mother are reporting this troubled young man tried to get himself institutionalised twice in the last few months. If that is not a cry for help I don't know what is.

#23 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

I think what is most tragic/disturbing to me is that the news stations as well as his mother are reporting this troubled young man tried to get himself institutionalised twice in the last few months. If that is not a cry for help I don't know what is.

It's sad, but there really aren't sufficient services to deal with adult mental health issues unless and until someone proves him/herself a danger to self or others.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#24 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

From news reports it sounds like he was a pretty bright student and athlete but didnt get the mental health help he was seeking. Very sad. Sad for the many, many mall employees and the mall stores that will be out of biz for quite awhile especially a month before Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.

And John....yes. Too early.

#25 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

I don't understand how it is possible for a fire to spread and do that much damage in a fully sprinklered building built to current (2000) building codes. If the sprinkler system was working and the local fire marshall was insuring that the stores were complying with code regarding storage of goods this should never have happened. :wacko:

#26 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

A friend of my BFF's cousin said how he was a "great guy. Not someone to be laughing at."

I just shook my head and responded: "Yeah, great guys usually don't start fires that cause thousands to lose their jobs and millions in damages."

The mental issue angle is a sad one, but there are many people out there who are dealing with mental issues and they don't take action like this. I know mental illness is real and serious business, but again, many people out there are successful at handling it without burning down a million dollar mall and putting thousands out of work. It's sad that this guy got to this point.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#27 2kids4me

2kids4me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

I don't understand how it is possible for a fire to spread and do that much damage in a fully sprinklered building built to current (2000) building codes. If the sprinkler system was working and the local fire marshall was insuring that the stores were complying with code regarding storage of goods this should never have happened. :wacko:

From what I understand, they had to delay fighting the fire due to the suspicious backpack. Apparently the sprinklers are just meant to temporarily contain the fire, but that can't go on forever. The fire chief said given the additional time, the fire spread to areas without sprinklers and then went nuts. My question is why the bomb squad took so long to examine the backpack - well, they actually never did, because it's buried under debris.

#28 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

I haven't posted in a long time, but I was shocked tonight because I have deadmalls.com liked on my Facebook and it just showed up on my news feed how there was a huge arson fire there, and they weren't sure if the mall would end up next on the list.

This guy may not be a horrible person, but it sounds like he was definitely unstable and should've gotten the help he needed earlier. I just wish it wouldn't take a near-tragedy like this to remind people of that. Luckily no lives were lost and that's the most important thing, but it still is a drag there's probably tons of merchandise that just got wasted and people out of work for now.

It looks absolutely HUGE from what I've seen, so I'm sure tons of hard work and precision went into building it, I'd hate to see that all go out the window because of one dude's stupid decision and everyone else has to be punished (i.e. the employees) in an already tough economy. There's a few years gap in Google Earth's images so it must've been built in 1999-2001...but nontheless still pretty new. When I lived there it was still open prairie land, lol.

#29 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:36 PM

Here is an article and some video on this disaster.

http://sanfrancisco....after-standoff/
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#30 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

Roseville Galleria closed until further notice after standoff, arson

http://westfield.com...eriaatroseville

Man detained in Roseville Galleria standoff, fire wanted in Walmart arson

http://www.news10.ne...=101911&catid=2
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users