4 replies to this topic

#1 webmaster

webmaster

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 01:45 PM

Hey everyone, if there's ever a meeting to make it to, it's this one! The final votes for the re-zoning is this Tuesday!

We must show up en masse and let our voices be heard! Make sure that the city council knows we do not support "clustering" of low-income housing!
MyFolsom.Com Message Board Tip #3
To view all new threads in the last 24 hours, Click on "Today's Active Topics" from the forum index.

#2 LilyPad630

LilyPad630

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:28 PM

I think we should also remind them that high density multi-family housing units are not a great choice either.

I believe that duplexes integrated with regular market rate homes are the best way to eliminate the "stigma" of low income housing. These are homes that are below market rate and would require the buyer to qualify financially (a great example would be the Nehemiah Program in South Sacramento (Elk Grove / Laguna) area. In order to integrate the homes with market rate homes, they should be built on the corner lots.

The set back on having high density multi-family housing units (apartments) is the unknowns if that apartment complex is sold by the developer and made into ALL affordable housing units. What if the buyer turns out to be a slumlord or absent property owner?

Also, you are not fixing a problem but putting basically putting a band aide on the affordable housing issue.

If you get people who save up money to qualify financially to purchase an affordable home (duplex), you have people who own pride in home ownership. These are people who will take care of their property.

You put high density multi-family housing and you just have a group of renters not owners. They will not care about the property. They are transient residents who may move in less than 5 years.

I believe that affordable housing should be housing that is owned not rented.

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 10:13 PM

Did anyone on this forum attend the meeting? How did it go??? Did the vote go through?

#4 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:05 AM

I'm dying to find out how the vote went myself, too... the city's website is hopelessly outdated! sad.gif
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:34 AM

wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users