- - - - -

Movie Review: The Magnificent Seven!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:14 AM

Not sure about others but let me first say the original The Magnificent Seven (which was a remake itself of Samurai Seven) has always been one of my favorite movies of all times. As a Western it is only surpassed by The Searchers and Shane for me. In that order. Even with that said, neither of those classics could ever match M7 for pure coolness. I am not ashamed to say I have seen M7 a minimum of 50X's and have always played the one liner game with friends and relatives as many may do with movies like The Godfather (dont even get me started on that one). Leave the gun. Take the Cannoli.

M7 I think became more than a cult classic. It sprang superstars like Steve McQueen and James Coburn and Charles Bronson. Robert Vaughn also as the Man from UNCLE. It already had established superstar Yul Byrnner as Chris, leader of the Seven and top actor Eli Wallach as Calvera in the villian role. Who would ever attempt to remake such a classic? Why? It cannot be topped, right? Right! It could not but this remake is still well worth the time.

The thing is they did not try to use the same story. It was changed completely while still paying homage to the the original and IT WORKS! Of course the premise is the same. A town (originally a mexican village) needs saving from a villain. In this case a rich robber baron. Switch from Mexico to our own Sacramento region which was a nice touch and it's game on. Oh yeah. This movie rocks! Denzel is as cool as one can be. The man just has his way and he did Yul Brynner proud. This is a pure action movie with a HIGH body count. I had to persuade my daughter to let me take my 10 year old grandson and believe me, he now has his man card. Grinning from ear to ear and also biting his lip when needed. Just like his Pa when I was a boy.

Chris Pratt in the McQueen role could never be as cool as Steve (who could?) but he was great too. Ethan Hawke played The Robert Vaughn role although had a bit of the original Harry role as well (Brad Dexter). Insiders of the original will know what I mean and I do not want to ruin it for anyone. Like I said they changed it while still paying respect to the original.

The rest of the Seven were a modernized multi cultural bunch which I enjoyed very much. Vincent D'ononfrio has an excellent role here as an indian fighter / tracker who follows the Seven ala Chico (Horst Bucholz) in the original. Again..they changed it while paying homage. The Coburn role went to Asian actor Lee Byung-hun. In the original NOBODY was better with a gun OR a knife than Coburn. Yul Brynner said so when recruiting them. As good as Coburn was with a knife I don't think he'd last very long with this guy.

Martin Sensmeier played Red Harvest. One VERY cool indian, deservedly one of the Seven. He and Denzel share breakfast in the beginning and i won't spoil it.

Manuel Garcia Rulfo played a Mexican bandit being hunted by Denzel (he'd be the enemy in the original) who then gets a chance to join rather than probably be gunned down by Denzel. An offer he couldn't refuse. He of course was very cool as well.

Haley Bennett played the role of the Mexican farmers in the original who came looking for help. She though has a big role and was excellent while also being quite sexy.

Purists know that Eli Wallach as Calvera cannot be topped. Many more know him as Tuco from The Good the Bad and The Ugly but as Calvera he was most excellent. As he was as Tuco.

Peter Sarsgaard as robber baron and villain Bartholomew Bogue actually makes Calvera look like a choir boy. Calvera needed food for winter for his men but at least he had a heart. He always left the villagers a little food. This guy though has no heart at all. Gold is his God. Believe me he is a guy you will love to hate.

So anyway I can obviously go on and on and on. As I said I am a HUGE fan and was looking forward to seeing this. I did come out pleased and very entertained. No doubt. Without ruining it though let me talk here to the people familiar with the original and make a few noteworthy comments of comparison...Pluses and minuses..For one thing, the original Seven went in to help with more or less nothing to lose except their lives. This Seven do the same BUT there is an ulterior motive too which I will not spoil here.

Another thing is this Seven really enjoy cracking wise with each other and there is much humor, mostly dark humor but you get the idea they really like each other and get along. The original Seven were all basically loners and did NOT mingle as these guys do. I really enjoyed that.

While there was a high body count in the 1960 version there is no way it matches the 2016 version. Not even close so buckle your seat belts. Also, film today vs 1960? Obviously this has to be seen.

There is sadness and regret in the movie but I do not think it can match the original. The story line in 1960 played up to that with a bit more character development although my grandson might disagree. Not sure since he has obviously seen the original Seven at least 5X's already with his Pa. BTW he told me he likes Calvera better lol.

