#31 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Sep 29 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just move....Instead of having HOAs in all the developments to keep the rift raft out...just have excuberant electricity prices!!!!!
Maybe that's why there are so MANY foreclosures in EDHs....
If I had to pay $900 a month for electricity, I would move immediately!
900x12= $10,800 per year! That could pay for a lot of fancy international vacations!

I don't think $900 was their monthly average,

unless they have a pot farm or something? J/K biggrin.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#32 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

We live in Folsom and we can't seem to get out of Tier III. --no matter what we do.

In fact, last year we were out of the country for three weeks out of the 30 day billing period, and we were still in Tier III!!!
Before we left I turned off and unplugged everything I could think of with the exception of the refrigerator. That included unplugging the microwave, TVs, computer, small appliances, and the washer or dryer (I don't remember which one right now or if it was both.) I turned the AC/heater to off. No one stayed in the house. I figured we'd get down to Tier I (Yippee!!), but no...Tier III again. :-( We're even in Tier III in the "shoulder" months.

Granted, we are all electric (no gas), no pool, no hot tub, the house is 2 stories, about 2000sq. ft with a very open floor plan and 21ft high ceilings. (Yeah, it is kind of like trying to heat/cool a barn.)
But we weren't even there!!
We do have an extensive garden that is on automatic sprinklers. They stayed on while we were gone.

Any ideas? Could the AC/heat pump be using electricity even though it is "off"? Still, I can't see how it could be that much. I can't see where the refrigerator would use that much. (It is about 9 years old.)

However, even being in Tier III most of the time our bills are nothing like the ones cited here. Our average monthly bill is about $150.00. ( It goes way up in Deceber with our extensive Christmas lights. Even then, it is in the $300+ range) Sinced we are all electric and have lived in our home for a long time (since '87 ) we have the lowest rate that SMUD charges (without being disabled etc.). Being on Rate 14 is really great, but I am in a sort of a conundrum in that when we remodel I really would like a gas stove top. It will be really hard to forego the great rate we have just to get a gas cooktop.

#33 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (mikat @ Sep 29 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We live in Folsom and we can't seem to get out of Tier III. --no matter what we do.

In fact, last year we were out of the country for three weeks out of the 30 day billing period, and we were still in Tier III!!!
Before we left I turned off and unplugged everything I could think of with the exception of the refrigerator. That included unplugging the microwave, TVs, computer, small appliances, and the washer or dryer (I don't remember which one right now or if it was both.) I turned the AC/heater to off. No one stayed in the house. I figured we'd get down to Tier I (Yippee!!), but no...Tier III again. :-( We're even in Tier III in the "shoulder" months.

Granted, we are all electric (no gas), no pool, no hot tub, the house is 2 stories, about 2000sq. ft with a very open floor plan and 21ft high ceilings. (Yeah, it is kind of like trying to heat/cool a barn.)
But we weren't even there!!
We do have an extensive garden that is on automatic sprinklers. They stayed on while we were gone.

Any ideas? Could the AC/heat pump be using electricity even though it is "off"? Still, I can't see how it could be that much. I can't see where the refrigerator would use that much. (It is about 9 years old.)

However, even being in Tier III most of the time our bills are nothing like the ones cited here. Our average monthly bill is about $150.00. ( It goes way up in December with our extensive Christmas lights. Even then, it is in the $300+ range) Since we are all electric and have lived in our home for a long time (since '87 ) we have the lowest rate that SMUD charges (without being disabled etc.). Being on Rate 14 is really great, but I am in a sort of a conundrum in that when we remodel I really would like a gas stove top. It will be really hard to forgo the great rate we have just to get a gas cook top.

I had the same thing happen after I had moved out of my first house. I seem to recall them saying something about bill averaging to spread out the higher rate months... I don't know where I'm remembering this from, but perhaps they charged you a higher rate when your usage was metered so low... Does this ring any bells with others?

What is the power rating of your pool pump(s) and how many hours/day were you running them? Also, did you leave an electric (?) pool heater on during your time away? That definitely sounds like a lot for just a fridge, and some ghost NRG usage around an empty house. D

How does your August 2008 bill compare to this one, considering the differences in your time in the house?

In addition to the special power strips that I mentioned above, I also picked up one of these kill-a-watt meters for measuring on and off NRG usage by the various electronics items and appliances around the house. I was pretty surprised at how relatively high the powered-off ghost usage was compared to the operating usage for some items!

