Smart phones

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

Ok - I finally got a smart phone but have a hundred questions about it that I cannot figure out. 

First - it is a Samsung Galaxy 5 -  It took me a long time ( days) to figure out how to answer a call and took me over 4 hours to figure how to make a call ( or something like that)  -

The instruction manual consisted of a 5 page index card sized paper with several sides that had a few pictures and even fewer words... 4

I have figured a number of things out about how to use it but have more questions than answers.

So I do not overwhelm this post with questions, I will ask a few at a time as I have not been able to easily find answers on the net nor in the online 1000 page manual

One for today---

I am interested in using the phone to access Yahoo IM.  I figured out how to load it, but wont until I understand some of the questions they ask ( and many of these are common to other apps that I have found and considered and rejected as I do not understand why they ask for the kind of access that they do) .

OK- I use Yahoo IM on my PC- and they do not ask me any information like the phone app.

Why does the phone app need to  know or have access to

-device and app history

-Identity

-contacts

--SMS-

-phone

-photos/media/files 

Others I can understand -

Many of these seem common to other apps that I have looked at - and thus  I have never loaded any....

Anyone tell me why and what's up ? 

Smart phone phobia

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

I'm with you on the smart phone phobia! I finally broke down and bought one so I could make wifi calls through T-Mobile's wifi calling since we get crap cell reception in our house (was tired of having to go down the street to make or receive a clear phone call). I use it only to make and receive calls and retrieve voice messages, so can't help you with the app situation or texting or anything like that.

However, I did discover that the "real" manuals are available online (the one that came in the box was like yours -- next to nothing; the one I found online for my particular phone is a couple hundred pages long).

Not sure who your provider is, but here are some links to the Samsung Galaxy S5 manual:

http://www.att.com/s...g_Galaxy_S5.pdf

http://support.sprin..._samsung_ug.pdf

https://support.t-mo... user guide.pdf

http://cache.vzw.com...alaxy-s5-ug.pdf

#3 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

I am more familiar with Apple. I'm sure your service provider could guide you through the basics. :)

#4 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:52 PM

Youtube is probably the best "how to" for this phone

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

My OP was not asking how to operate the phone, although I need to know more and will use the resources suggested.  

I was asking specifically about one app ( although the questions apply to most apps that I have seen).   I have never added an app as they are asking for access to things that I cannot figure why.

So to copy my first example from my op:

OK- I use Yahoo IM on my PC- and they do not ask me any information like the phone app.

-device and app history

-Identity

-contacts

--SMS-

-phone

-photos/media/files

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:02 AM

Many apps request similar info...It is essentially giving yahoo messenger to access those features of your phone to use while you use messenger (ie if you have a pic on your phone and want to send via yahoo messenger )

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

anytime you allow those phones access to apps you are allowing the phone company (or any legal law enforcement agency-or even a simple minded hacker) access to your account.

do yourself a favor and turn your gps off when you dont need it. remove the battery from from your phone when you dont need it.

if you dont need certain apps then ever access them on that phone.

occasionally have your phone swiped and start with a clean one. when you do, make sure a hacker hasnt dropped a contact into your phone list. Once they get onto your contact list your phone can be hacked.

#8 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:58 AM

My OP was not asking how to operate the phone, although I need to know more and will use the resources suggested.  

I was asking specifically about one app ( although the questions apply to most apps that I have seen).   I have never added an app as they are asking for access to things that I cannot figure why.

So to copy my first example from my op:

-device and app history

-Identity

-contacts

--SMS-

-phone

-photos/media/files

It's called Data Mining and Collection. "They" want to know all your habits, views, music, where you eat, etc, etc. As you get deeper into all these apps on smart phones they become inter-twined and eventually try to predict what you want. Read an article on Car and Driver next time you go to Yahoo you'll see something similar. Eat lunch at the same place 2x a week, your phone will eventually remind you. If you start to use Facebook it's all over.

Of course you can deny all this access but you'll have a much less enriched experience, as the smartphone salesman would say :)

#9 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Never really had an issue with ads being geared twords things I'm actually interested in based on my prior searches.  

For the paranoid, don't forget to wrap your phone in tin foil every night so that the gov't can't listen to your conversations.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#10 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

Never really had an issue with ads being geared twords things I'm actually interested in based on my prior searches.  

For the paranoid, don't forget to wrap your phone in tin foil every night so that the gov't can't listen to your conversations.

Ever Shazam a song? Use Google cards? Apple is pretty good at this stuff but Google is way better.

#11 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

Ever Shazam a song? Use Google cards? Apple is pretty good at this stuff but Google is way better.

Yep, Shazam many times, never heard of google cards.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#12 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Yep, Shazam many times, never heard of google cards.

Well they have heard of you :)

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

ha ha haaaa

things that really irritate me.

you click on google search and haven't typed anything- but the greyed out screen pops up and asks you to allow the site to pinpoint your location.

creepy.

you click on myfolsom and all the ads that show on the site are related to recent searches you have pulled up in google.

getting creepier

you go to amazon smile and it instantly goes to the buy site for the last thing you searched for--in google.

Would you like to buy it? new or used?

Are your bowels starting to feel a bit oily as you realize that every dime you spend is watched by google?

You go out on a date and take a cab home. You pay for the cab via cell phone.

The next morning you have a receipt in your google email and a separate ad for a hotel/air rates/shuttle services....and BTW would you like to buy some macaroons?

Pay pal, google play, microsoft points and veri-sign are making a killing on a 'I want it right now' society.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users