This last thing is big to me. The original had the LINES that for me last to this day. This one does not. It lacks there though it does use some of the originals. In the original when Calvera comes in the first time with 40 guns he says to Chris (Yul) 'How many of you did they hire'? ENOUGH, was the one word answer. You know, goose bump lines like that. Steve McQueen telling Calvera 'We deal in lead friend". James Coburn with THE line of the movie when betrayed by the very villagers they went to help...... Nobody throws me my own guns and says run. NOBODY! As he is strapping on his guns to go back for revenge. That line made him a star and his image from the movie was to become the image for the Marlboro Man.

There is none of that in this movie. They did use a few lines though like Denzel saying ' I've been offered a lot for my work. But never everything'....and Sarsgaard quoting Calvera 'If God didn't want them sheared he would not have made them sheep.' Others too....OMG, how could I forget the music? The original score known to this day was a BIG part of the originals success. Big Part. Thats how good it was. The music then played throughout and really set the different moods. In this movie though they chose to mostly bypass that until the credits and purists well know it was probably a mistake. That aside remember it is a movie that stands on it's own story and plays to its own strengths. Go see it. We are going again next week. This time to IMax..You won't be disappointed. :SCHWEEEET:

#2 Sanstar

Sanstar

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Working

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

Excellent review! I'm not into westerns but this film has great stars and I'm a big fan of Denzel myself. I just may take advantage of $5 Tuesdays.

#3 marianna

marianna

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Saw this movie on Tuesday with my husband.  We both loved it.  I'm also a fan of the original "Magnificent Seven" and this was a worthy remake!  I'd see it again!

#4 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:24 AM

Trails, I am another big fan of this movie (the original).  I also have watched Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" many times and have his movies on DVD.   And Eli Wallach, now there was an actor....!   His "Calvera" and "Tuco" performances are etched in my brain.   I also honor him for serving our country in WW2 and I was sad to hear of his passing a couple of years ago.   Thanks for the heads up on this remake.  Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#5 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It's great to hear from fellow M7 fans too. I knew there had to be some like minded peeps for sure. Sanstar, thanks for the kind words. You should definitely go. For $5 it's a super bargain. You won't be disappointed....Marianna, great to hear that you and husband are fans and give this a thumbs up. Definitely worth seeing again. For me I have to try the IMAX lol...Chris, love your comments bro. Totally agree on Wallach too. He is missed for sure.

I have to admit it was years before I actually saw Seven Samurai but it was definitely classic. Many said the remake did not live up to it and although I disagree I understand where they are coming from. Kurosawa was genius and that film was both thrilling and haunting. I have probably seen it 5 X's easily. Hope you see this one soon and let us know what you think.

More lines from M7 1960...Chico to Britt (Coburn)...That was the greatest shot I ever saw...Britt answers, The worst. I was aiming for the horse.

Then the Seven were all griping and putting it on the table about being gunmen..."Men you step aside for...None...Insults swallowed...NONE...Wife None, Kids None, Prospects Zero....(Then Robert Vaughn says) Enemies None..(and Chris asks) No enemies? And Vaughn smiles and says, Alive... :bowdown:

Chris calling Chico on being a farmer himself...Chico says yeah i'm one of em. But who made us the way we are? Men like Calvera. Men like you. And now men like me...

One more...At the end Chris says..The old man was right. Only the farmers won...We lost. We always lose..

#6 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

Very cool Trails........!   I think we have much in common....!  Other than who we will vote for this coming election.   I have watched and studied the Kurosawa movies and I am always learning every time I watch one.  I am a big fan of Japanese culture and especially the Samurai sword, Katanas, etc....   I still study the ancient sword makers to this day and have many books on the subject.  I am also lucky enough to own two real WW2 and before capture Katanas.  I have also watched the Kurosawa movies many times with my 20 something year old sons..   They both are big film buffs and recognize the genius of Kurosawa and know their film history very well.    Very cool to see that someone had the guts to make a new Western film in these times.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

Great Review- I will surely be seeing this very soon... on one provision... Is there a lot of cussin in it ?  Not especially fond of the F word being overused in movies...I just think it take away from the story...  Have been told by one that he didn/t notice any but just checking again...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Hey thanks guys for the kind words. I hope the movie lives up to it for you now lol. You have to understand though where I am coming from too. As said I have always been a bit of a nut on M7. I saw reviews beforehand and to be honest they lacked somewhat although most did say it was a great action movie with an excellent cast. The public is liking it though and thats what counts. Some negatives were mostly done in comparison which I think is the wrong way to approach it as they did take a different path.

One thing I should say is the original was a lot slower moving and would build up (with music) to different peaks. This one is more or less a hot pace from the git go. The original took more time to get you involved with the characters but this one lets you appreciate who they are as they go along.