How do they establish one's assigned rate (yours being 14)... I'm also in North Folsom, but just found that my rate is 8.
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#34 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

Even if it was only $500 a month, I would say that's insane! I don't know many people who can afford that kind of energy bill......I complain when our bill is $225 inc. PG&E except August and December when it's about 300 total b/c of air con and xmas lights in Dec.
I work from home and do lots of laundry and have a little over 2000 sq. foot home...BTW, I have to have the air con set at 78.........It seems like it's on all day b/c we have the western exposure.....
When your electricity payment is as much as a small house payment, I think it's time to move unless you are a millionare...which I doubt is most people's income in EDH even though there are high incomes there....
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#35 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

Got 2 more bills and our highest smud bill is under $300 and thats with an electric dryer running full speed (2 babies = alot of clothes), electric oven, AC never EVER shuts off it blows all through the night, we have portable AC System running full throttle and my computers. My one workstation is a Mac Pro with two 23 inch monitors and a 30 inch monitor in the center and I leave it running 24/7. Plus more more powermac's. All that and under $300. In EDH that would have been an INSANE Bill!!!

Our gas bill is $12 this month.

There is absolutely no comparison. We had way less running in our old 3 bedroom apartment in EDH. It was about the same size as our house now and our bills were getting up to $600/month in summer.

I can't wait to move back to EDH because I love it there way more then folsom but I will cry returning to the brutality of PGE.
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#36 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

FolsomFrogGuy,

Thanks for the input.

We don't have a pool pump as we don't have a pool or hot tub. We have a heat pump style heater for our house (as a lot of people do in this area.).

The low rate (14) is based on being all electric (no gas). As I remember SMUD stopped using that rate a few (ok--many) years ago, but if you had that rate previously you got to keep it. Newbies have to pay the higher rate. (Kinda like Prop 13. :-) It pays to stay in your house.) There may be something about transferring the rate if you move to another all electric house, but I know at one time you couldn't transfer it and if you moved you had to pay the higher rate. There may be another similar rate now, but since I don't plan on moving I haven't really been all that concerned about it. I'm just concerned about paying a higher electric rate if I bring gas into my hosue when we remodel.

I have Budget Billing, where SMUD takes the average of the last twelve months bills, so I actually pay the same amount each month. NO SURPRISES!! It is great. That way you don't have a humongous Christmas light bill right when you are also paying your Christmas bills.--or a huge A/C bill when you are paying summer vacation bills. It is also easy to set your checking account auto-pay when you know what the bill is going to be every month. That, along with a fixed rate home loan, makes budgeting a lot easier. Now if I could only average out our Costco bills. :-)

#37 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (JLS @ Sep 29 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't wait to move back to EDH because I love it there way more then folsom

That's just because you miss your favorite neighbor/customer, right?
rolleyes.gif

#38 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

Of course... as well as her lovely 25 little dogs : )

Although I have now moved onto my other career but as soon as our lease is up in Folsom we will be back in Serrano!

http://www.tomatopag...showtopic=27464
(link to our closing thread)
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#39 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (JLS @ Sep 29 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got 2 more bills and our highest smud bill is under $300 and thats with an electric dryer running full speed (2 babies = alot of clothes), electric oven, AC never EVER shuts off it blows all through the night, we have portable AC System running full throttle and my computers. My one workstation is a Mac Pro with two 23 inch monitors and a 30 inch monitor in the center and I leave it running 24/7. Plus more more powermac's. All that and under $300. In EDH that would have been an INSANE Bill!!!

Our gas bill is $12 this month.

There is absolutely no comparison. We had way less running in our old 3 bedroom apartment in EDH. It was about the same size as our house now and our bills were getting up to $600/month in summer.

I can't wait to move back to EDH because I love it there way more then folsom but I will cry returning to the brutality of PGE.

Yeah, that's crazy in EDHs...I can't believe SMUD is allowed to charge that much...I'll slum it in Folsom before I pay 500-900 dollars a month in electricity...loco....

#40 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (mikat @ Sep 29 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FolsomFrogGuy,

Thanks for the input.

We don't have a pool pump as we don't have a pool or hot tub. We have a heat pump style heater for our house (as a lot of people do in this area.).

