26 replies to this topic

#1 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

I have seen from time to time parents who buy their kids coffee. These kids are as young as 5. I would think coffee drinking at this age is harmful.

#2 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

My wife said I talk tooooooooooooo much when I drink coffee, let alone the kids on cafein!!!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

good gawd giving a kid caffeine is like giving a monkey speed - very bad combo

I think giving a kid coffee at a young age is not too bright..... it'll make 'em way too hyper and its not good for their developing hearts - not to mention I heard rumor that it'll stunt their growth

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:17 AM

Are you sure they're actually getting coffee? My kids like to go to Starbucks with me, but I get them the creme version of the frappucinos, which means no coffee. It's more like a "grown-up" milk shake.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#5 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:18 AM

One mom told me that her son likes to drink caffeine drinks because he doesn't want to grow because of the sport he's in. He's only 12.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:46 AM

I've never heard of any kids drinking coffee, but I do let my 4 1/2 year old have the occasional Diet Coke. I never thought I would, but here's what happened. Her older sister tried my soda one time, and pronounced it horrible and disgusting. So, when #2 came along and wanted to try my soda, I let her try it -- figuring she would find it as repulsive as her older sister had. Big mistake. She loved it!! Now, she is always wanting soda. We don't allow it for lunch or dinner, but occasionally I'll let her have half a glass with her snack.

Just goes to show how unpredictable parenting can be. If I had anticipated that my second child would actually LIKE soda, I would have taken a different tack-- like telling her it was an "adults only" beverage.

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:48 AM

What is the issue with Coffee for kids ?
Heck they drink Coke/pepsi etc and then they not only get similar levels of caffine, but 24 grams of sugar-- ( that is 6 teaspoons per can of coke) ..

If they like the taste and even if they have 2 teaspoons of sugar (8 grams) they are better off than drinking sodas...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

My daughter has liked coffee (black coffee with no cream or sugar no less) since she was very small (she is now 9). She doesn't drink it often but I let her when she wants some, its never a lot and I tend to agree with the soda/coffee comparison! I on the other hand very rarely drink coffee and never drank it until a few years ago and I need lots of cream and sugar!!

#9 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

I can't imagine a child drinking coffee. Talk about one hyper kid you would have on your hands! I never even liked the taste of coffee until I started drinking mochas in my Jr year of HS.

I could see a child going into Starbucks and ordering the kid beverages there. No coffee in those or the cream fraps. My only concern would be the calorie intake with the Starbucks and Jamba Juice drinks.

#10 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

The problem with caffeine is that it can stunt a child's growth. Coke doesn't have as much caffeine as coffee. We let our kids drink an occasional diet coke (keep at least the sugar out the equation).

#11 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:02 AM

I have been drinking coffee since I was in elementary school. It is what we had for breakfast along with our food. This was in the 1940's. First I had milk and sugar, but before high school I was drinking it black.

To this day I am a huge fan of coffee, but not the strong, french roast, eat your stomach, kind like in Starbucks and other coffee houses serve. And I absolutely loathe all the sweet concoction coffees.

As a family we had coffee every morning and tea with dinner every evening.

We did not drink much soda.

It did not stunt our growth as my brother is 6'3" and I am 6 feet tall. Though we are now 67 and 70, we are very healthy and NOT overweight. My blood pressure is 120/77 and my pulse is in the low 60's and I have very low cholesterol.

#12 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:03 AM

Is diet coke even safe? I'm just wondering if it's better to let a child drink the regular soda than a diet soda. I've heard different views on the artificial sweetner thing.

#13 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:04 AM

Never seen a difference in how she acts after drinking soda, tea or coffee. I definitely wouldn't give it to her everyday, but one every few months I don't worry about, especially since she rarely drinks soda.

#14 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

When I was little my dad would give me a little juice glass of beer. I use to love the taste and it didn't cause me to go out and want to get drunk. I've heard kids do like the taste of beer. Now, I never drink beer and can't stand the taste. Before I was pregnant I would maybe have a drink once a month or even less so it didn't cause any harm.

#15 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

My parent's never had sweets in the house and I have a huge sweet tooth. I rarely had access to candy, cookies, regular soda, and even sugar and now I can go through tons of candy and sweets. Not so much during pregnancy though. Everything in moderation! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users