- - - - -

Mow And Blow Air Quality

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Washing your car in a car wash bay is best. If you must wash it at home, washing it on a lawn is better than the driveway.

Listen, wash your car in your driveway if you can justify it yourself. I, myself, can't because I know it's not a good thing to do. That's my prerogative. I never said anything ridiculous like lick your car clean. Geez.

Hey I think he should lick his car clean, we could sell tickets to watch him do it, raise money for charity

I get my car washed at quick quack, for 6 bucks it's worth it not to have to do it myself

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

. I guess it's just a matter of time before they hook meters up to rainspouts on homes and charge you for the runoff.

SSSHHHHhhh! Don't you know the money starved city counsel read this forum? Don't give them ideas like this!

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

SSSHHHHhhh! Don't you know the money starved city counsel read this forum? Don't give them ideas like this!

Doh! Hope you're wrong, or I'll be as unpopular as the kid that reminds the teacher she forgot to give out the homework assignment :(

#19 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Shoot, I mowed my lawn and polluted the air and didn't make one red cent. At least the POS lawnmower was given to me for free, but I had to pay for the gas and oil.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#20 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

My gardner - "Earth First Lawn Care" uses an electric mower and blower. No exhaust.

#21 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

CARB hasn't gotten this far down the ladder yet,

I don't think this is factually correct. They had several changes in the 1990's and they have more proposed changes coming.
Late in the 90's there was a huge run on 2 stroke lawnmowers because they were being outlawed and were the most reliable.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/sore/sore.htm

#22 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Maybe I missed it, but it doesn't look like they are conducting any enforcement measures yet on users of this equipment, like they are currently doing on trucks, buses and other larger equipment. There are in fact, regulations appying to the manufacture and sale of this small equipment though.

#23 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

"Residents often don't realize that washing cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly things we can do around the house. Soapy runoff from washing your car picks up other pollutants and goes right into storm drains and eventually into the river...untreated. This poisons aquatic life and destroys the natural ecosystem. "
http://www.beriverfriendly.net/riverfriendlycarwashing/

my driveway slopes towards my house, so the runoff runs into my backyard and waters the side of my house, not the gutter, thank you very much. :P
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#24 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

You shouldn't wash your car in your driveway even if it's "allowed." It's not a responsible thing to do.

OMG... I hope you never get to be in charge of any government agency... what a stinking elitist comment...

pray tell missy... how the heck do you wash your car...?

And the most disturbing thing of all...? is that you probably vote too...

#25 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

OMG... I hope you never get to be in charge of any government agency... what a stinking elitist comment...

pray tell missy... how the heck do you wash your car...?

And the most disturbing thing of all...? is that you probably vote too...

Excuse me?! Totally uncalled for. Can we back off the personal attacks here?

Why do you have your undies in such a bunch over what I said? You shouldn't wash your car in your driveway. I never said it should be outlawed or anything.

I wash mine in a car wash bay or run it through Quick Quack.

#26 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

No need for name calling and libelous comments even if you disagree with an opinion or fact.

As to washing cars at home, I wash with a bio degradable soap and a nozzle with shutoff because I hate risking my paint with commercial places that use high pressure water spray and scratchy brushes and mops. Good risk that the spray will embed dirt and the brush/mops may have picked up dirt, rock or other debris that can scratch.

CW - a serious and honest question you may be an authority on (assume you work in a waterways related occupation): Is this acceptable or is the few gallons of water from the car and driveway still harmful with a consideration that the next rain will wash that same driveway down the drain?

#27 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

No need for name calling and libelous comments even if you disagree with an opinion or fact.

As to washing cars at home, I wash with a bio degradable soap and a nozzle with shutoff because I hate risking my paint with commercial places that use high pressure water spray and scratchy brushes and mops. Good risk that the spray will embed dirt and the brush/mops may have picked up dirt, rock or other debris that can scratch.

CW - a serious and honest question you may be an authority on (assume you work in a waterways related occupation): Is this acceptable or is the few gallons of water from the car and driveway still harmful with a consideration that the next rain will wash that same driveway down the drain?

Great question, and I just learned something new by doing a little research (http://www.flowstoba...a_faq.php#ask13 ) :

Why shouldn't I wash my car at home, I use biodegradable soap?
When washing cars, the water runoff can enter the storm drains. This puts pollutants such as grease, dirt, oil, metals and soap to our local creeks. Even biodegradable soaps require oxygen to breakdown, depleting our creek of the oxygen fish and other organisms need to survive. Also, just because the soap breaks down, doesn't mean it breaks down into components that should be in the water. It is best to take your car to a car wash where the water is discharged to the sanitary sewer system or wash your car on a lawn or other surface where the water can be drained down and filtered through the soil.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#28 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Great question, and I just learned something new by doing a little research (http://www.flowstoba...a_faq.php#ask13 ) :

Why shouldn't I wash my car at home, I use biodegradable soap?
When washing cars, the water runoff can enter the storm drains. This puts pollutants such as grease, dirt, oil, metals and soap to our local creeks. Even biodegradable soaps require oxygen to breakdown, depleting our creek of the oxygen fish and other organisms need to survive. Also, just because the soap breaks down, doesn't mean it breaks down into components that should be in the water. It is best to take your car to a car wash where the water is discharged to the sanitary sewer system or wash your car on a lawn or other surface where the water can be drained down and filtered through the soil.

Doesn't all this happen when it rains on the same car parked in my driveway?

And I see the Folsom trash collector leaving a puddle of hydraulic fluid at every stop he makes, they ain't helping the cause any.

#29 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks eVader.

Deb covered it well in her post. (I don't work in a waterways-related occupation but a friend does and has been very informative throughout the years.)

#30 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Doesn't all this happen when it rains on the same car parked in my driveway?

If rain did a good job getting all that dirt off our cars we would never have to wash them, right? Soap gets the difficult grime off and, again, even the biodegradable soap (which isn't in rain) causes problems.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users