P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

What do you all think about the City killing off the grassy center section in the middle of Oak Ave Pkwy in the Lexington Hills development. There are signs along the section saying they want to remove the grass to conserve water and such. Considering the state of the lake and economic reasons I don't see it unreasonable. Just concerned about what the new area will look like and hope it doesn't lower the value of the surrounding community. The grass has been there as long as I have lived in Lexington Hills, since '89. I will greatly miss the excess water running off all over the street that always seems to be on right after I wash my truck.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

I'm glad they are doing it; I sure hope they seriously invest in getting recycled water in to our parks and schools. If our lawns are gonna go brown this summer, the city and schools better follow suit!

#3 FolsomResident2002

FolsomResident2002

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

+1
QUOTE (john @ Jan 29 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad they are doing it; I sure hope they seriously invest in getting recycled water in to our parks and schools. If our lawns are gonna go brown this summer, the city and schools better follow suit!

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

I would change my front yard to rock and gravel and a few small bushes if others in the area would do it to. I wouldn't want to be the only sore thumb in the area.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

Cross over Blue Ravine on the North side of Oak Ave. You'll see the finished product. Not too bad looking.....yet.

#6 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

It is interesting, the city is all about conserving water, but there is a water leak at one of my clients homes. The city has confirmed (about 2 weeks ago) that it is the city's problem due to location from the meter. They still have not fixed it and water continues to run out. Now it is not a gusher, but a slow flow.

I would think all water leaks would be a priority.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Jan 29 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would change my front yard to rock and gravel and a few small bushes if others in the area would do it to. I wouldn't want to be the only sore thumb in the area.

you can actually have a very green looking front yard in our climate without grass. There are lots of plants that will be lush year round and even flower during different seasons. You do have to water them for the first three years (not as much as a lawn takes though) and then only when its super hot (over 105) deeply once a month. These types of lawns also can feed birds, bees, and butterflies better than a rock and gravel yard, so it feels alive.

There are numerous varieties of rosemary (upright, creeping, blue, purple, etc.), hawthorne, butterfly bush, fortnight lily, western red bud, guara, citrus trees, juniper and cedar trees, in fact lots of trees. and, better yet, it doesn't have to be mowed! less pollution and expense right there! just a pruning now and again in winter and you're good to go.

maybe you could ask your neighbors how they feel about it. they might be thinking the same thing. I have also seen really nice designs where they start by minimizing the size of the lawn until they're comfortable with the change.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (M.E.G. @ Jan 30 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is interesting, the city is all about conserving water, but there is a water leak at one of my clients homes. The city has confirmed (about 2 weeks ago) that it is the city's problem due to location from the meter. They still have not fixed it and water continues to run out. Now it is not a gusher, but a slow flow.

I would think all water leaks would be a priority.

M.E.G.

Agree that sounds like it is certainly breaking at least 2 or 3 of the Stage 2 and 3 water restrictions.

#9 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

we like the foothills, green in the spring and golden in the summer. we just have to get used to having the lawns in our city look like the foothills.

#10 FolsomH2O

FolsomH2O

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

it just amazes me that as I drive through some of the neighborhood here in Folsom, people are running their sprinklers.

#11 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jan 30 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can actually have a very green looking front yard in our climate without grass. There are lots of plants that will be lush year round and even flower during different seasons. You do have to water them for the first three years (not as much as a lawn takes though) and then only when its super hot (over 105) deeply once a month. These types of lawns also can feed birds, bees, and butterflies better than a rock and gravel yard, so it feels alive.

There are numerous varieties of rosemary (upright, creeping, blue, purple, etc.), hawthorne, butterfly bush, fortnight lily, western red bud, guara, citrus trees, juniper and cedar trees, in fact lots of trees. and, better yet, it doesn't have to be mowed! less pollution and expense right there! just a pruning now and again in winter and you're good to go.

maybe you could ask your neighbors how they feel about it. they might be thinking the same thing. I have also seen really nice designs where they start by minimizing the size of the lawn until they're comfortable with the change.

I actually did a red lava rock (small stone) front yard with white (small stone) as a border. It looked real nice.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (FolsomH2O @ Jan 30 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it just amazes me that as I drive through some of the neighborhood here in Folsom, people are running their sprinklers.

You are so right. Mine has been off for the last two weeks.

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Jan 30 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are so right. Mine has been off for the last two weeks.

I haven't watered since the first week in October
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#14 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

My sprinklers have been off since October, also. My grass looks just the same as my neighbor's lawn, who still waters at least every other day.

#15 Toadster

Toadster

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

I'd much rather be able to drink a glass of water and watch the brown grass die versus, the green grass take my water away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users