EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(Parizienne @ Jul 16 2007, 03:10 PM) View Post
FWIW:

From what I can tell, there is a mixture of liberals and conservatives here in Folsom. I don't think we have anyone that is far, far to the right ( like you might see in Orange County) or far, far to the left ( like you might see in Berkeley). I came here expecting more Conservatism and have encountered mostly moderates that lean left or lean right. I think, with the influx of people from the Bay Area, we have more leaning left than we used to, but I've only been here for a year.

As for asking the original question, I don't think it's as loaded as you're all suggesting. I lived in a very conservative community for a long time. Being a left-leaning moderate in that environment was difficult because many people, while friendly, just didn't share my views and values. And there were a fair amount of bigots and liberal-bashers there. It did get tiresome, especially when I took great pains in my classroom to make sure that everyone's perspectives were honored and respected by all students whether they aligned with my own or not.

Once in a while, I'd encounter a liberal student in class. It was uncomfortable for me when the liberal student would express a personal view, such as atheism, in the context of medieval European theocracy (a 7th grade standard in social science), and a conservative student would disregard the academic argument in favor of a moral one in which the liberal child was subjected to the conservative student's moral judgements (i.e. all atheists go to hell and whatnot). Likewise, I could not abide someone with a liberal agenda imposing it on conservative students ( i.e. religious people are sheep following a figment of their imagination called "God"). I am religious, myself, and can appreciate the values associated with the conservative perspective, but I also think everyone should be free to make up his or her own mind without the snap judgements of others.

I don't have a problem with students engaging in rational debate, but when the majority intimidates the minority, the flow of ideas and the continuum of thoughts can just clog. It's very sad. I think Bella's concerns are reasonable, and it's a valid question to pose. It would be just as reasonable for a mom moving to Davis or Madison or Berkeley asking what she might encounter living in those liberal areas if she is conservative and concerned about the contradictory messages her children might experience in the majority view.

Pari.

This is a very well thought out and written reply Pari.
(and I was raised in Berkeley, Ca)

#137 realtor

realtor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Tennis, Dancing, Travel, interesting stuff and things to do.

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

Did you see today's Bee? It seems that the over 40 Mom's rule...possible due to the cost of homes? I'm just glad that I had my kids in my 20's and can now enjoy the time with them in a coherent conversation...not the usual..."so, what did you learn at school today?"
I envy the homes but enjoy playing tennis on Monday mornings.

#138 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(realtor @ Jul 29 2007, 06:37 PM) View Post
Did you see today's Bee? It seems that the over 40 Mom's rule...possible due to the cost of homes? I'm just glad that I had my kids in my 20's and can now enjoy the time with them in a coherent conversation...not the usual..."so, what did you learn at school today?"
I envy the homes but enjoy playing tennis on Monday mornings.

Actually, most of the women featured in the article had their kids in their mid-30s. A friend of mine even commented on how misleading it was, since it wasn't about women having kids after 40.

I don't really understand the rest of your post. It's pretty offensive actually. So people who choose to wait til their 30s or 40s to have kids can't have coherent conversations with them?
What are you talking about?

And to each her own-- glad you're happy you had kids in your 20s, but those of us who waited til their 30s are pretty happy with that decision too. I was in law school in my 20s, and otherwise traveling and enjoying life. I love being a parent, but for me, it was better for me to wait til early 30s to start.

I really think your post comes off as judgmental- maybe that's not what you intended but oh well.

p.s. I think people in GB have time for tennis too. LOL

#139 realtor

realtor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Tennis, Dancing, Travel, interesting stuff and things to do.

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

I don't really understand the rest of your post. It's pretty offensive actually. So people who choose to wait til their 30s or 40s to have kids can't have coherent conversations with them?
What are you talking about?

Apparently I didn't make my point clear...what I was referring to is the level of conversation with kids in grade school vs kids in college. Kids don't volunteer a lot of information and conversations seem to be more work vs older children who have developed interests, etc.
I just wanted to make the point that having kids earlier makes it easier when you get older...didn't mean to offend.

#140 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

ok, thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood.

#141 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

hey Bellaj, what did you end up? GB or Folsom?

#142 bellaj

bellaj

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jul 30 2007, 04:41 PM) View Post
hey Bellaj, what did you end up? GB or Folsom?

actually we're still looking in both areas- GB and ARCN.

#143 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(bellaj @ Jul 31 2007, 09:09 AM) View Post

I just saw a beautiful home in ARCN, it's priced higher but has been nicely updated

http://template.metr...t...m=70051578

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#144 realtor

realtor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(bellaj @ Jul 31 2007, 09:09 AM) View Post

There's a new one that just hit the market on Riva Ridge in Curragh Downs in Fair Oaks.
Needs some work but is priced right and the kitchen was just upgraded. Besides your next door neighbor would be Dave Cox...could come in handy some day...

#145 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Jul 30 2007, 02:25 PM) View Post
I'm glad I had my son when I was 20. The only weird thing is that I'm still young enough that some parents of my sons friends are old enough to be my parents. laugh.gif

Yeah it still creeps me out when people thought we were his BROTHER AND SISTER! haa!
<3

#146 aprilfool71

aprilfool71

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

Worrying about whether someplace is too "conservative" or too "liberal" for you to live in is petty. As far as I know if you look at voter registration for most every city in CA, yes even SF, it is pretty close to 50/50 democrat/republican give or take a few percentage points. If you are liberal there should be plenty of liberals in Granite Bay for you to associate with. However, if you choose your friends and neighbors based on their political philosophy you could find yourself very alienated and lonely very quickly.

Quality of life is first and foremost especially if you have kids. If the schools are top rated and there is low crime what else could you possibly want?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users