aircraft jets noise flightpath

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

I live in Chelsea Ridge & I've seen them passing over our hill, the Carpenter Hill Ridge? not sure what it's called. I've also seen planes at lower elevations circling over EDH which I thought was weird. It looked like they were heading east & then circled back towards the west.

Actually, I think I hear a plane right now (1030 pm), a low rumbling and now it's gone.

#17 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

The planes I've heard have always been between 4:00 AM - 6:00 AM.  It used to be like water torture... just as the final noise from one plane died down, the first noise from the next one would start.  After a while you lie there waiting for the next one, then the next...  It wasn't an unpleasant sound per se, but it woke me up and kept me awake.

Fortunately that has become a rare event in recent years.  It used to be worse.  I live not far from Highway 50, in the Willow Springs neighborhood.

I'm rarely annoyed by the planes anymore (it seems to happen more often in summer for some reason), but every now and then I'll hear a particularly low one coming in early.

So I can appreciate that some other people might be hearing the stuff I used to hear, if the routes are different now.

This had to do with landings at Mather, however, and not takeoffs from Mather, let alone SMF.

#18 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Yea, the noise doesnt really bother me. And I have no idea which airport they are associated with. I don't care. Sometimes it feels like I can reach up & touch them. Obviously, I cant. That's what bothers me, they seem so close.  It does remind me of all the recent plane crashes. If one ever goes down, I hope it's S50.

#19 James Neal

James Neal

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

James, where in Folsom do you live?

I live in Natoma Station, and I am more often bothered by loud helicopters than by airplane noise.

Folsom Heights near old downtown.

For anyone thats interested in knowing where aircraft fly in our region go to:

http://webtrak5.bksv.com/smf3

It doesn't record all aircraft traffic however. As we have numerous helicopters from CHP, Sheriff, Metro Fire (the big ones), news copters, small aircraft, military aircraft, etc. which I've noticed often don't show up on webtrak. All of the SMF & (as far as I know) the Mather traffic is recorded however.

I thought more Folsom residents would care given that this is a NEW flight path chosen by the FAA, not only is it new, its only one of 2 for ALL eastbound traffic. AFAIK there was no warning to the public for this change. Even Bree Taylor from SMF didn't know until she looked into it.

Perhaps I've underestimated the concern given the people already affected by Mather traffic. Maybe they don't want to cloud their issue with some other source of jet noise. Especially if it doesn't affect new development south of Hwy 50 which I suspect is why no city council members have responded to my email.

#20 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

Folsom Heights near old downtown.

It doesn't record all aircraft traffic however. As we have numerous helicopters from CHP, Sheriff, Metro Fire (the big ones), news copters, small aircraft, military aircraft, etc. which I've noticed often don't show up on webtrak. All of the SMF & (as far as I know) the Mather traffic is recorded however.

I thought more Folsom residents would care given that this is a NEW flight path chosen by the FAA, not only is it new, its only one of 2 for ALL eastbound traffic. AFAIK there was no warning to the public for this change. Even Bree Taylor from SMF didn't know until she looked into it.

Perhaps I've underestimated the concern given the people already affected by Mather traffic. Maybe they don't want to cloud their issue with some other source of jet noise. Especially if it doesn't affect new development south of Hwy 50.

Again- the flights out of SMF are at such a high altitude that their noise is barely heard. The Freeway a mile away makes more background noise. The other flights you mention are also much noisier with the helicopters, military aircraft, and some Mather noise.
I do not think it would be any worse (oh here comes one out of SMF now- the computer running next to me nearly drowned it out) if there was only 1 eastbound lane out of SMF.

Sure there is noise, but not enough to worry about and certainly nothing that would wake me up.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#21 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

I don't recall ever really hearing flight traffic, but that may be caused by my living the first 18 years of my life about 15 from O'Hare airport when it was the busiest airport in the world. I don't even really notice the noise when I go home to visit either. I have just gotten used to it. Sorry for those whom it bothers.

#22 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

NextGen routing is a national effort. Everyone complains the federal government is inefficient, slow and expensive. But if you demand that they contact every village and hamlet higher altitude aircraft will fly over in the nation as a result of such a change you can't be surprised the Feds are inefficient. If they were below 5,000 I've feel differently. I'd rather spend my whining effort being upset with S50.

