26 replies to this topic

#1 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

--Posting removed because folks can't seem to answer my question without giving their opinion (which wasn't asked for) or tell me I'm wrong or that I'm an idiot.

I can't figure out how to remove this posting, so I'll just end it by removing the original question. --

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (Coastal Cohort @ Feb 16 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favorite house on N Lex painted their brick on their exterior around their garage and I think it looks great! In fact, when we next paint our house, I'm going to copy their paint scheme! biggrin.gif
It got me to thinking, the brick around our fireplaces that (I think) we all have might look good painted. Has anyone done it? If so, would you be willing to share photos?

You know the saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Everytime I see painted brick, my thought is "who's the idiot that painted perfectly good looking brick"

My fireplace is a typical modern home insert, I have some grey tile around and in front of it, then some built up molding for a mantle. I figure if I wanted to make it look nicer, I would have someone build a facade with "used" brick to make it look nicer.

As they say, "to each his own"
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 16 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know the saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Everytime I see painted brick, my thought is "who's the idiot that painted perfectly good looking brick"

My fireplace is a typical modern home insert, I have some grey tile around and in front of it, then some built up molding for a mantle. I figure if I wanted to make it look nicer, I would have someone build a facade with "used" brick to make it look nicer.

As they say, "to each his own"

Oh, so you're calling me an idiot???? unsure.gif

Like I said, I'm interested in hearing from folks who have painted their fireplace brick, not reasons why I need to copy your home's decor...

I know your style is to be a bit blunt Bill, but I'm not interested in hearing that I'm an idiot.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

Painted brick actually does look nice, I've seen single color and multi color paint jobs that looked really good on external walls (and interior too)

and as for brick around a fire place.... red does not always work in every house.... I personally like a more finished look and painting and sealing the brick often looks a lot better then leaving it raw...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

I think that painted brick looks like crap....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Feb 16 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So do I. While I realize some people like it, it's so unfathomable to me that anyone can find it attractive. It's kinda like when a pretty girl covers her face with metal and tattoos. While in my head I know that some people might like it, in my gut I go yuck!

#7 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Feb 16 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good thing it's not all about you

#8 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

I hope that wasn't his house you are shredding....He is sharing the photo to show u what it looks like...Nothing wrong with that..
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Coastal Cohort @ Feb 16 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, so you're calling me an idiot???? unsure.gif

Like I said, I'm interested in hearing from folks who have painted their fireplace brick, not reasons why I need to copy your home's decor...

I know your style is to be a bit blunt Bill, but I'm not interested in hearing that I'm an idiot.

I guess the answer to that is yes & no.

Directly, No, I am not calling you an idiot. But indirectly, I suppose so, but still not really.
See, when I'm driving around and notice a painted brick house for instance, the owner/painter is an unknown faceless entity. So my honest thought is "who's the idiot that painted perfectly good looking brick", it's an opinion thought. It doesn't mean I really think people who do paint their brickwork are real idiots by the true definition of idiot. But I happen to like the look of natural brick, I know how expensive real brick work is, so I do think it stupid to cover it up with cheap paint. Why have brickwork if you don't like the appearance of brickwork?
I would rather be Backpacking

#10 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

I'm sorry, but I hate painted brick too....

I could tolerate it inside, but I'd make chris scrape it all off if it was outside on our house.

I remember as a kid when my mom and I were looking for a new house (to buy) and I'd say OHH THAT ONE, and she'd say, no brick honey, it is too expensive.

Brick that is NOT PAINTED looks pretty! And makes the house more valuable, well it used to, not sure if it still does (maybe steve the dad can confirm for me)

It makes me think of the people who get a house and lift the funky carpet, and see Beautiful hardwood under that they just cover up with carpet... to each his own I suppose.

Brick is beautiful, don't cover it. smile.gif
<3

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

keep in mind that if you want to remove the paint sometime in the future, it may damage the brick. brick is fire-hardened in a kiln and the exterior layer is a protective seal. the inner part of the brick is weaker/softer. this is more important on exterior brick where it is exposed to weather. when brick is sand-blasted, for instance, it removes part of that protective layer and the brick will begin to gradually erode.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Feb 17 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
keep in mind that if you want to remove the paint sometime in the future, it may damage the brick. brick is fire-hardened in a kiln and the exterior layer is a protective seal. the inner part of the brick is weaker/softer. this is more important on exterior brick where it is exposed to weather. when brick is sand-blasted, for instance, it removes part of that protective layer and the brick will begin to gradually erode.

that's good to know, now I'll never buy with painted brick. smile.gif
<3

#13 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Feb 16 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good thing it's not all about you

I don't know who you are but from all your reports on here, you seem to think it is all about you.
Enough said. I am just giving my opinion which is what this board is all about.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#14 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 17 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess the answer to that is yes & no.

Directly, No, I am not calling you an idiot. But indirectly, I suppose so, but still not really.
See, when I'm driving around and notice a painted brick house for instance, the owner/painter is an unknown faceless entity. So my honest thought is "who's the idiot that painted perfectly good looking brick", it's an opinion thought. It doesn't mean I really think people who do paint their brickwork are real idiots by the true definition of idiot. But I happen to like the look of natural brick, I know how expensive real brick work is, so I do think it stupid to cover it up with cheap paint. Why have brickwork if you don't like the appearance of brickwork?

Bill, that is exactly how I feel.

#15 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Feb 16 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Painted brick actually does look nice, I've seen single color and multi color paint jobs that looked really good on external walls (and interior too)

and as for brick around a fire place.... red does not always work in every house.... I personally like a more finished look and painting and sealing the brick often looks a lot better then leaving it raw...

Painting brick is the HGTV cheap way of "updating" a look. I think it's better to leave it and change the wall color, trim, etc to make room, etc look good.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users