S&g Carpet And More

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

I keep hearing rave reviews about this place (& I may soon be in need of flooring)....

anyone here used this business? And how does it compare to the local mega-chains?

I did check Costco & found out that their laminate is from China. I'm not really interested in China-made building materials. Tainted toothpaste is one thing, but drywall... No, not sure if I want flooring either from a county known for tainted materials.

What other businesses are good (for flooring)?

Thanks

http://www.sgcarpet.com/

#2 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

We used them. They provided excellent service at sales and at installation. I thought their prices were good, although we were too busy to shop around too aggressively.

#3 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

Call Todd Dobbins. When he did our install, he helped us use his contacts and we got our wood for 1/2 the price of S&G.

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

We always use Dave from Cameo Flooring in Orangevale. He used to own a huge store in Sacramento and has now paired it down to a smaller space in Orangevale. He has done it all for us over the years. His work is meticulous, he goes over and beyond what's necessary. His prices are right in line with S & G and you can count on him. I had priced new carpet with S & G and then talked to Dave. He pointed out that they were selling me a cheaper material that feels soft to the touch, but he pointed out that it wouldn't stand up over time and would be much harder to clean. He said the bigger companies always try to sell you nylon versus better, stronger materials. He was right and I ended up going with him on that too. I won't use anyone else now.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Call Todd Dobbins. When he did our install, he helped us use his contacts and we got our wood for 1/2 the price of S&G.

We always use Dave from Cameo Flooring in Orangevale.

Thank you both for your responses, I will check them out.

#6 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

I keep hearing rave reviews about this place (& I may soon be in need of flooring)....

anyone here used this business? And how does it compare to the local mega-chains?

I did check Costco & found out that their laminate is from China. I'm not really interested in China-made building materials. Tainted toothpaste is one thing, but drywall... No, not sure if I want flooring either from a county known for tainted materials.

What other businesses are good (for flooring)?

Thanks

http://www.sgcarpet.com/

S&G is the Mercedes of floor covering. My friend was in the business and he always advised going with S&G because of their expertise, products, and guarantees. They do it right according to him.

#7 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

I visited S&G over the weekend. They provide great customer service. A rep practically met me at the door, and walked me through the differences between the major product lines - hardwood, laminate, vinyl, carpet & tile. They've got vinyl tiles out now that look a lot like real tile, but not as hard! I went home with a bunch of samples, and a packet of info, with fact sheets on all the products (that I could use to interview other companies), and including a comprehesive listing of all the manufacturer waranties. For warantees, the list includes installation, stain resistance, wear, quality assurance, & texture.

Are all these waranties the standard operating procedure for all companies???

They also have something called "total satisfaction guaranteed", so if you have carpet installed, and you don't like it for any reason, within a specified time period, they will replace the product free of charge with the customer only being responsible for the installation costs. This is a one-time replacement guarantee.

I'm blown away by the overwhelming selections out there in the marketplace. For example, in carpet, they are now making it out of recycled plastic bottles (PET, polyethyleneterathalate) & it doesn't even feel scratchy. Of course, I didn't like it nearly as much as the nylon. They told me about the other materials - olefin & wool. It sounds like PET is the most common & of course is cheapest in cost. And we talked about carpet construction - plush, textured plush, frieze (reminds me a lot of the old shag but shorter), cable, level loop & berber (which has apparently fallen out of favor).

I did see a big sign in the store that said they will beat any written estimate by 10%. The afternoon was really quite informative, but until I can get an estimate, then I can not begin to make comparisons.

#8 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

I just want to follow up on this. I finally did decide to use S&G Carpets, and I am so happy that I did. My floors look fantastic!! I chose a "Burma Teak" laminate, that everyone thinks is real hardwood. It's beautiful and accents my cabinets perfectly. I also used a luxury vinyl tile from Armstrong. It looks like the real thing, but is so much easier to care for & is "softer" on my joints. Love, love it! And I got a looped berber style carpet. Love it too!

The service was fantastic also. It was above & beyond. Everyone at S&G made the process enjoyable and fun, even though I was initially overwhelmed with all the choices. I worked really closely with Kristina & Myrgo to coordinate colors, and I was able to take home samples (large 8x11 & bigger, not 4x4 inches), and keep them through installation to make sure they really matched the paint, too.

Once the install was done, and I had a concern about 2 finishing strips on the laminate, I was referred over to Steve, the Customer Service Manager. Talk about a guy who knows how to work with the public, he does. :D: He actually came out to my place to see & discuss my concerns. We talked flooring & care of, for about an hour. He clearly enjoyed what he was doing, and we did get a little off the subject. He plays drums in a rock & roll band (he must be in his 60's)! And he was telling me "war" stories about the business.

Within a week, the installer was back, and did 4 little touch ups to the pieces in question, basically customized the ends, and everyone (including Steve) likes it so much, that they are going to start doing it on all their laminate installs. Oh yea, the installer was great too. He brought along his son, and we had a lot of fun talking before he actually did his work (turns out I supported "dad's" position regarding college & jobs, and I didn't even know dad).

Now, that's EXCELLENT customer service! Woo hoo for S&G :2thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users