8 replies to this topic

#1 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

Given the fact that the Railyard in downtown Sac probably will be redeveloped soon, I decided to get some photos before its gone. Being a nostalgia buff, it was very exciting taking these, and I just wanted to share. Click on the link, then select slideshow on the upper right side.

http://tinyurl.com/yln2s9

I also did a shoot around downtown

http://tinyurl.com/y9srb8

Enjoy.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#2 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

awesome job. Can you just walk around down there at the rail yards?

#3 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jan 1 2007, 10:06 PM) View Post
awesome job. Can you just walk around down there at the rail yards?

The short answer to that is probably no, however the gate off Jibboom St. was open, and it was a holiday. There did seem to be a total absence of anyone working in an official capacity. I did come across a few other sightseers, and of course we were causing no harm. I'm sure its a gray area, and approached it as such. It was a bit of a thrill though.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

nice shots... great to get those before it's all torn down. I hope they can atleast preserve a few of the bigger buildings in some capacity. America has a tendency to just tear down its history and buid a Jamba Juice over it.

#5 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(john @ Jan 1 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post
nice shots... great to get those before it's all torn down. I hope they can atleast preserve a few of the bigger buildings in some capacity. America has a tendency to just tear down its history and buid a Jamba Juice over it.

I really enjoyed both series. Thanks.

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(Silverado @ Jan 1 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
Given the fact that the Railyard in downtown Sac probably will be redeveloped soon, I decided to get some photos before its gone. Being a nostalgia buff, it was very exciting taking these, and I just wanted to share. Click on the link, then select slideshow on the upper right side.

http://tinyurl.com/yln2s9

I also did a shoot around downtown

http://tinyurl.com/y9srb8

Enjoy.

Thats a bummer, that such a historically significant area is going to be leveled, too bad there couldn't be a way to design the new area to incorporate those old bldgs.

Those are some fantastic photos! Very well done!

CV asked the same question I was going to ask...... thats neat that you were able to get in there and get those shots, nice lighting too.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#7 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(john @ Jan 1 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post

Great pics Silverado. Yeah - I was also wondering if there would be any effort to retrofit some of those old buildings for new tenants (a la the winery on Hazel where Old Spaghetti Factory and Garbeau's is).

They're very cool looking, but they may be too far gone structurally to save for all I know.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#8 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

Nice composition. Thanks for sharing and documenting for us all.
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jan 2 2007, 07:16 AM) View Post
Thats a bummer, that such a historically significant area is going to be leveled, too bad there couldn't be a way to design the new area to incorporate those old bldgs.

Those are some fantastic photos! Very well done!

CV asked the same question I was going to ask...... thats neat that you were able to get in there and get those shots, nice lighting too.

In past development plans there have been ideas to keep many of the old buildings. I believe that Thomas' plan includes taking two of the historic buildings and turning them into a tech train musuem. The historic depot will be moved a few hundred feet and in following phases, some of the big historic buildings will turn into housing units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users