• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping & gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Does anybody know why there are flowers placed next to the waterfall at the entrance to ARC north area? Seems as though somebody may have died there, but I've heard nothing about it. Also, the falls have been turned off for days or weeks!
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(FolsomFrogGuy @ Nov 19 2007, 02:35 PM) View Post
Does anybody know why there are flowers placed next to the waterfall at the entrance to ARC north area? Seems as though somebody may have died there, but I've heard nothing about it. Also, the falls have been turned off for days or weeks!

From what I hear-
A gentleman committed suicide by motorcycle there last Saturday - took his helmet off - and put his wallet , cell phone and other in it on the side of the road and then went full speed a head into the waterfall wall. Had a wife and two kids...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 billcoff

billcoff

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(FolsomFrogGuy @ Nov 19 2007, 03:35 PM) View Post

There are signs posted that maintenance is being performed and the water will be turned back on in late November.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE(FolsomFrogGuy @ Nov 19 2007, 02:35 PM) View Post

It's a memorial for someone who committed suicide there last week

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 21 2007, 07:21 AM) View Post
It's a memorial for someone who committed suicide there last week

Strange place to do that...
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#6 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping & gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Nov 19 2007, 04:34 PM) View Post
From what I hear-
A gentleman committed suicide by motorcycle there last Saturday - took his helmet off - and put his wallet , cell phone and other in it on the side of the road and then went full speed a head into the waterfall wall. Had a wife and two kids...

Geez.....
10,023; Down 29%

#7 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Nov 19 2007, 04:34 PM) View Post
From what I hear-

We saw that the area was closed off on 11/10, but the police log and papers had no information on what happened.

#8 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

Ya, know...slightly off topic here....but my kids came home and told me about this incident--before I heard about it from anyone else.

Kinda surprised me.

However, in the last few days, it seems the kids have been having very different reactions to this knowledge. The knowledge itself seems to have been an eye opener for one---but for the other kid I am seeing a very disturbed reaction.

I think I'm missing a vital and (instinctive?) resource in how to communicate to my kid what suicide is--why it's bad and how it affects everyone.

In one course of an entirely unrelated conversation he pops up with a joke he thinks is funny ( not so) then a few minutes later he pops up again with the subject and angrily announces the person must have been insane, sad, angry ---something.

Anyone got some good loaded replies appropriate for a 9 year old on the discussion?

#9 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Nov 26 2007, 05:13 PM) View Post
Ya, know...slightly off topic here....but my kids came home and told me about this incident--before I heard about it from anyone else.

Kinda surprised me.

However, in the last few days, it seems the kids have been having very different reactions to this knowledge. The knowledge itself seems to have been an eye opener for one---but for the other kid I am seeing a very disturbed reaction.

I think I'm missing a vital and (instinctive?) resource in how to communicate to my kid what suicide is--why it's bad and how it affects everyone.

In one course of an entirely unrelated conversation he pops up with a joke he thinks is funny ( not so) then a few minutes later he pops up again with the subject and angrily announces the person must have been insane, sad, angry ---something.

Anyone got some good loaded replies appropriate for a 9 year old on the discussion?

Explain that people who commit suicide or attempt to commit suicide are really hurting and don't ask for help to stop hurting. It would be like having a disease and not going to the doctor. You need to cultivate compassion in your 9-year-old for mental diseases.

#10 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(billcoff @ Nov 21 2007, 05:42 AM) View Post
There are signs posted that maintenance is being performed and the water will be turned back on in late November.

The waterfall pump failed before this ever happened.
However, I hope they hurry up and fix it because the dry falls probably enticed the man to choose that particular location.
The water being off there has attracted a lot of negativity. Someone sprayed some graffiti on the dry rocks then this guy crashed his motorcycle into the rocks.

I bet neither would have happened if the waterfall was repaired in a timely manner.
Both of these incidents happened within days of the waterfall being turned off.
Each incident in the days after the water was turned off is worse than the last. What is going to be next tragedy?

The waterfall pump has failed many times before, but this is by far the longest they have ever taken to repair it. They should just pay someone a maintenance fee to fix it for a flat rate so it gets repaired quickly.
That whole scene with the memorial at the busted waterfall is probably making it slightly more difficult than it already would be to sell homes in this housing sales downturn and dropping their property values even more.

#11 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(resident @ Nov 29 2007, 07:12 PM) View Post
The waterfall pump failed before this ever happened.
However, I hope they hurry up and fix it because the dry falls probably enticed the man to choose that particular location.
The water being off there has attracted a lot of negativity. Someone sprayed some graffiti on the dry rocks then this guy crashed his motorcycle into the rocks.

I bet neither would have happened if the waterfall was repaired in a timely manner.
Both of these incidents happened within days of the waterfall being turned off.
Each incident in the days after the water was turned off is worse than the last. What is going to be next tragedy?

The waterfall pump has failed many times before, but this is by far the longest they have ever taken to repair it. They should just pay someone a maintenance fee to fix it for a flat rate so it gets repaired quickly.
That whole scene with the memorial at the busted waterfall is probably making it slightly more difficult than it already would be to sell homes in this housing sales downturn and dropping their property values even more.

Getting it running again would definitely let everyone move forward following this incident. I wonder if the family lives in the neighborhood, and couldn't imagine driving past that distinctive location, if I were in their shoes. I'm sure this isn't new for such an experience...

10,023; Down 29%

#12 _john_doe_

_john_doe_

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

The family lives in Orangevale.

What work I have done I have done because it has been play. If it had been work I shouldn't have done it. Who was it who said, "Blessed is the man who has found his work"? Whoever it was he had the right idea in his mind. Mark you, he says his work--not somebody else's work. The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all. Cursed is the man who has found some other man's work and cannot lose it. When we talk about the great workers of the world we really mean the great players of the world. The fellows who groan and sweat under the weary load of toil that they bear never can hope to do anything great. How can they when their souls are in a ferment of revolt against the employment of their hands and brains? The product of slavery, intellectual or physical, can never be great.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users