Photo
- - - - -

Help - How Much Weight Can A House Gutter Support?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi,

I think I need to check / clean out my roof rain gutters. But they are too high for me to reach with an 8' step ladder (in some areas). Can I lean my 22' aluminum extension ladder on the gutter or will it damage the gutter (especially as I climb up the ladder with my 170 lbs)? How sturdy are rain gutters (see attached pic for my type)?

I'd probably need to extend the ladder out to about 15 feet.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Is there a place where you can put the ladder to just climb onto the roof? That's what we do a few times a year. My husband just climbs up, then scoots around the perimeter with a gutter scooper to clean the gutters out.

#3 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Is there a place where you can put the ladder to just climb onto the roof? That's what we do a few times a year. My husband just climbs up, then scoots around the perimeter with a gutter scooper to clean the gutters out.

Not really -- the gutter is all along the perimeter of the house. Plus, we have a tile roof -- I was told not to get on the roof unless I know where to stand w/out breaking the tile (which I don't :)). So, I think I need to stay off the roof.

Also, I don't think I need to clean all around the house -- it's just a few specific areas I think.

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

What you need is an attachment for your extension ladder, called a ladder stabilizer.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

What you need is an attachment for your extension ladder, called a ladder stabilizer.

Ahhhhh, Looked it up on Home Depot. So then I rest the ladder against the roof tile? Nice, thanks.

I feel like I should be saying -- "Yes, there's an app for that." :)

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

You're welcome. Against the house, more likely.

Or if you don't mind getting wet, you can buy a spray-out gadget and swim goggles, and never mind all the ladder business...
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

You're welcome. Against the house, more likely.

Thanks for the idea of the stabilizer . I did not know they existed.
For the gutters if you put it against the house- the ladder would be extended just below the gutters. But depending how much overhang there is of the roof/ Gutter, there might still be a problem with using the stabilizer since you would be several steps down and might still not be able to be far enough out to clean the gutter.

My gutters are pretty sturdy so I have just used the extension ladder against the gutters.

Also- for gutter cleaning, make yourself a tool using a broom handle,or better 6 or 8 ft plant stake (1/2 diameter metal often with green covering ) and attach a piece of bent metal wide enough to fit the bottom of the gutter at the end. Use this to scrape the stuff in the gutter towards you. Have the garbage can right next to the ladder and you can drop all the stuff - most of which will be in the can ( depends on your aim). The tool will fit under the gutter braces ( be sure to factor this in when you make it) so you can go the full length of the tool.
This way you can clean from both directions and only have to move the ladder a couple of times. You can also use the other end of your new tool to push any debri down the down spout and then flush both the gutter and downspout with water.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

When I put up Christmas lights I rest the extension ladder on the gutters and haven't had a problem in seven years. :)

#9 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

F500, Mac: do your gutters look like mine? I don't know how sturdy my gutters are -- seems like thin sheet metal. I'd be using a ~22' aluminum extension ladder extended out to about 15-18 feet. This may create some leverage along the frame of the gutter. When you go up -- similar setup?

Last thing I need right now is to turn a small problem into a big one requiring replacement of the gutter :)

If I buy the stabilizer, I may have to rest the stabilizer on the roof tiles -- I'm not sure I'm tall enough to reach the gutter if I rest the stabilizer on the house. It may depend upon how deep the stabilizer is.

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

F500, Mac: do your gutters look like mine? I don't know how sturdy my gutters are -- seems like thin sheet metal. I'd be using a ~22' aluminum extension ladder extended out to about 15-18 feet. This may create some leverage along the frame of the gutter. When you go up -- similar setup?

Last thing I need right now is to turn a small problem into a big one requiring replacement of the gutter :)

If I buy the stabilizer, I may have to rest the stabilizer on the roof tiles -- I'm not sure I'm tall enough to reach the gutter if I rest the stabilizer on the house. It may depend upon how deep the stabilizer is.

Your gutters look pretty good- I notice the hang over and the slope of the roof and I do not think a stabilizer will work for you for the two main reasons... bracing in on the house is surely out as your gutters hang out too far from the wall of the house... and you seem to have a shallow slope in that picture and I doubt the stabilizers would help at all.

I do think you can put the ladder up against the gutters- Try it in one place near a corner to see how far the braces are apart and push on the gutter as far away as you can and see if it flexes at all. Also see what the spacing is for the braces and figure that into equation to determine where you put the ladder up . .. and of course make and use a tool like I described to minimize the times you need to move the ladder.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#11 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thanks F500. Will try that; I'm also thinking now that maybe I can rest the stabilizer along the inside of the gutter and therefore the frame of the roof right below the tiles.

Thanks for the tip on the tool. I'll try to make / buy something like that.

#12 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Also- for gutter cleaning, make yourself a tool using a broom handle,or better 6 or 8 ft plant stake (1/2 diameter metal often with green covering ) and attach a piece of bent metal wide enough to fit the bottom of the gutter at the end. Use this to scrape the stuff in the gutter towards you. Have the garbage can right next to the ladder and you can drop all the stuff - most of which will be in the can ( depends on your aim). The tool will fit under the gutter braces ( be sure to factor this in when you make it) so you can go the full length of the tool.
This way you can clean from both directions and only have to move the ladder a couple of times. You can also use the other end of your new tool to push any debri down the down spout and then flush both the gutter and downspout with water.

Didn't you develop some gadget to make the process easier? I vaguely remember you saying that you would also do it, for a fee.

#13 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yes. I have an Elliott home in Empire Ranch. I brace the extension ladder on the house at times, but also on the gutters and I haven't ever had a problem. Watch me have a problem when I put up the Christmas lights. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users