• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

There is a new Indian food restaurant by Safeway where Kirala Sushi used to be... anyone gone yet?

#2 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Is it open yet? Saw the "coming soon" sign a couple of weeks ago. Looked like it wasn't nearly ready then.

#3 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

They are open, and currently their lunch buffet is at a below market $8pp. I don't expect that can last long, but it's a good idea to let people try their food out for a low, low price. There was a decent-sized crowd today for lunch. There was a handwritten sign saying that they have a vegetarian buffet on Tuesday nights (also for $8, IIRC).

It's a mixed review from me, but worth trying, IMO. Perhaps they'll improve as time goes on, or maybe I caught them on a somewhat below average day. Their dinner entree prices seem quite reasonable, but I haven't compared dinner prices recently (hardly ever go out for dinner these days).

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

The tough thing for this restaurant is that it will have to compete with Curry Club (near Winco), which is superb.

My review: if Curry Club gets an A, this place gets a B. The veggie samosas were excellent. Vegetable Biryani was good, but not as flavorful as Curry Club. Chicken Tikka Masala was a very unappetizing color and did not have the exquisite flavor of Curry Club. Nan was very good.

Prices are slightly lower than Curry Club.

Service was excellent -- these folks clearly want their restaurant to succeed.

I would urge them to try to improve their chicken tikka masala.

When I saw "Express" in the name, I was hoping this would be a fairly inexpensive take-out kind of place, but it's a sit-down restaurant.

#5 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

We walked in today & when we got talking the waiter said that they previously owned Taj India on Bidwell. There was not a single customer when we were there.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

We walked in today & when we got talking the waiter said that they previously owned Taj India on Bidwell. There was not a single customer when we were there.

oh, that's good to know! the food at Taj Indian was good! one of the best! I'll go in for sure now.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Would think it would do VERY well being right across from Intel. I'll check it out. How's the tandoori chicken? Once the weather cools down, a little Indian buffet (especially if they're playing some Indian rave-like music like they do at Bombay Bistro in Roseville) goes down so well.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#8 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

How's the tandoori chicken? Once the weather cools down, a little Indian buffet (especially if they're playing some Indian rave-like music like they do at Bombay Bistro in Roseville) goes down so well.

No music playing when I was there for lunch, sorry. The Tandoori Chicken was one of the few items I thought was perfect; just the way I like it. Others might disagree, but then I disagree with others who like India House's Tandoori. Each to their own!

#9 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

We had dinner there last night. We ordered chicken Biryani ( spicy) and it was really good. The portion was huge. Two of us shared it and we still bought some home.

#10 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

We LOVED Taj India so if it the same people we will be there tonight! Their saag is outstanding. Always liked their chicken tikka masala, but maybe they are doing it differently?

Not fans of Curry Club. The food is fine, but the service has been, for us, very frustrating. We are not Indian and maybe that is it, but the staff there has been so cold to us that we just don't return. Tried it 3-4 times thinking that maybe it was an off day. Never a smile, never checking to see if we need anything, never a thank you.

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Curry Express is wonderful! We went for lunch today and buffet entries I had never tried before, so that was fun. all of it was flavorful and not overly salty (which we have found to be the case at some other Indian restaurants in Folsom). The owner remembered us from when we used to eat next to the DMV and came up to say hello. that was very nice. the place was packed with other Indians, many with Intel id badges. That is a good sign that the food is good.

new favorite in Folsom. love the space too!

#12 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

We LOVED Taj India so if it the same people we will be there tonight! Their saag is outstanding. Always liked their chicken tikka masala, but maybe they are doing it differently?

Not fans of Curry Club. The food is fine, but the service has been, for us, very frustrating. We are not Indian and maybe that is it, but the staff there has been so cold to us that we just don't return. Tried it 3-4 times thinking that maybe it was an off day. Never a smile, never checking to see if we need anything, never a thank you.

We are Indians and have had the exact same experience. We called in to order food to go. They said why don't you take food from our buffet to go. I expected them to give me tiny containers to take at least a couple of curries. They instead gave me a small box with two sections. We could fit just rice and one curry. When I asked for an additional container they said they could not do that and charged me 10 bucks.We felt cheated...

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

We are Indians and have had the exact same experience. We called in to order food to go. They said why don't you take food from our buffet to go. I expected them to give me tiny containers to take at least a couple of curries. They instead gave me a small box with two sections. We could fit just rice and one curry. When I asked for an additional container they said they could not do that and charged me 10 bucks.We felt cheated...

you are talking about Curry Club, right? not Curry Express.

#14 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

So we checked it out the other night. The owner of Taj India is not the owner here, but works there 6 days a week (not sure how that works). The veggie pakoras were the best that I have ever had with a much lighter batter than usual, well seasoned and crispy. The saag was just like Taj India as was the chicken tikka masala - delicious. Tried the biriyani, which I have not done before and it was ok, nothing fabulous, but i don't have anything to compare it too. The aloo gobi was great too. Naan was just right, very good, but not the absolute best ever, but that is fine. I would be happy to go back. It was relatively busy for an Indian restaurant at night, people coming in consistently, but plenty of tables. Hope they start doing the thali dinners that Taj India used to do. Those were always fun to try new things.

No alcohol license yet.

We like India House and really like how welcoming the owner is there. We will probably go to both happily.

#15 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hope they start doing the thali dinners that Taj India used to do.

what are thali dinners?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users