179 replies to this topic

#16 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Apr 16 2008, 05:14 PM) View Post
Doesn't CC have a policy to meet or beat the best price on the same thing? They used to allow you to bring in an ad for same item at lower price and they'd promise to match or beat it.

I can vouch that Best Buy does that, we've used it a few times using Fryes ads for the price matching

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

There's a sign just inside the entrance of Best Buy that also claims it matches prices.

However, the caveat is that manufuctures will produce the same product but have different model numbers for different stores. This will allow stores to get away without having to price match becasue they aren't the same items.

#18 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Apr 16 2008, 05:25 PM) View Post
I can vouch that Best Buy does that, we've used it a few times using Fryes ads for the price matching

I never thought of that. I saw some good prices for video games but didn't feel it justified the cost of gas and time it took to get all the way out to Northgate.

+1 rep for you.

#19 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(DalOwnerX3 @ Apr 16 2008, 04:26 PM) View Post
There's a sign just inside the entrance of Best Buy that also claims it matches prices.

However, the caveat is that manufuctures will produce the same product but have different model numbers for different stores. This will allow stores to get away without having to price match becasue they aren't the same items.

Yep, a totally deceiving policy. All the Samsung TVs at Costco end with a -C. At Best Buy it's a -BB, etc. You'll never match the model so no price matching.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#20 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Apr 16 2008, 05:29 PM) View Post
Yep, a totally deceiving policy. All the Samsung TVs at Costco end with a -C. At Best Buy it's a -BB, etc. You'll never match the model so no price matching.

Good to find this out (didn't know) I've only done the price matching on movies and music.... for the tv's and such I go directly to Costco

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#21 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Apr 16 2008, 04:32 PM) View Post
Good to find this out (didn't know) I've only done the price matching on movies and music.... for the tv's and such I go directly to Costco

My example above was just that, the letters I quoted may not be correct but they will have different model numbers just the same.

#22 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(stangage70 @ Apr 14 2008, 01:12 PM) View Post
Not to support CC, but Best Buy is has not been what I consider the benchmark of products, prices, or service. Am I missing something? I see limited selection, MSRP like prices, and technically limited sales staff.
I have purchased from both in the past year, however got more from CC than BB due to product selection and price advantages.
Costco does have some decent flat panel options.

I like competition. I hope both can survive and thrive while giving good value to their customers.

And if one of them goes belly up, we all can partake in the going out of business sale.

#23 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Was in the Circuit City store in CH...it was so darn empty - maybe they are winding down in preparation for the one in Folsom???? Anybody heard anything?

#24 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

On the costco/sams club vs best buy/circuit city end of things on electronics...

The flat panel tv's etc at sams and costco are NOT the same tv's in most cases that are at best buy and circuit city. They are they same size, brand etc but when you look up the EXACT model # on the manafactures website you will typically find the same looking tv but with a different model # then the norm.

Say you call Sharp and ask them why costco has this weird model # and great price... the first person to answer the phone has no idea. Ask for a supervisor... and you will learn that they are building tv's especially for costco or sams and they have cheaper components and less features etc. They are NOT the latest and greatest technology or durable product that some think they are buying. OR in many other cases they sell the discontinued/or about to be discontinued products.

Like when apple switched to intel.... guess who started selling the non-intel apples? etc etc etc.

HOWEVER, for some people they might care less and I can respect that. If you are finally upgrading to widescreen from your 15 year old 25 inch... then this is a cheap way to get a tv that is undoubtably better then the one you have. But if you are thinking that your are getting a Sharp Aquos top of the line tv for cheaper then CC or Best Buy... your mistaken unfortunately.

As for Best Buy and CC... I don't plan on going to CC when it opens much. I really only go to those places for dvd's but they are to expensive in comparison to other ways available. Plus I don't like that I typically know more about electronics then the people working their to "help me". (don't take offense... its not everyone, just alot I've come across)
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#25 webuser

webuser

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

I think they are going to close in less than a year.

http://news.cnet.com...0071053-17.html

#26 Phonon

Phonon

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:hike camp kayak bike sleep

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(webuser @ Oct 20 2008, 10:51 PM) View Post
I think they are going to close in less than a year.

http://news.cnet.com...0071053-17.html

Dude looks like and ex-CC employee.

CC isn't going to last. Stock is down 92% YTD.
http://finance.googl...&...E:CC&ntsp=0

#27 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Phonon @ Oct 21 2008, 03:31 PM) View Post
Dude looks like and ex-CC employee.

CC isn't going to last. Stock is down 92% YTD.
http://finance.googl...&...E:CC&ntsp=0

It and every other stock.

#28 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Oct 21 2008, 04:40 PM) View Post
It and every other stock.

The new store looks like crap.

Service was horrible.

I dislike Best Buy because their prices are horrible.

I'll stick with Fry's or online.

The only thing Best Buy or Circuit City have ever been good for were getting free stuff when their products crapped out and I had the extended warranties and got replacements.

#29 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Only thing I don't like about fry's is that its really easy to accidently bring home a refurb. They have ALOT of them...

Circuit City is always good for tv sales on black friday... thousands of dollars off.

Best buy should rethink their name. Except for somehow I managed to walk out of their with the brand new metallica album for $4.99 smile.gif
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#30 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

@JLS - I agree. CC and BB are only good for sale items and of course Black Friday. 2 M HDMI cable at CC is $34.99 to $95 vs. $1.54-$76 at Amazon

CC is so sparsely stocked I don't see why they didn't delay or cancel the project before building or opening it. On the plus side, I thought the service was fine although as an IT guy (and self diagnosed gadget geek) there isn't much they can tell me that I don't already know. If someone needs a CC floor sales rep to assist and answer questions you certainly don't need to wait because the few times I was there to snag a few $5-14 DVDs there aren't many customers.

That said, would rather see the store fill up with product and see a full parking lot because then it would mean this economy is no longer in the toilet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users