Folsom Gardner, no worries there bro on the profanity. It was remarkably clean with the language and even with the sexual situations which were only implied. Especially compared to today's junk. This one is all about the action.

Chris, good stuff with the swords bro. You will definitely get a kick out of Lee Byung-hun. Trust me on that one lol...BTW I don't even have a horse in the race anymore. My guy didn't even know about Aleppo and now he can't even name a world leader. What wuz I thinking? Or better yet is he still smoking the funny stuff? :mellow:

Another quote from M7 1960 (kindly bear with me lol) ..Bernardo (Charles Bronson) had more or less adopted the farmers sons in that movie. They followed him every where and if he died they were to be responsible for the flowers on his grave. Earlier they expressed shame to him about their fathers calling them cowards. Bernardo scolded and actually spanked them telling them he was nothing but a gun but their fathers were the brave ones for working everyday with no guarantees. Sure enough as Bernardo was dying with the boys at his side he nods towards the fathers who had been in the battle and says..'Look, you SEE your fathers?" :unsure:...Heavy emo back then...

#9 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:44 PM

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

I thought this was an interesting review although I do not agree with much of it. With some of it I do. I personally feel this guy is reading a wee bit too much into the movie and even the series of the 3 films. While imo he may be close to nailing it at the end of his review i do feel there IS more to it than just popcorn though certainly not as deep as he wants to go in his 3 film review. I DO take issue with his generalization that the 1960 film is racist although I get where he is coming from. It's hard to believe he is putting the same rap on this version in his way. I do not see that. In fact I see it as an attempt of inclusion and more in tune with today's society. In my review I stated how I enjoyed that as I am sure most would. I disagree with his 'Token' comment

Anyway with all this said if you haven't seen it yet I'd probably pass on this for the moment. Hence the Spoiler Alert...Why ruin it? Again forgive an M7 addict for being obsessed as I am known to be. Also kindly cut some slack for a guy recently retired with a wee bit too much time on his hands lol. :type:

‘The Magnificent Seven’ Is Perfect For A Generation With Nothing To Say

You’ll definitely have fun watching the ‘The Magnificent Seven’ remake. But you won't remember a thing.
Loyola-Color-Headshot.jpg
By Mario Loyola
October 3, 2016
AddThis Sharing Buttons

Editor’s note: Spoilers for 2016’s version of “The Magnificent Seven” follow.

If you think you’ve never seen Akira Kurosawa’s “The Seven Samurai” (1954), you’re wrong. You’ve been watching it all your life, in countless remakes and borrowings. It’s in Hollywood’s DNA. Now you have a chance to see a distant glimpse of it again, in a new version of “The Magnificent Seven” by director Antoine Fuqua (“Training Day,” “Shooter,” “The Equalizer”).

This is the second time Americans have attempted to remake “The Seven Samurai,” the first being “The Magnificent Seven” of 1960, starring Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen. Both American remakes are entertaining enough, with plenty of violence and fun repartees. The formula for introducing characters that Kurosawa developed—define the impossible mission, then assemble the crack team one at a time—is a winner every time, as is the basic narrative: underdog warriors defending the innocent from the tyranny of evil men.

But “The Seven Samurai” has two things its imitators lack, quite apart from Kurosawa’s masterful command of the film form: majesty and humanness. Whereas “The Seven Samurai” is ultimately about a defeated people’s struggle for redemption, its imitators are about, well, nearly nothing.

It’s perfectly understandable that MGM would have seized on the idea of remaking Kurosawa’s greatest film. He was the most “Western” of Japan’s prominent directors, and many of his movies were perfectly adaptable for American audiences. The spaghetti western that launched Clint Eastwood’s career, “A Fistful of Dollars” (1964), was copied almost scene-for-scene (plagiarized, actually) from another Kurosawa samurai film, “Yojimbo” (1961). Eastwood would go on to make that mysteriously quiet and deadly gunslinger the most iconic face of the American western. But what made that cowboy so unique is that he wasn’t a cowboy at all, but rather the American face of a feudal Japanese warrior condemned to a lonely and endless peregrination—in other words, a rōnin.

The Plight and Redemption of the Rōnin

A rōnin is a samurai warrior who has lost his privileged status, usually because his feudal lord has been killed or defeated in battle, and now roams a hostile world, struggling to survive and suffering endless humiliations. Japanese literature and film include lots of stories about rōnin. But in “The Seven Samurai,” all the samurari seem to be rōnin. The film is set in a time of civil wars, during which the countryside is overrun by bandits while the towns teem with idle, penniless rōnin reduced to wandering about in defeat, wondering what the point of survival is without dignity.

