12 replies to this topic

#1 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Having worked in journalism for a few decades, it's interesting to see what the current trends are in the way news is delivered and consumed.  To be honest, these trends are quite alarming.  

Just read an internal report from Bloomberg which concluded that right now, 200 times more news is delivered and consumed from Social Media than from Mainstream Media.  The basic metric for this is eye-minutes.  In other words, for every minute spent reading news on Mainstream Media, Americans spend 200 minutes reading news on Social Media.

So if you think Mainstream Media is the bad guy in the news cycle, you've picked the wrong boogie man.  You should be aiming your consternation at Social Media.  

As an example, the Bloomberg report highlighted a trending story that said Trump would fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions in the next few days and was giving serious consideration to appointing Judge Judy to the post.   And people are buying this drivel.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Again, I have warned of this for years.  Social media is under no constraint of integrity, honesty, balance or civility.  Big social media alters the content we are allowed to see and bans people (and their ideas) without having to adhere to the 1st amendment. VERY dangerous when a couple people control the narrative and quash alternative ideas.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Hey Who_do, don't see your posts anymore.....

1A - 2A = -1A

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

Don't really think doxxing is appropriate. This is a neighborhood forum, not some national site. Furthermore, this is stalker-like behavior and entirely outside the bounds of a community forum.

Don't go there.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Just visiting this planet.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Interests:Truth Prevails

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

Let's see . . .

To be a journalist, you have to have an education, be reviewed and hired by a reputable firm,
have to obey rules on validating your reporting, and refrain from personal bias.

For social media . . . none of the above.

Those who rely solely on social media run the risk of damage by being misinformed.

1 God: 1 World: 1 People     :peaceman: 

#6 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Don't really think doxxing is appropriate. This is a neighborhood forum, not some national site. Furthermore, this is stalker-like behavior and entirely outside the bounds of a community forum.

Don't go there.

Ok, I'll try and be good......   

1A - 2A = -1A

#7 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

Let's see . . .

To be a journalist, you have to have an education, be reviewed and hired by a reputable firm,
have to obey rules on validating your reporting, and refrain from personal bias.

For social media . . . none of the above.

Those who rely solely on social media run the risk of damage by being misinformed.

Good article in Wired Magazine this month about the problems Facebook encounters with real news vs fake news.  Social Media Giants face a no win situation.  If they filter, edit, and censor posts they believe are inaccurate or untruthful, half their users go crazy.  If the don't filter, edit, and censor posts the other half of their users go nuts.

Joe - what's doxxing?  If people are trying to identify the true identity of users on this forum, I doubt it's possible.  As a part of the journalism industry, I pay extra attention to security issues for internet connections.  I connect to the internet thru a VPN that's hosted by one of my regular clients, the VPN has numerous security features, encrypts all communication, hides my computer S/N, and assigns a different IP address every time I connect.  Nobody is going to steal my passwords or S/S number.

#8 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

"Doxxing is a cyber attack that involves discovering the real identity of an Internet user. The attacker then reveals that person's details so others can target them with malicious attacks. Doxxing is analyzing information posted online by the victim in order to identify and later harass that person ..."

Even the news media can be guilty of this  http://reason.com/ar...-redditor-tells

With a VPN you should be pretty safe, although sometimes people mine content of posts to put together a profile and make educated guesses to fill in the blanks.  I really don't care if anyone knows who I am here. Before I was the Average Joe, I used my name here. Anyone trolling could probably figure out where I  live, etc if they had so little in their lives that they feel inclined to do so.  Meh.

I feel my discourse is generally pretty tame (certainly by internet standards), and stand behind my opinions, so I don't worry too much about those that would seek to destroy by exposing that information to others. Personal things like phone numbers and both real and internet addresses are over the line though. There is no LEGITIMATE reason to publicly post that kind of information about people. The only reason to do so is to intimidate.  Whatever.  Don't start none, won't be none.  It is scary how much information about each of us is out there though.

#9 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

In case you missed it, the doxxing conversation was all brought up by a post that has since been deleted. Not sure if by the poster or admin.

#10 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

Joe, had no idea what doxxing is but....   

7-You-make-me-want-to-be-a-better-man.gi

1A - 2A = -1A

#11 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:49 PM

In case you missed it, the doxxing conversation was all brought up by a post that has since been deleted. Not sure if by the poster or admin.

OK.  The post you refer to is probably from a person I have on ignore?   Appreciate the time you took to explain.  

Like you, I've probably left enough breadcrumbs in previous posts that someone could dig thru it all and after a ton of research figure out my identity.  Doubt anyone will spend the 100's of hours to do it however.

#12 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Just visiting this planet.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Interests:Truth Prevails

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Lt. Col. Ralph Peters says he's 'ashamed' of Fox News and leaves his role as analyst

http://www.latimes.c...0320-story.html

Retired Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, a longtime analyst for Fox News, told colleagues he is done
with the network he says has become "a propaganda machine" for President Trump.

Ohh, that's gotta sting, coming from an insider!      :smashpc:            :wave2: :USA:

1 God: 1 World: 1 People     :peaceman: 

#13 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

Well, good for him....!   We really should be ashamed of CNN, MSNBC, NPR, ABC, CBS, et al.   They are so bad, should be ashamed of themselves too....  Ralph will pop up on MSNBC next week, for better pay I am sure.   Oh, and I read one of his books.  "Cain at Gettysburg", historical fiction, was very good.  All the best to you Ralph, just don't get sucked up in the liberal cool aid like our Tio Vinny and most people in NYC.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mainstream Media, Social Media, News cycle, Fake News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users