22 replies to this topic

#1 energysaver

energysaver

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

I peeked in the window of the new (still unoccupied) retail spaces at Glenn and Sibley and saw the corner location the one with plywood in windows -it had a huge deli looking glass case -like the kind they serve pasta salads or pre made sandwiches or even muffins so I am hoping its a food or coffee shop going in! BTW.... whats going on with the little housing develop kittycorner, hey I know real estate is slow but that project is taking a ridiculously long time to build or whats going on there???? Not that I am in a hurry for more homes in the area, just curious..anyone?

#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(energysaver @ Aug 8 2008, 10:38 PM) View Post
I peeked in the window of the new (still unoccupied) retail spaces at Glenn and Sibley and saw the corner location the one with plywood in windows -it had a huge deli looking glass case -like the kind they serve pasta salads or pre made sandwiches or even muffins so I am hoping its a food or coffee shop going in! BTW.... whats going on with the little housing develop kittycorner, hey I know real estate is slow but that project is taking a ridiculously long time to build or whats going on there???? Not that I am in a hurry for more homes in the area, just curious..anyone?

That housing development is bankrupt. It was discussed here but finding that thread would be tough. And any business that tries to make it at that corner will surely go under as well, that's a horrible location to open a deli or anything else for that matter.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Aug 8 2008, 11:00 PM) View Post
That housing development is bankrupt. It was discussed here but finding that thread would be tough. And any business that tries to make it at that corner will surely go under as well, that's a horrible location to open a deli or anything else for that matter.

The deli will soon be having new customers down the road if it can stay open long enough. The planning commission was looking at approving an 86-unit three-story apartment project at 1150 Sibley St. across from Levy Road. Plus, they'll have all the light rail customers.

Which reminds me. There's still no friggin' sidewalk in front of the mosque site. My dog hurt her foot on one of the spikes that's supposed to hold that netting stuff down over the dirt and weeds. We're into yet another year of school starting and no sidewalk for students to use.

#4 CaptainSpaulding71

CaptainSpaulding71

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

if they put in apartments across the street from the mosque and indeed if the mosque gets built, that will put a huge burden on the traffic on sibley. especially since right near that area is where the road goes from two lanes down to one.

i strongly feel that they need to widen the road to 4 lanes total AND install a traffic light at levy. Also, they need to put sufficient sidewalks in so that kids don't have to walk in the street on the way home - this is accident waiting to happen.

it's a shame they can't develop a bit of the land just south of folsom boulevard and glenn - this would be excellent location for apartments due to its proximity to light rail station. but i guess this is historical site or something. all i see is tons of river rock just sitting there. wasted space IMO. plus those trees on that stretch smell like a full cat box.

is there any statute dictating that something 'has' to get built on the mosque site? that is, if nothing gets built for a number of months, could it be classified as an eyesore and something done? could it be bought and put to better use...actually any use?

#5 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (CaptainSpaulding71 @ Aug 10 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if they put in apartments across the street from the mosque and indeed if the mosque gets built, that will put a huge burden on the traffic on sibley. especially since right near that area is where the road goes from two lanes down to one.

i strongly feel that they need to widen the road to 4 lanes total AND install a traffic light at levy. Also, they need to put sufficient sidewalks in so that kids don't have to walk in the street on the way home - this is accident waiting to happen.

it's a shame they can't develop a bit of the land just south of folsom boulevard and glenn - this would be excellent location for apartments due to its proximity to light rail station. but i guess this is historical site or something. all i see is tons of river rock just sitting there. wasted space IMO. plus those trees on that stretch smell like a full cat box.

is there any statute dictating that something 'has' to get built on the mosque site? that is, if nothing gets built for a number of months, could it be classified as an eyesore and something done? could it be bought and put to better use...actually any use?

The Mosque site's permit has expired. They had two years to start development of the site, and started moving dirt about a month before it expired. I doubt that they have the money to do anything. At this point there's no way to force them to do anything although they can be required to cut the weeds and correct any dangerous elements of the property. They'll have to go to community development again to get another permit.

#6 waterbug

waterbug

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Terry @ Jul 17 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mosque site's permit has expired. They had two years to start development of the site, and started moving dirt about a month before it expired. I doubt that they have the money to do anything. At this point there's no way to force them to do anything although they can be required to cut the weeds and correct any dangerous elements of the property. They'll have to go to community development again to get another permit.

on sibley between glenn and lembi did anyone else see and hear all the folsom police cars and officers on friday night just after midnight until ??? officers had their guns drawn, hoping fences with the german sheppard.............it went on for hours

#7 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (waterbug @ Jul 19 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
on sibley between glenn and lembi did anyone else see and hear all the folsom police cars and officers on friday night just after midnight until ??? officers had their guns drawn, hoping fences with the german sheppard.............it went on for hours

Check the police logs in a few days. They might mention something.
http://www.folsom.ca...log/default.asp

7/18/2009
Pursuit
1000 Block Sibley Street
Driver and passenger of suspect vehicle fled on foot after a short pursuit.

There ya go!

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

I'm not sure if anyone knows which governmental entity [city - state prison - county] was responsible for the clean-up of the weeds at the abandoned housing development on the corner of Glenn & Sibley and the seemingly abandoned mosque site down the road, but thanks. It's much better! smile.gif

#9 mgguy

mgguy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (waterbug @ Jul 19 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might have had something to do with the eradication of a large batch of marijuana plants found growing in the public forrest area nearby. This was covered on the local TV news this morning.

Edit: Sorry, but your post occurred before this, so it couldn't be the same thing. My bad.

Edited by mgguy, 31 July 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#10 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (energysaver @ Aug 8 2008, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have a grand opening sign up now. I walked over there tonight, after hours. They advertise halal meat (chicken, lamb, beef, goat, hand butchered daily). And seem to have many American snack foods. I saw Pringles, Fritoes, and Hagen Das through the window, as well as "ethnic" looking cookies and treats. It is a well lit and non-cramped store, as far as I could tell from the window. (Sometimes I think the ethnic shops around here are so jammed packed with stuff, I get uncomfortable shopping there)

#11 girlnextdoor

girlnextdoor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

We went in yesterday and met the owners. They seemed very friendly and eager to chat. The meat counter was stocked with great looking meats, pretty good prices too. The owner said they're going to open a deli counter in the next couple of weeks with sandwiches and pastries. It seemed like they had a variety of American and ethnic snack foods and a good selection of ethnic cooking ingredients. I think we'll go back to check out the deli.

#12 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (MrsTuffPaws @ Aug 1 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have a grand opening sign up now. I walked over there tonight, after hours. They advertise halal meat (chicken, lamb, beef, goat, hand butchered daily). And seem to have many American snack foods. I saw Pringles, Fritoes, and Hagen Das through the window, as well as "ethnic" looking cookies and treats. It is a well lit and non-cramped store, as far as I could tell from the window. (Sometimes I think the ethnic shops around here are so jammed packed with stuff, I get uncomfortable shopping there)

halal=Muslum=very scary to many people in Folsom

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (the_professor @ Aug 13 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
halal=Muslum=very scary to many people in Folsom

It is not. It's not much different from Kosher.

And who appointed your spokesprofessor for Folsom people?

#14 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Aug 13 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is not. It's not much different from Kosher.

And who appointed your spokesprofessor for Folsom people?

Yes it is. Look back at the uproar over the mosque. I appointed myself. I'm the decider!

#15 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

The problem with the mosque was mainly the parking situation, and architectural concerns. I would be very sad if most people are afraid of Muslims in Folsom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users