Kurosawa knew his audience. When the movie was released, millions of former soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army had been reduced to wandering the rubble in defeat, similarly wondering where redemption might come from. For them, Kurosawa had a humane and humanizing answer: What makes you a samurai is not your position in a social hierarchy, but the goodness of your works; not the image your vanity demands, but the honor inside of you.

This unmistakably Christian message is driven home in one of the movie’s vaguely biblical opening scenes. The lead character, a great (former) samurai, is introduced as he’s getting ready to rescue an infant that has been taken by a murderous and hysterical bandit inside a hut. To get close enough to get the baby and kill the bandit, he decides to trick the bandit into thinking he’s a Buddhist monk, by shaving off the samurai topknot at the back of his head. The villagers gasp at the unheard-of act of self-abnegation from a samurai. The baby is rescued and reunited with its mother; the bandit is killed.

Seeing this, residents of a nearby village who live in terror of a periodic raids from a large group of bandits on horseback prevail on the samurai to help. The samurai, who spends the whole movie rubbing the part of his skull where the samurai topknot used to be, decides to assemble a team of other samurai, a treasury of archetypes Hollywood is still drawing on to this day: the archer with the brilliant sense of strategy; the portly warrior with the hearty laugh; the quiet and unshakably calm super-swordsman; the eager young upstart; and of course the clownish rustic who pretends to be rōnin, inspires his fellow peasants to defend themselves, and in the end proves himself worthy of the samurai.

The seven prevail in the end. Yet they have lost half their number. And did it bring the redemption they sought? “In the end, we lost this battle too,” says their sullen leader. But the peasants won, and that’s what matters.

Lost in Translation

Now consider the problems of transposing this story for American audiences. First of all, it presupposes a social hierarchy with three separate castes: samurai, villagers, and outlaw bandits. How do you recreate a caste system in the classless American West? MGM’s answer in 1960 is a comic caricature of Yankee imperialism. Except for a passionate young Mexican, all the “samurai” parts are white. All the villagers and bandits are … Mexican. In other words, Yul Brenner and his “samurai” gunslingers are doing good by intervening in a conflict among Mexicans.

They don’t do a particularly good job. After they successfully fend off an initial raid by the bandits, our magnificent seven are tricked into leaving their positions, and return to find that the bondoleros, led by Eli Wallach, have taken over the town and have them surrounded. They are forced to give up their weapons and beg for mercy.

Incredibly, however, the villains agree to let the cowboys leave unhurt if they promise to not come back, and they can even keep their guns. This magnanimity would prove foolish. The seven ride away, easily forsaking the villagers to save themselves, but that night, something stops them.

“Nobody throws me my own gun and says, ‘Run,’” intones James Coburn’s character, a faint imitation of the quiet super-samurai. “Nobody.” In the end, the magnificent seven decide to go back and kill the bandits, apparently for the principle that real men don’t back down in a schoolyard scrap. America was now primed for Vietnam.

Re-Translated for 2016, and Little Gained

In the latest iteration of “The Magnificent Seven,” director Antoine Fuqua sees no need to humanize the villains. He sees no need for diversity, either. Apart from a token Chinaman, a pair of Comanches, and of course Sam Chisolm (the lead role, played by Denzel Washington), everyone is white.

Fuqua, who is also black, makes some interesting stylistic choices. Chisolm, leader of the seven, wears all black and a moustache, exactly like the lead role in the most iconic “blacksploitation western” of the 1970s. But what made “Boss (censored)” a blacksploitation film was the constant reference to black cultural stereotypes: a pair of jive talkin’ black cowboys give dumb racist white men their comeuppance to a funk music soundtrack. It was all about race.

In that sense there is nothing blacksploitation about “The Magnificent Seven.” In fact, there is hardly a single reference to Chisolm’s race in the entire movie, with the arguable exception of the obligatory opening saloon scene, where all Hollywood gunslingers establish their bona fides by killing a bunch of vaguely ornery extras. He has more than enough range to make his characters all about race, or not at all about race. Here he delivers the latter. Perhaps Fuqua dresses Chisolm up as “Boss (censored)” not to revive blacksploitation, but to inter it once-and-for-all.

If George Clooney is our generation’s Cary Grant, Denzel Washington is our Jimmy Stewart, great to watch in any role and breathing life into even the most lifeless characters. Standing in for Steve McQueen, Chris Pratt is thoroughly enjoyable as the alcoholic gambler Joshua Faraday.

