Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Do You Believe In God?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Poll: In your opinion (90 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe in god

1. Yes, 100% sure (51 votes [56.67%])

Percentage of vote: 56.67%

2. No, 100% sure (10 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Yes, but not 100% sure (10 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. No, but not 100% sure (14 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

5. Not sure at all. (5 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

Just wondering where we stand here on Myfolsom... smile.gif
<3

#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(Andrea V @ Nov 4 2007, 10:43 PM) View Post
Just wondering where we stand here on Myfolsom... smile.gif

What's with all the religion related posts here lately? Is there some big event coming and people are trying to prepare themselves? The end of the world doesn't come until Dec 2012 so we do still have some time........

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 Maitreya

Maitreya

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

So what is the definition of God here?

A monotheistic being?
A collective conciousness?
A sentient soul?
A source of energy?
The father of Jesus Christ?
A sense of spiritual enlightement?

Are you assuming that there is only one, and if there is good then there must be evil?

Peace,
M

#4 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Maitreya @ Nov 5 2007, 12:49 AM) View Post
So what is the definition of God here?

A monotheistic being?
A collective conciousness?
A sentient soul?
A source of energy?
The father of Jesus Christ?
A sense of spiritual enlightement?

Are you assuming that there is only one, and if there is good then there must be evil?

Peace,
M

Jesus + God = Holy Spirit smile.gif

-Ryan

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#5 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(Suburban Pool Service @ Nov 5 2007, 09:30 AM) View Post
Jesus + God = Holy Spirit smile.gif

I thought it was Father + Son + HolySpirit = God

and

Father + Son + HolySpirit != Polytheism

But I have to admit, the whole idea of the Trinity is pretty confusing to me. Does anyone know when that idea was first introduced?

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

Has anyone told GW that he's not god yet?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hey look, it only took 6 posts to link religion to politics.

Go figure.

#8 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Nov 5 2007, 11:13 AM) View Post
Hey look, it only took 6 posts to link religion to politics.

Go figure.

people will be people....I think it's still valid...I mean the poll...

#9 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 5 2007, 10:41 AM) View Post
Has anyone told GW that he's not god yet?

With her smug condescension and arrogance, Hillary thinks she's God...... thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#10 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:18 PM

God certainly does a mean Wash & Wax.

[attachment=1300:carwash.jpg]

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#11 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

I think the results of this poll are very interesting (assuming all the votes are discrete, of which there is no guarantee).

Almost 1/3 of respondents either definitely don't believe God exists, or are pretty sure He doesn't.

It seems like just a short time ago that polls showed that only a tiny fraction of Americans admitted to being non-religious, and Americans deemed atheists the "least trustworthy" of any Americans, even behind lawyers and car dealers.

I think we are seeing a sea-change in Americans' attitudes toward religion. More and more people are feeling free to say, "You know, I don't really believe all that stuff..."

Regardless of whether you believe or don't believe, I think it is a good thing for people to be freed from the social pressure to conform -- to espouse a set of beliefs just because everyone else does. It will be interesting to see what happens to organized religion as the stigma of being an atheist disappears.

We may be following Europe's route toward a secular society -- just a decade or two behind.

#12 dlutz

dlutz

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Nov 5 2007, 01:38 PM) View Post
I think the results of this poll are very interesting (assuming all the votes are discrete, of which there is no guarantee).

Almost 1/3 of respondents either definitely don't believe God exists, or are pretty sure He doesn't.

It seems like just a short time ago that polls showed that only a tiny fraction of Americans admitted to being non-religious, and Americans deemed atheists the "least trustworthy" of any Americans, even behind lawyers and car dealers.

I think we are seeing a sea-change in Americans' attitudes toward religion. More and more people are feeling free to say, "You know, I don't really believe all that stuff..."

Regardless of whether you believe or don't believe, I think it is a good thing for people to be freed from the social pressure to conform -- to espouse a set of beliefs just because everyone else does. It will be interesting to see what happens to organized religion as the stigma of being an atheist disappears.

We may be following Europe's route toward a secular society -- just a decade or two behind.

As one of the "No, 100% Sure" respondents, I whole heartedly agree. I've been an atheist for the last 25 years and have noticed a definite change in attitude over just the last couple of years. I think part of the reason is ironically all the religious zealotry surrounding us lately. The backlash is causing more and more fence sitters to come to our side.

I've never been one of those radical atheists who make it their life's work to fight religion. I couldn't care less if the word "god" is in the pledge, the 10 commandments are in a court house, or if the city wants to put up a nativity scene for Christmas. Most of us just simply want to lives our lives. And you've never heard of an Atheist suicide bomber, we know we're only here for a short time so why cut it short.

#13 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(mrdavex @ Nov 5 2007, 12:18 PM) View Post
God certainly does a mean Wash & Wax.
[attachment=1300:carwash.jpg]

Speaking of that, I just got back from Splash & Dash Car Wash...I love that place. The car looks great for not alot of $$$ (like the place on Glenn). driving.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Nov 5 2007, 01:38 PM) View Post

uh--did you mean "non-secular"?

Anyway, while I was stationed in Germany a friend told me that it is mandatory to pay a minimum of a %10 tax on a religious church. I said really? I thought most of Germany was protestant, where tithes are collected in the church; and she said oh, yes you are supposed to pay those to the minister, as well.

So, I'm not sure I followed your point?

#15 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:43 PM

The Bear and the Atheist
An atheist was walking through the woods one day, admiring all that evolution had created. Suddenly he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. Turning to look, he saw an 8 foot grizzly bear beginning to charge toward him.

He ran as fast as he could down the path. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was rapidly closing on him Running faster yet, he looked again and the bear was even closer. His heart was pounding in his chest. He tried to run faster. But alas, he tripped and fell to the ground.

As he rolled over to pick himself up, the bear was right over him, reaching for him with its left paw and raising its right paw to strike him. The atheist cried..."OH MY GOD!"

Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent. Even the river stopped moving. As a brilliant light shone upon the man, a thunderous voice came from the sky.

"YOU DENY MY EXISTENCE FOR ALL THESE YEARS, TEACH OTHERS THAT I DON'T EXIST AND EVEN CREDIT CREATION TO SOME COSMIC ACCIDENT. NOW, YOU EXPECT ME TO HELP YOU AND DAMN THIS BEAR? AM I TO COUNT YOU AS A CHRISTIAN?"

The atheist looked directly into the light and said, "Why don't you try and make the bear a Christian?"
"VERY WELL," said the voice. The light went out. The river ran. The sounds of the forest resumed. ... and the bear dropped down to his knees, brought both paws together, bowed his head and spoke: "Lord, thank you for this food which I am about to receive."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users