4 replies to this topic

#1 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Is this normal? I counted 4 lizards on my porch yesterday. They were a mottled spotted green blue black blend variety that ranged in sizes from 2inches long to a 6 inches long. Then there were 2 that looked sort of a pale orange/or flesh color. They were all short about 2-3 inches long and kept their heads up even when they moved.

These lizards were super fast.

I wonder what type of lizards they are. My son called the spotted ones alligator lizards-though I've never heard of that before.

I know we lived in a pretty wooded area and I am constantly on the look out for snakes-last year was really bad-but my neighbors said they had scorpions in their house last year.

Uh-yuck. (my flesh is crawling now).

#2 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Apr 30 2007, 07:36 AM) View Post
Is this normal? I counted 4 lizards on my porch yesterday. They were a mottled spotted green blue black blend variety that ranged in sizes from 2inches long to a 6 inches long. Then there were 2 that looked sort of a pale orange/or flesh color. They were all short about 2-3 inches long and kept their heads up even when they moved.

These lizards were super fast.

I wonder what type of lizards they are. My son called the spotted ones alligator lizards-though I've never heard of that before.

I know we lived in a pretty wooded area and I am constantly on the look out for snakes-last year was really bad-but my neighbors said they had scorpions in their house last year.

Uh-yuck. (my flesh is crawling now).

By far, the most common type of lizards in this area are the western fence lizard, also known as "bluebelly lizard". That sounds like what you described for the first four. Here's a link to a descriptor page

http://www.laspilita...nce_Lizards.htm

Alligator lizards are normally larger, brown, and have a fairly large mouth
pic: http://www.laspilita...ator_lizard.jpg

without more information, the organgy ones sound like maybe a western whiptail.

http://www.laspilita...rn_Whiptail.htm

Posted Image

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(vlogix @ Apr 30 2007, 09:45 AM) View Post
By far, the most common type of lizards in this area are the western fence lizard, also known as "bluebelly lizard". That sounds like what you described for the first four. Here's a link to a descriptor page

http://www.laspilita...nce_Lizards.htm

Alligator lizards are normally larger, brown, and have a fairly large mouth
pic: http://www.laspilita...ator_lizard.jpg

without more information, the organgy ones sound like maybe a western whiptail.

http://www.laspilita...rn_Whiptail.htm

That's great info! The first reference is certainly the 4 lizards I saw. I don't think the whiptail was the other type I saw. The other one had no markings on it. But then maybe it was just very young. It makes sense they eat spiders and stuff. The spiders and mosquitoes were really out this weekend. They must have been feeding quite well. I killed two big black spiders in my entranceway this week end. They looked like black widows and I wasn't about to get close enough to find out so I threw a shoe at 'em.

One of the blue bellies had me laughing yesterday. I have a cover over my bar-b-que. The bar-b-que- is taller than the fence. That blue belly got on top of the bar-b-que and sat there looking around around for quite some time. I could have reached out and touched him if I wanted to - he was so close. I was surprised at how unthreatened they were with me constantly going in and out of the porch(we are still unpacking from our move).

I hope they eat all the buggies.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Apr 30 2007, 10:02 AM) View Post
One of the blue bellies had me laughing yesterday. I have a cover over my bar-b-que. The bar-b-que- is taller than the fence. That blue belly got on top of the bar-b-que and sat there looking around around for quite some time. I could have reached out and touched him if I wanted to - he was so close. I was surprised at how unthreatened they were with me constantly going in and out of the porch(we are still unpacking from our move).

I hope they eat all the buggies.

Wait til lyou see them doing push ups - now that is funny ...
We have LOTS of them in our yards as well- They are one of the good guys in the garden...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Apr 30 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post
Wait til lyou see them doing push ups - now that is funny ...
We have LOTS of them in our yards as well- They are one of the good guys in the garden...

Cheers
F500

Ya, they certainly are hams.
Most lizards are goodguys. Just don't get bitten by an alligator lizard if you can help it. They hurt! Other than that... bluebellies make great pets if you are into reptiles.

We're not. Our rule of thumb for pets is, if it has a tail, the tail must have hair on it. So that excludes reptiles, amphibians, rodents, etc. We make exceptions from time to time on fish. And, I wouldn't mind having some lovebirds or small parrots in the back yard... but cage cleaning is enough work to make me reconsider every time I go down that road smile.gif

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users