Unfortunately, despite a cast brimming with talent, none of the other seven is the least bit memorable, nor much less are any of the villagers. The leading “villager” who hires Chisolm to protect the village (and who is widowed by the villain at the start of the movie), tells us what she’s after: “I seek righteousness. But I’ll take revenge.” Sounds interesting, but that’s all we ever learn about her.

As an action movie, “The Magnificent Seven” is brilliantly paced and choreographed, never a dull moment. The movie’s downfall is the script, which was co-written by Richard Wenk, a veteran of other Fuqua action movies, and the talented Nic Pizzolatto, creator of the HBO series “True Detective.”

Here, the script is not quite as bad as Pizzolatto’s script for the awful second season of “True Detective,” but it is not nearly as good as his script for the show’s first season. It can’t even manage to be consistent about the seven’s most basic motives in defending the town. Some of them seem to be doing it because there will be one less bounty hunter after them, or because they have nothing more fun to do; and even the high-minded Chisolm turns out to be on a revenge mission against the villain, who tortured, raped, and then murdered his family. We only find that out at the end. (Talk about a pointless reveal).

Toss In a One-Dimensional Modern ‘Villain’

The most interesting element in this “Magnificent Seven” is the villainous Bartholomew Bogue, a thoroughly evil capitalist entrepreneur played by Peter Sarsgaard. In both “The Seven Samurai” and the first remake, the villains were bandit outlaws. For a 2016 remake, that wouldn’t do at all. As any American university student or Black Lives Matter activist could tell you, the very idea of a bandit outlaw is just privilege justifying the oppression of yet another disempowered group. Only power can be truly evil, particularly corporate capitalist power. So the villains can’t be bandits. They have to be … capitalists!

Only power can be truly evil, particularly corporate capitalist power. So the villains can’t be bandits.

And why humanize them, when everyone knows capitalists are evil incarnate? At the start of the movie, Bogue interrupts a church service to announce he’s coming back in a few weeks to buy all the land in the town for his mining operation, for maybe a third of what it’s worth. And the townsfolk better sell, because he will kill them all if they don’t. To make sure they get the message, he burns down the church.

Hollywood has produced many stories of robber barons intimidating defenseless frontiersmen into selling their land, including for example “Pale Rider” (1985) and Robert Altman’s tragic masterpiece “McCabe and Mrs. Miller” (1975), a movie that proves Hollywood can make westerns as great as “The Seven Samurai.” It might seem mundane and unproblematic for Fuqua to alight on this construct instead of the problematic “outlaw native.”

But “Pale Rider” and “McCabe and Mrs. Miller” were truly wilderness frontier movies, in which the capitalist villain seeks to intimidate either a small group of people, or the partners who own the land, after a more-or-less legitimate offer to buy their share. The new “Magnificent Seven,” by contrast, is set in 1879, with industrial civilization and the rule of law rising rapidly all around. Land transfers obtained by massive force or fraud, to make no mention of mass murder, risk being unenforceable—not very smart for a capitalist entrepreneur.

It’s hard to be a successful capitalist entrepreneur when everyone around can see that you belong under lock and key and heavy sedation in a psych ward.

But this capitalist, in addition to being a psychopathic mass-murderer, is an idiot. After the seven ambush and kill several dozens of the evil gunmen, Bogue dispatches several hundred gunmen from Sacramento to kill every man, woman, and child in the town. He doesn’t stop to ponder how he’s going to buy up their land if they’re all dead and all the deeds are tied up in probate; or how he’s going to handle accusations that he came by his property by massacring God-fearing Christians in an area of the country firmly in federal control.

He doesn’t stop to ponder much of anything, actually. In the final scene, he unveils a Gatling gun that it made no sense to keep for after he has sent his men against the heavily fortified town and lost virtually all of them. Had he opened the assault with the Gatling gun, and then sent the men in, he would have ended the day alive and in control of an empty town, however little that might be worth.

After a quarter century of anti-capitalist indoctrination, American audiences can be expected to sit comfortably with the idea that one can be both a capitalist entrepreneur and a depraved mass-murdering lunatic. That blend comports nicely with the worldview of Bernie Sanders and his supporters, and more than a few Donald Trump supporters too. Of course, back on planet Earth, you can’t actually be a successful capitalist entrepreneur if everyone around can see that you belong under heavy sedation in a psych ward.

Whether the new “Magnificent Seven” has a social agenda or is “socially conscious,” I’ll leave to experts in identity politics. It certainly doesn’t have a human agenda. It is popcorn: compulsively enjoyable, and totally forgettable. It has nothing important to say, a perfect part of its time. Audiences will love it.

Mario Loyola is a contributing editor at National Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users