29 replies to this topic

#1 gbimal

gbimal

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hello,

We are relocating from Portland OR to Folsom CA and looking to buying a home in ER close to the Russell Ranch elementary school area.

Love the area since we came down for a couple of days end of last year. I have been following some threads on rattlesnake sightings this spring and that scares me silly. Up here in Portland, we dont have to worry about stepping on anything other than puddles!

So,we have been looking for homes that dont back up to a greenbelt/nature preserve/golf course etc. Are there particular areas withing Empire Ranch that are more prone to rattlesnake activity than others?

Thanks much for your feedback!

#2 Clareview

Clareview

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Have a fantastic realtor that can help you with that...contact info: jeremeytuchsen@yahoo.com
Lives in folsom, know area well.

#3 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

No snake issues here

Best realtor I can recommend is Steve Heard, his ID here is Stevethedad. He can help you find the home you're looking for.

#4 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Rattlesnakes are a part of Folsom, they don't want to bother you, and you don't have to bother them.

The only time I don't like encountering them is on the bike trails. When they are stretched out, sunning / crossing both lanes, I'm unsure which way to dive with my road bike. I don't want to hit the gravel and then crash on top of a snake!

Other than that, I have not encountered too many at all. Doesn't hurt to be vigilant, but I don't worry about them.

#5 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

We live in this exact area, within 1 block from the school, and have never seen a rattlesnake. A few smaller garden snakes once in a while, but in 5 years, we've yet to see a rattlesnake. Lizards, voles from the field behind our house, bunnies, turkeys... all the time (love to see all the animals!)

#6 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

In the 6 years I've been here I've never seen a rattler. They exist, but if you are vigilant and don't go crashing about in the underbrush, you probably won't see one either. I have seen a few other snakes, mostly gopher and others that I can't ID. It's part of living out here in in the beautiful country.

#7 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

We back up to the open area as well and in 7 years we have been here never had a snake issue.
As ambrno33, voles (destroying my lawn :cuss3: ) mice, bunnies, hawks, turkeys, even a coyote, but no snakes.
Love backing up to the open area and watching the wild life (even with the voles). It's cool watching the hawk hovering over and then plunging down to get the mice or whatever it is they are "hunting".

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

you guys are lucky. they are thick along lake natoma. the neighborhoods in that area get them on a regular basis. cats bitten and some killed, one neighbor put in the hospital for five days, etc. I'm glad the Empire Ranch area has fewer!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Rattlesnakes are a part of Folsom, they don't want to bother you, and you don't have to bother them.

The only time I don't like encountering them is on the bike trails. When they are stretched out, sunning / crossing both lanes, I'm unsure which way to dive with my road bike. I don't want to hit the gravel and then crash on top of a snake!

Other than that, I have not encountered too many at all. Doesn't hurt to be vigilant, but I don't worry about them.

when you see one stretched out on the bike trail, aim to hit the old snake a couple of inches behind the head. Its good to speed up too, so you are over the snake with both tires before is flopps around. one time had one get tangles up in my rear wheel but it came loose

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

when you see one stretched out on the bike trail, aim to hit the old snake a couple of inches behind the head. Its good to speed up too, so you are over the snake with both tires before is flopps around. one time had one get tangles up in my rear wheel but it came loose

oh, that would be so dangerous! I think its better to not run one over. avoid it. I had another friend who accidentally ran over one and it went up into their tire too. not fun.

#11 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

:lmaosmiley:

#12 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, vote out the incumbents.

Oh, sorry! Saw a thread about snakes and thought... well, never mind.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

after seeing how good Voo Doo Donuts looks, why would you want to leave Portland? :)

One thing to keep in mind, the snakes are in hiberation half the year, so you don't have to keep an eye out all the time!

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

The baby snakes are hatching in may and june. So you wont see an influx in the critters until July, when the heat is consistently over 95 on a daily basis.

The rules to remember, stay away from lumber piles and boulders with small rocks strew around them
If you see an area with lots of holes in the ground or on a hill side, remain slightly aware that you may be in a nesting area.

Also, going to the pet store and buying a bunch of mice to release in front of you in order to distract the slimy buggers from your direction is not going to save you.

Snake are greedy. They will go for the bigger kill. <oh, wait...those are probably not rattlers. Just the sankes that Tgianco is talking about.>

On other thing, when you approach areas that have a natural water access with a gentle grade to the water; think like a prey. Move cautiously and keep in mind that watering holes are the number one preferred place for most ambushes for any type of predator on the planet <and no, I am not talking about the Purple Place--I am talking about the river access>

Posted Image

#15 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

The baby snakes are hatching in may and june. So you wont see an influx in the critters until July, when the heat is consistently over 95 on a daily basis.

Posted Image

snakes have been out and in some neighborhoods for at least three weeks now.

just watch out where you step and put your hands, especially at dusk. and don't worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users