The low rate (14) is based on being all electric (no gas). As I remember SMUD stopped using that rate a few (ok--many) years ago, but if you had that rate previously you got to keep it. Newbies have to pay the higher rate. (Kinda like Prop 13. :-) It pays to stay in your house.) There may be something about transferring the rate if you move to another all electric house, but I know at one time you couldn't transfer it and if you moved you had to pay the higher rate. There may be another similar rate now, but since I don't plan on moving I haven't really been all that concerned about it. I'm just concerned about paying a higher electric rate if I bring gas into my hosue when we remodel.

I have Budget Billing, where SMUD takes the average of the last twelve months bills, so I actually pay the same amount each month. NO SURPRISES!! It is great. That way you don't have a humongous Christmas light bill right when you are also paying your Christmas bills.--or a huge A/C bill when you are paying summer vacation bills. It is also easy to set your checking account auto-pay when you know what the bill is going to be every month. That, along with a fixed rate home loan, makes budgeting a lot easier. Now if I could only average out our Costco bills. :-)

Ahhh...I must have recalled your mention of a "heat pump" and so pool pump got stuck in my head!

I wonder if your Tier III accounting is related to the Budget Billing option... Could it be that the Tier III uses from other months are being spread out into your lower use months, such as when you were out of the house? I suppose your bill should probably illustrate such carryovers if this were the case...
10,023; Down 29%

#41 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Sep 30 2009, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that's crazy in EDHs...I can't believe SMUD is allowed to charge that much...I'll slum it in Folsom before I pay 500-900 dollars a month in electricity...loco....

SMUD isn't in EDH, they get their electricity from PG&E.
I would rather be Backpacking

#42 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Sep 30 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SMUD isn't in EDH, they get their electricity from PG&E.

I wonder how PG&E rates are doing in Davis, considering how much PG&E put into fighting SMUD's expansion there a little while ago....?
10,023; Down 29%

#43 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Oh, that's why! Can you imagine what the fun things you could do with an extra 10 grand?

#44 555

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

Asbestoshills - What's your freakin' problem? If you hate EDH, stay off the message boards in EDH. Stick to the Folsom one. I am more than happy to pay HOA fees. Have you noticed what's happened to American River Canyon SOUTH? How about Broadstone? Cars on blocks, weeds and burned lawns all over the place. Once proud areas. My daycare lady lives in Broadstone and her neighbors yards are just AWFUL. Maybe one of those is yours.

So many foreclosures in EDH? What are you comparing it to? Folsom!!??? Check the numbers.

Take your negative self somewhere else. You're not informed (referencing SMUD in EDH) and you're blowing it out of proportion. My bills are not that much higher in EDH as it was when I lived in Folsom. And one reason I am paying more in EDH is that my house is 40% larger than it was.

Your posts are just ridiculous...

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Sep 29 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just move....Instead of having HOAs in all the developments to keep the rift raft out...just have excuberant electricity prices!!!!!
Maybe that's why there are so MANY foreclosures in EDHs....
If I had to pay $900 a month for electricity, I would move immediately!
900x12= $10,800 per year! That could pay for a lot of fancy international vacations!

#45 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (555 @ Oct 21 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So many foreclosures in EDH? What are you comparing it to? Folsom!!??? Check the numbers.

Actually, I would love to see the 2009 raw #'s because last year Serrano EDH had more foreclosures than other non gated areas of EDH. In fact, there were more foreclosures in the 95762 zip than the 95630 zip code.
Furthermore, homes in Serrano thst were going for 1 million + were now being LISTED for 699 and sold in the low 500's. This could be true for "luxury" homes anywhere, BUT the absolute MYTH that gated communities are just immuned to home depreciation is the biggest bunch of BS. One thing that is very interesting is that how these HOA dues (or NON payment of dues) are affecting the HOA general fund and the HOA premiums. I mean, if you have a homeowner that has stopped paying mortgage on his/her property and has stopped paying the HOA dues, the banks typically take about one year to foreclose on that property. The HOA can send "threatning" letters, but those are just letters. Once thw bank takes hold of the property, they may or may NOT pay all the back HOA dues. They will pay the taxes because thats the guvment, but they can scew the HOA's.

One final thought. The about to be foreclosed homeowner can also really screw with the HOA by leaving the trash and parking the cars (God forbid) in front of their house. What are they going to do????

Again, most folks are under this illusion that the HOA has any power, but theie so called powers are severely overstated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users