145 replies to this topic

#1 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

I know this is a Folsom forum, but I'd like your opinion. We are considering moving to GB (or Folsom) for better schools from Sacramento.

I'm leaning towards GB since it's closer to my family and smaller, but I'm worried its overly conservative (politically).

If you have experience or opinions, please let me know. I want my children to experience a wide range of viewpoints. I've heard stories about over-zealous parents trying to ban certain books from schools, etc.

#2 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(bellaj @ May 8 2007, 03:30 PM) View Post
I know this is a Folsom forum, but I'd like your opinion. We are considering moving to GB (or Folsom) for better schools from Sacramento.

I'm leaning towards GB since it's closer to my family and smaller, but I'm worried its overly conservative (politically).

If you have experience or opinions, please let me know. I want my children to experience a wide range of viewpoints. I've heard stories about over-zealous parents trying to ban certain books from schools, etc.

I should add that I don't want to offend anyone. I know Placer (and GB) is a more conservative area, which is fine, I just want my kids exposed to different viewpoints and ideas.

#3 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

There's no such thing as being too politically conservative.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ May 8 2007, 04:01 PM) View Post
There's no such thing as being too politically conservative.

I grew up in GB before they had their own schools. I can say this though-GB was a great place to grow up. You shouldn't worry too much about narrow, shallow or lack of view points when rearing your kids here.

Mostly if your kids receive a fair degree of education on life at home there defineately going to be fine. From what I understand GB has excelled at making and maintaining their schools.

Folsom is a great place to grow up too. Really with the two so close you can't be too far from family.

Enjoy your search, and I hope you find the home that 'fits'.

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

I would like to move to GB. It's not conservative enough in my opinion. Can't never have enough of a good thing.

#6 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

Does it really matter, really?

#7 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

it does matter to me. That's why I put up this post.

I'm pretty liberal and don't want to feel like an outsider where I live, among the other issues I've already raised.

#8 gorilla

gorilla

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(bellaj @ May 8 2007, 05:36 PM) View Post

I'm pretty liberal and don't want to feel like an outsider where I live, among the other issues I've already raised.

Granite Bay is very conservative, so is Folsom

#9 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

I really don't understand why you would feel that way just because someplace is conservative, unless you have bad feelings toward conservatives.

#10 Duke

Duke

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Here ya go:

[www.votingresearch.org.]

Americas 25 Most Liberal Cities (in descending order)

Rank City State

1 Detroit Michigan

2 Gary Indiana

3 Berkeley California

4 Washington, D.C. Dist. of Columbia

5 Oakland California

6 Inglewood California

7 Newark New Jersey

8 Cambridge Massachusetts

9 San Francisco California

10 Flint Michigan

11 Cleveland Ohio

12 Hartford Connecticut

13 Paterson New Jersey

14 Baltimore Maryland

15 New Haven Connecticut

16 Seattle Washington

17 Chicago Illinois

18 Philadelphia Pennsylvania

19 Birmingham Alabama

20 St. Louis Missouri

21 New York New York

22 Providence Rhode Island

23 Minneapolis Minnesota

24 Boston Massachusetts

25 Buffalo New York

#11 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

Really? I think Folsom is pretty liberal compared to most of the Sacramento region. I can't speak for GB though, sorry.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#12 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hey bella,

Sorry, can't help with GB at all, but Folsom (from what you can already see by the warm and fuzzy responses in this thread wink.gif ) is fairly conservative, at least as cities in California go. My guess is that most of the surrounding areas are as well (GB, Folsom, EDH, Cameron Park), although that's just speculation on my part.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of people in town with differing political views, and frankly, outside of these forums and bumper stickers, I've not run into any blatant political nonsense in town. If you're active in political and community affairs and such, you'd probably notice it more so than I though.

Good luck.

#13 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(bishmasterb @ May 8 2007, 06:55 PM) View Post
Hey bella,

Sorry, can't help with GB at all, but Folsom (from what you can already see by the warm and fuzzy responses in this thread wink.gif ) is fairly conservative, at least as cities in California go. My guess is that most of the surrounding areas are as well (GB, Folsom, EDH, Cameron Park), although that's just speculation on my part.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of people in town with differing political views, and frankly, outside of these forums and bumper stickers, I've not run into any blatant political nonsense in town. If you're active in political and community affairs and such, you'd probably notice it more so than I though.

Good luck.

that's good to hear

#14 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(bellaj @ May 8 2007, 03:30 PM) View Post

This post should be preserved and published every time there is a debate over philosophical beliefs!

So you want to move from your liberal neighborhood to a conservative neighborhood for better schools, yet you are worried about it being overly conservative?

Did you ever stop and think that maybe the reason why the schools in your more liberal neighborhood aren't as good as schools in the conservative neighborhoods is the result of the inherrent failure of liberalism?

If I could politely suggest rather than moving to neighborhoods with better schools, you should first reconsider your philosophical beliefs. Maybe do a study on why schools in neighborhoods with simliar thinkers like yourself aren't as successful as others who think differently?

Then again, you could just blame society along with the conservatives, as the reason why some schools are better than others, then launch your crusade of opening the eyes of the conservatives around you while your children are reaping the rerwards of the better schools your new conservative neighbors established.

Good luck!

#15 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(bellaj @ May 8 2007, 07:30 PM) View Post

Sounds like Sacramento would be a great place to live (for you).
Of course , Santa Cruz might even be better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users