-Robert

#23 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

occasionally i hear jets come in and it seems they are low... but im not sure that is a "norm"

i think in may we have the air thing at mather and it tends to get loud and busy over the entire area for several weeks--once the exhibition show is over they seem to scramble.

I do see helicopters fly right over my house on several occasions. Those are annoying.

By far the worse noise polluter is some jerk with loud mufflers that goes to work in his piece of junk car with after market mod mufflers-at 4am every morning.

#24 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

My favorite is the hardly davidsons with modified mufflers AND music blaring at 4:30 am....

#25 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for the link.

I will agree that the planes can be heard through closed windows. Around 6 am this morning I started to wake up and could hear the birds outside chirping. Then I heard the low rumble of a plane. A little later, I heard another plane and soon after that another. I checked the provided link and sure enough, our house (in the Parkway) is almost directly under one of the flight paths. The first plane was at 14,400 feet, the others were at 12,300 and 11,400. I'm not sure I would have heard them if I were still sleeping, but their noise was pretty distinct this morning. 

#26 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

While the noise doesn't bother me, I have to wonder why they didn't develop the corridors a few miles over and away from densely populated areas. Wouldn't make much difference to the planes or pilots, and there is plenty of open space both south and north of Sac.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#27 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

While the noise doesn't bother me, I have to wonder why they didn't develop the corridors a few miles over and away from densely populated areas. Wouldn't make much difference to the planes or pilots, and there is plenty of open space both south and north of Sac.

They're trying to maintain straight lines and minimize extra turns and bends. Noise Abatement procedures are usually developed for aircraft below 5,000 feet since that is where noise issues are more relevant. 

-Robert

#28 James Neal

James Neal

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

They're trying to maintain straight lines and minimize extra turns and bends. Noise Abatement procedures are usually developed for aircraft below 5,000 feet since that is where noise issues are more relevant. 

-Robert

There's nothing on their website to confirm your conjecture.

If they wanted to straighten out the flightpath they wouldn't make a sharp left turn when taking off from the south runway over the eastern suburbs. They would instead continue south and make a lazy left turn somewhere around Elk Grove.

This is all about getting more flights out at a faster pace.

https://www.faa.gov/...ots/priorities/

How they achieve this by condensing all the eastbound flights to just 2 paths instead of the many they used to have is beyond me.

But you are right about one thing. They don't listen to complaints about noise from jets above 5,000 feet or what they figure is 65db.

#29 James Neal

James Neal

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the link.

I will agree that the planes can be heard through closed windows. Around 6 am this morning I started to wake up and could hear the birds outside chirping. Then I heard the low rumble of a plane. A little later, I heard another plane and soon after that another. I checked the provided link and sure enough, our house (in the Parkway) is almost directly under one of the flight paths. The first plane was at 14,400 feet, the others were at 12,300 and 11,400. I'm not sure I would have heard them if I were still sleeping, but their noise was pretty distinct this morning. 

Welcome to the new normal.

I'm a few miles west of you and they are about 10,000 ft here. Some website says jets at that altitude make the same noise as a refrigerator. For the record, my refrigerator doesn't wake me up at 5:50 am.

Too bad my wife and I just spent ~$20,000 to landscape our back yard. We spend a lot of time out there now. She will retire next year and we had planned live out our lives here.

#30 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

There's nothing on their website to confirm your conjecture.

If they wanted to straighten out the flightpath they wouldn't make a sharp left turn when taking off from the south runway over the eastern suburbs. They would instead continue south and make a lazy left turn somewhere around Elk Grove.

This is all about getting more flights out at a faster pace.

https://www.faa.gov/...ots/priorities/

How they achieve this by condensing all the eastbound flights to just 2 paths instead of the many they used to have is beyond me.

But you are right about one thing. They don't listen to complaints about noise from jets above 5,000 feet or what they figure is 65db.

The FAA spent a lot of time in years past to try to ensure they were routing planes only over poor neighbourhoods in response to these types of complaints. They seem less likely to do that now. Its just an impossible bureaucratic task to try to coordinate flights over thousands of little towns and hamlets. So they seem focus on aircraft below 5,000 feet near an airport.

-Robert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aircraft, jets, noise, flightpath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users