7 replies to this topic

#1 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

I am currently seeking input on Assisted Living or Independent Living/Retirement communities in Folsom or within a 10-20 mile radius of Folsom.  I am NOT reaching out to this forum for "sales pitches" or "trolling comments" about this subject matter and for that reason, if you have any personal experiences to share with me, PLEASE send me a PM so that we may connect and discuss circumstances and provide some constructive feedback.  I will not go into the details on this forum, but I will share the following information with you based upon the tours of 4 facilities that I've been to so far (I've only just begun this search):

Oakmont:  Five stars.  May be cost prohibitive.

Creekside Oaks:  Because this is "billed" as a Retirement Community (as opposed to an Assisted Living facility), I'd say 4 stars.  Not sure if it allows enough "wiggle room" in terms of being able to transition from "independent" to more of an "assisted living" concept.

Brookdale:  Can't fairly rate this one, because IMO it is not the appropriate setting for my circumstances.  It is definitely focused on rehabilitation or memory care patients, but is not conducive to my set of circumstances AT THIS TIME. 

Eskaton Granite Bay:  Four stars.  Conducive to my circumstances at this time, with lots of "wiggle room" in terms of levels of care and transition from the element of total independence up to memory care (as time goes by).

So, I hope this provides a guideline for what I'm looking for.  My search continues next week beyond Folsom City limits.  If you have any constructive information to provide and would be willing to share with me, please PM me and let me know if you would like to share on PM, telephone or in person.  Again, NO TROLLS PLEASE.  Thanks.  "Leenda"

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

I don't have any experience with local assisted/independent living facilities. That said, back in the suburbs of Chicago, earlier this year my sister and I convinced my 79-yr old mother into moving into a Sunrise Senior Living Center. At the time, she was not too pleased about moving (to say the least). Fast forward to today and it has been the best thing that has happened to her in years. She loves it and the staff and facility are top notch. I know that there is one in Roseville because I drove by it not too long ago; there may be one closer. The one at which my mom lives has two buildings - one is independent living and the other is assisted living. For those who living in the independent living but are on the border of needing more assistance, they have been very accommodating and helpful. 

I should note that my mother was a geriatric nurse before she retired and my sister, who lives locally and manages her care (she's very healthy, just in the early stage of dementia), is a nurse who has also worked as a geriatric nurse. They have both been very impressed with the Sunrise as a whole. I realize that facilities are not all the same, but wanted to share the one experience I have. Hope it helps.  

#3 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

I've heard good things about Sunrise Senior Living Center also. Eskaton tends to have a very good reputation, but you do need to evaluate each site individually. I'd suggest checking the CDHS website for complaints also. I haven't used it for a while because my dad received services further down the valley. I'll see if I can find the website again. If you'd like some additional help feel free to PM me. I'm a RN and have case managed/advocated for friends/family in LTC settings.

Edit:

http://www.aplacefor...state-licensing

http://www.ccld.ca.gov/ (Inspection Reports on facilities & other usesful info)

http://residentialca...CFE/index.lasso

"This web site does not contain information about facility inspection visits, complaints, citations or deficiencies. In order to find that information, you can go to your local Community Care Licensing (CCL) office and ask to view the public file for a specific facility."

So, maybe audit & investigation reports are not published for assisted living facilities, but it is for higher level of care/long term care facilities (skilled nursing, rehabs, etc)

#4 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

Thank you, Caligirlz, for this extremely helpful feedback.  I will certainly take you up on your offer and PM you if I need some more guidance.  As I indicated earlier, I am in the early stages of my search, and still on a learning curve with this whole issue, so it's reassuring to know that I can toss some of my questions/concerns your way.  Again, thanks!

#5 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

And, thank you, cw68, for your feedback.  I plan to visit the Sunrise facility on Hazel and Sunset sometime next week.  I used to drive by that place every day on my way to work, and for some reason I was always under the impression that it was more geared towards the memory care/Alzheimer's-type patients....(my MIL is not at that stage right now),.but I will see for myself when I pay them a visit.  But thank you for the recommendation.  I'll report back after my tour. 

#6 puppylover

puppylover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Brookdale Assisted Living here in Folsom is a great place.  My mother is there.  They offer all levels of assistance.  They are right behind Burger Physical Therapy.

#7 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for your comment, puppylover.  As you'll note in my OP, I don't feel Brookdale is conducive to my situation at the present time (which is not to say, it's not a great place).  It's just not what I have in mind for my current circumstances.  I, too, have heard many accolades about Brookdale, and for many, it is the proper "fit" for the individual.  But, it just does not seem to be the "fit" for me (well, my MIL), at this time.  But thank you for taking the time to give me your input. 

#8 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

Since my OP in early Sept., I've ventured out to two more facilities (so I thought I'd chime in and see if I could elicit any more comments):

Sunrise Senior Living:  Located in FO (Hazel &Sunset).  I was VERY impressed and felt "right at home" (just touring the place)!!  My observations left me with a very good feeling that my MIL could easily "fit in" to the community from the get-go, and feel secure about knowing that as her "needs" changed over time, that they could easily be addressed and accommodated by their seemingly caring and attentive staff.  4 1/2 stars in my book.  Only hesitation (on my part) is the location and ease-of-access to professional medical care -- although they assured me that when emergencies DO occur, they typically head towards Mercy Folsom for services.

Almond Heights Senior Living:  Located on Greenback (betw. Illinois & Almond in Orangevale).  This is a brand-spanking new facility (in fact, when I toured it, it wasn't even OPEN for business, so to speak -- but they DID open, I believe, on the 18th).  Of course, I was VERY impressed, probably because it IS BRAND NEW, so I can't speak to any general "feeling" about the place because there were no residents there (or staff assisting them) to enable to make any observations and/or draw any reasonable conclusions about the quality of living there or the level of care that they might deliver.  And sure, they were offering some great deals to get them "fully occupied" as a new facility, but, my situation with my MIL does not entail making a move from OR (until probably sometime in early 2016 or thereafter), so I don't think those "deals" are going to be available if and when everything pans out with the current circumstances.  Again, one of my concerns is the location (although, it is adjacent to the Fire Dept. on Illinois) and the ease-of-access to professional medical care, and like Sunrise, apparently they head towards Folsom for such services, too.

So, again, I'm tossing this out to you folks for some thoughts on the issue.  Thanks so much.  "Leenda"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users