90 replies to this topic

#91 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

Article about how this works. Note Tanya Moore is the attorney who represented Kalani in the lawsuit against Lake Forest.

"[Tanya] Moore's husband, a successful trial lawyer who opened his practice in 1993, says he made ADA cases his specialty after his brother lost mobility in a motorcycle crash. Together, they hew to the notion that fighting for the disabled means filing as many lawsuits against non-compliant businesses as possible."

http://www.sanjosein...il-rights-push/

"California is home to 12 percent of the country’s disabled population but 40 percent of ADA lawsuits. That’s due to a related law that sets damages at $4,000 per violation, making California a gold mine for ADA claims. . . . Groups pushing for reform in Sacramento want to see businesses given a chance to remedy the violations before being sued. In 2012, a widely touted ADA reform law nixed the requirement for attorneys to send pre-litigation demand letters, making it easier and faster to file a lawsuit. . . . [O]ne of the Moores’ regular clients, files close to 20 lawsuits a month, making, according to the law firm, about $500 a settlement (or $10,000 a month). Virtually every single case gets settled. Moore says his firm works with somewhere around 150 such clients, filing as many lawsuits as possible against as many businesses as possible. He portrays himself as a civil rights champion—not an opportunist gaming the system.

'I’m not a bottomfeeder,' he says. 'I like money—I want all the money I can get. I have no problem saying that. But I could make much more money doing something else and I don’t make nearly as much as these goddamn defense lawyers or as much as the lobbyists who defend businesses in violation.'"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users