#31 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Feb 3 2006, 06:03 PM) View Post

For me that's an example of a movie where I saw it when it opened, almost by accident, and hadn't heard a thing about it. So I thought, "okay that was kind of cute - it was a little long but the thing with splicing in historical footage was a nice gimmick and the war scenes were well done". I didn't think anything about it and then about a week later, every moron and his brother is walking around saying "life is like a box of chocolate" and "stupid is as stupid does" and talking about what an amazing movie it was and how Tom Hanks should get an Oscar (this was back when all you had to do get a best actor Oscar was to play a retarded guy). I was thinking "well, it wasn't *that* great".

If I had seen it after the hype I would have been really disappointed.

I couldn't believe that it won best film over Shawshank Redemption (one of my favorite movies of all times) or Quiz Show. I think I would have even picked Four Weddings and a Funeral over Gump!

QUOTE(stevethedad @ Feb 3 2006, 05:58 PM) View Post

What????

That movie was stupid genius!

I recommend you give it another try, and wallow in it's sheer stupidity. Awesome!

I've tried that and I never love it. I was so dissapointed, it's the kind of movie I would usually love. My most recent favorite stupid movie is Dodgeball.

#32 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 4 2006, 11:25 AM) View Post

My most recent favorite stupid movie is Dodgeball.

As long as you don't besmirch the name of Patches O'Hoolihan, we're cool.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#33 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Feb 3 2006, 10:41 AM) View Post

"Dude, Where's My Car"

Vomitously bad!

Ok, Guys!

There are movies you EXPECT to be bad--aka, all those "sequels" to low-class movies; and then there are all those "critically acclaimed," big-budget "films" that just FLOOR you at how awful they are!

Some examples?

"Lost in Translation," "Being John Malcovich," "Insomnia," and "Hanging Up!," to name a few. Does anyone here really want to spend $9.50 to watch grass grow?
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

Oooh.. I loved lost in translation. I think you perhaps got lost in the translation.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#35 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

Top this!

The one movie I've seen that I would give the ultimate award for being the WORST EVER is.....drum roll, please...

"Naked Lunch," which starred Peter Weller (of "RoboCop" fame).

I think everyone involved with both the writing of, and the making of, this film HAD to have been on some SERIOUSLY hallucinagenic drugs!
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#36 TheCourtJester

TheCourtJester

OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

Titanic.

Napoleon Dynamite (Seen it multiple times...every time because someone convinced me "it's funnier after the first time you see it). No, give a couple of morons in a high school Video Production class (the ones that make "skater movies) some extra time, a camera, and a little weed, and you have ANOTHER napoleon dynamite.

Dodgeball, anchorman, Starsky and Hutch, Along came polly, Zoolander. Heck, I'll shorten it to "anything with Ben Stiller in it." I don't like WIll Farell, either. I wouldn't dislike 'em so much if 1) I haven't inadvertently seen SO MUCH of them...I mean seriously, they're in everything. and 2) They didn't play the SAME STUPID CHARACTER in EVERY movie.

Most movies involving Quentin Tarantino.

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

#37 Folsom4Now

Folsom4Now

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family, reading, many other things.

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Feb 3 2006, 07:39 AM) View Post

It's got be very bad sequels: Caddyshack II, Cannonball Run II, Slap Shot II.

For me, it looks like sequels to entertaining comedies w/ a sports slant.

Sequels are always usually bad but "My Boyfriends Back" and the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" movies were the worst ever!
"I love when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, one spirit" -Khalil Gilbran

#38 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Folsom4Now @ Feb 5 2006, 03:11 PM) View Post

Sequels are always usually bad but "My Boyfriends Back" and the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" movies were the worst ever!

Buffy is strange. The movie was mediocre but they somehow turned it into a successful TV series a few years later. Who knew? Usually it's the other way around ("My Big Fat Greek Crappy TV Show" comes to mind). Aside from Buffy, the only other example I can think of where a TV series based on a movie lasted more than a year was M*A*S*H* (not that the original M*A*S*H* movie was a bad movie).

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#39 hotdogface

hotdogface

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

WHEN A STRANGER CALLS!!!! - absolutly stupid. perfect example of the "corny scary movie"

#40 windie

windie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ Feb 3 2006, 12:40 PM) View Post

Moulin Rouge! We stopped watching after 20 minutes.

Anyone else feel the same? Maybe I have no taste!

You made it five minutes longer than we did! We thought it was awful.....

TEAM EFFORT: A lot of people doing what I say.

#41 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:36 AM

I think this turned into a Best Films of All Time thread!?

#42 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(windie @ Feb 5 2006, 09:57 PM) View Post

You made it five minutes longer than we did! We thought it was awful.....

I agree. I watched about 15 minutes and had a headache. And after Gump I wanted my money back. But I am a tough critic when it comes to movies.

#43 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Gina99 @ Feb 6 2006, 09:03 AM) View Post

I agree. I watched about 15 minutes and had a headache. And after Gump I wanted my money back. But I am a tough critic when it comes to movies.

Same here. I assume the Nicole Kidman character died but we never stuck around to find out. Movie Rule # 24 is that if a character has a cough at the beginning of the movie, by the end of the movie they will have died of tuburculosis in Ewan MacGregor's arms (or blown into tiny chunks *by* Ewan MacGregor in the case of General Greivous... but I digress)
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#44 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(bishmasterb @ Feb 6 2006, 07:36 AM) View Post

I think this turned into a Best Films of All Time thread!?

Haha.. funny how peoples tastes can be so different.

Whenever I'm watching a REALLY bad movie, or hear a REALLY bad song, I can't help but think.. "Wow, this is somebody's _favorite_ song, how sad"
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#45 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Dukes of Hazzard

Napoleon Dynomite

Barb Wire (#1 all time stinker movie)

Dogtown and Z-boys