• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

I am new to this area. Where I lived before, we had no frogs. Is it normal for all the frogs within earshot to start croaking in unison -- sounds like dozens of them -- and then suddenly they all stop like someone turned off a switch? What's that all about?

Anyone??
Pari

#2 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

It isn't frogs you are hearing. It's crickets. You must not be a very good joke teller.

#3 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

We live in the Parkway and I had assumed they were frogs also, because the noise seems to come around the same time of year when we get tons of small frogs around our house, but I couldn't tell from the noise if it was crickets or frogs.

#4 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

We have frogs. There are crickets mixed in, but they are frogs.

eta: Also, aren't there more frogs in the spring and crickets in late summer/fall?

#5 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:45 AM

There are frogs here - I unfortunately had to slay one the other day because it kept us up for two nights in a row.

After doing some research, I think the tiny Puerto Rican El Coqui frog is in the area. This frog croaks all night non stop until dawn, and its croaks can be well in excess 90 decibels, which is the same noise level as a kitchen blender.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

I love the sound of the frogs and there are plenty of them right now. I have some in my pond and others around calling to them. It's the mating season. They have excellent hearing and if you step outside, open a door, anything at all, they think you're a predator and they all become immediately silent.

We are really lucky to live in an environment healthy enough to support frogs. These little amphibians are very delicate, delicate skin, and if they're healthy, the environment is too. When you hear them, be happy because they are the sound of spring and a good indicator of our natural enviroment.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 14 2007, 07:45 AM) View Post
I unfortunately had to slay one the other day because it kept us up for two nights in a row.

That's messed up poor little froggie, whats next on the slay list dogs and kids? ohmy.gif

#8 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Sonny @ Mar 14 2007, 10:29 AM) View Post
That's messed up poor little froggie, whats next on the slay list dogs and kids? ohmy.gif

Yeah, if there is either right outside my bedroom making noise as loud as a blender non-stop for 10 hours - it's going to die too.

#9 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 14 2007, 07:45 AM) View Post
There are frogs here - I unfortunately had to slay one the other day because it kept us up for two nights in a row.

That's okay, as long as it's for the good of the country.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#10 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

Tons of froggies in North Folsom! I missed them when we were living elsewhere, but the weather has been so nice lately, with the mosquito free evening walks and the crickets and frogs chirping away, it's been beautiful!

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#11 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

if you have a real frog problem you could reach out and make contact with the soft bb folks and give them a contract on the noisy frogs. it would be a win win as the croaking would stop and for a while the kids would have safe targets.

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(old soldier @ Mar 14 2007, 01:19 PM) View Post
if you have a real frog problem you could reach out and make contact with the soft bb folks and give them a contract on the noisy frogs. it would be a win win as the croaking would stop and for a while the kids would have safe targets.

sometimes I'm ashamed in live in this town. people moved here for the natural environment. then they kill harmless critters without even thinking about it. even teach their kids to. sheesh.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#13 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Mar 14 2007, 03:11 PM) View Post
sometimes I'm ashamed in live in this town. people moved here for the natural environment. then they kill harmless critters without even thinking about it. even teach their kids to. sheesh.

The frog in my yard, the El Coqui, is not native. It is a native of Puerto Rico. Hawaii is having enormous problems with this invasive, destructive and loud species.

http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=10863

#14 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

we don't really know enough about frogs..they may have ways of communicating...you whack a few and the word would go out via frog telegraph to only croak during the day.

#15 aeropuppy

aeropuppy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

isn't jennifer lopez puerto rican?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users