43 replies to this topic

#31 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

Lower...and lower...and lower... So dumb.

http://cdec.water.ca.../queryDaily?FOL

#32 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

Glad I sold my boat this year...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

speaking of boats, i need a towing opinion.  for a small fishing boat, would it be better to haul with a Honda CRV or a Subaru Forester or Outback?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

The craziness continues... :noway:

http://cdec.water.ca...ction?resid=FOL

#35 bdw

bdw

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

The Subaru Outback has the greatest towing capacity of the three (2700 lbs vs 1500 lbs -- though double-check in the owner's manual, as it may depend on the year and trim), but you'll still need to ensure you don't exceed that limit. 2700 lbs is the weight of the boat, trailer, and anything you have on the boat or trailer when you're towing it (fuel, water, supplies, etc). This will vary greatly by the fishing boat and trailer combo, although if it's a small aluminum boat, you're probably fine. If you're anywhere close to this limit, you'll want the trailer to have its own brakes, which will plug into the Outback's hitch and cause it to apply the brakes whenever the Outback does. You'll also want to confirm that the hitch supports these weights as well, which it should say on it.

The only other thing to look out for is the maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs for the Outback. Basically, if a fit person can pick up the trailer's tongue, you'll be fine -- if it takes two to lift it, then you'll want to actually weigh it at the hitch receiver.

Some say the Outback can tow slightly more (I think it could a few years back) but I wouldn't risk it. If you're over the limit (or very near), I'd just rent an in-town truck from U-Haul for the day.

And since I'm already responding to the thread, I just want to add that it seems silly for us to be having such a lengthy debate over the water release manual -- something I doubt any of us knows much about. No one has said fish or the environment are more important than human lives. As Tony mentioned, if the lake runs "dry" such that it can't release water, we'll still have backup pumps and enough in storage for all of us to survive just fine. (And even if the backup plan were to fail, that's why agencies like FEMA exist.) Right now, with relaxed watering restrictions, the debate isn't even between keeping green lawns or preventing fish from possible extinction (which, as Tony also mentioned, is the far more costly option), but rather an armchair debate about whether or not the Army Corps of Engineers is full of idiots.

And on that subject, the Corps of Engineers will be providing a new water release manual next year. Historically, flood control was a primary function of the dam, so the old manual didn't address drought -- but given our present circumstances, it's reasonable to assume the new one will. (If it doesn't, then we can complain.) And once the spillway is complete, we'll be able to effectively keep another 50,000 acre-feet in the lake without risk of flooding in winter -- which is more water than we used in all of 2015.

So, the argument seems moot, to say the least. Yes, it's a bummer that we've had watering restrictions in the past and that we can't go boating now, and I'll be upset if we end up with watering restrictions again -- but, in the scheme of things, I'd much rather have a dry lawn one more summer in exchange for a healthy river where I can enjoy fishing with my children years from now.

In case anyone is interested, this article from the Bee covers most of the facts I mentioned. As an engineer myself, having studied alongside several bright individuals who went on the work for the Corps of Engineers, I'm inclined to trust the experts on this one and trust that the new manual and the completion of the spillway will alleviate the impact of future droughts. Still, it's a good reminder that the Central Valley is by nature an arid climate, and I'm happy to see so many people's efforts to xeriscape and conserve.

#36 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

The Subaru Outback has the greatest towing capacity of the three (2700 lbs vs 1500 lbs -- though double-check in the owner's manual, as it may depend on the year and trim), but you'll still need to ensure you don't exceed that limit. 2700 lbs is the weight of the boat, trailer, and anything you have on the boat or trailer when you're towing it (fuel, water, supplies, etc). This will vary greatly by the fishing boat and trailer combo, although if it's a small aluminum boat, you're probably fine. If you're anywhere close to this limit, you'll want the trailer to have its own brakes, which will plug into the Outback's hitch and cause it to apply the brakes whenever the Outback does. You'll also want to confirm that the hitch supports these weights as well, which it should say on it.

The only other thing to look out for is the maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs for the Outback. Basically, if a fit person can pick up the trailer's tongue, you'll be fine -- if it takes two to lift it, then you'll want to actually weigh it at the hitch receiver.

Some say the Outback can tow slightly more (I think it could a few years back) but I wouldn't risk it. If you're over the limit (or very near), I'd just rent an in-town truck from U-Haul for the day.

And since I'm already responding to the thread, I just want to add that it seems silly for us to be having such a lengthy debate over the water release manual -- something I doubt any of us knows much about. No one has said fish or the environment are more important than human lives. As Tony mentioned, if the lake runs "dry" such that it can't release water, we'll still have backup pumps and enough in storage for all of us to survive just fine. (And even if the backup plan were to fail, that's why agencies like FEMA exist.) Right now, with relaxed watering restrictions, the debate isn't even between keeping green lawns or preventing fish from possible extinction (which, as Tony also mentioned, is the far more costly option), but rather an armchair debate about whether or not the Army Corps of Engineers is full of idiots.

And on that subject, the Corps of Engineers will be providing a new water release manual next year. Historically, flood control was a primary function of the dam, so the old manual didn't address drought -- but given our present circumstances, it's reasonable to assume the new one will. (If it doesn't, then we can complain.) And once the spillway is complete, we'll be able to effectively keep another 50,000 acre-feet in the lake without risk of flooding in winter -- which is more water than we used in all of 2015.

So, the argument seems moot, to say the least. Yes, it's a bummer that we've had watering restrictions in the past and that we can't go boating now, and I'll be upset if we end up with watering restrictions again -- but, in the scheme of things, I'd much rather have a dry lawn one more summer in exchange for a healthy river where I can enjoy fishing with my children years from now.

In case anyone is interested, this article from the Bee covers most of the facts I mentioned. As an engineer myself, having studied alongside several bright individuals who went on the work for the Corps of Engineers, I'm inclined to trust the experts on this one and trust that the new manual and the completion of the spillway will alleviate the impact of future droughts. Still, it's a good reminder that the Central Valley is by nature an arid climate, and I'm happy to see so many people's efforts to xeriscape and conserve.

I think i'm in love.  thank you for the great information on towing and the common sense on water releases!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#37 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

Wow, already at one-third of capacity. Not good. Pray for a wet winter again.

http://cdec.water.ca...ction?resid=FOL

#38 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

Speaking of that, I have yet to hear any predictions of if we will have a wet winter, dry winter, etc. Anyone??

#39 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

Long term weather predictions are about as accurate as predicting next weeks lotto numbers.

#40 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

Long term weather predictions are about as accurate as predicting next weeks lotto numbers.

They were pretty spot on for the past Winter weren't they?

#41 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

Predicting weather is a crapshoot. Everyone knows that. Some years they predict a bunch of hurricanes and there are none.

When predictions are right, there's some luck involved.

#42 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Speaking of that, I have yet to hear any predictions of if we will have a wet winter, dry winter, etc. Anyone??

Talked with my neighborhood NWS weatherman this morning.He didn't make any predictions, but he did note that the "blob" was forming again....(similar to the massive high pressure that sat in the pacific through much of the drought).

#43 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Talked with my neighborhood NWS weatherman this morning.He didn't make any predictions, but he did note that the "blob" was forming again....(similar to the massive high pressure that sat in the pacific through much of the drought).

I wonder if they could drop a low tonnage nuke into the sky and break up that blob. I mean, nuke rain is better than none right?? Lol. 

#44 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

The lake level was high enough for them to raise the speed limit today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users