• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Sep 1 2005, 08:32 AM)
But I blame it on the parents for not properly teaching their kids.  In my traditional Asian culture, these things would not happen.

View Post

Well said cyber! the parents are 100% responsible.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 BlueStateMom

BlueStateMom

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Sep 1 2005, 08:33 AM)
Agreed on that point!!

As for cell phones, did you know that my son is the ONLY 13 year-old in the ENTIRE City of Folsom ( or is it the ENTIRE country) who does not have a cell phone?!! eek.gif

At this point, my husband and I don't think he has the need for a phone.  We still bring him everywhere he needs to go.  We coordinate drop-off and pick-up plans for his activities everyday, and he's had to learn to live with those plans.  He is never in a place without access to a phone, even if it is a pay phone.  As our son's activities change, and as he grows in responsibiity, we will reevaluate a cell phone.

View Post

My 13 year-old doesn't have one yet either. The issue only comes up EVERY 20 MINUTES though...Don't know how much longer we can hold out! Seems like it would actually help with all the sports logistics, so we may cave-in soon...

#18 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

True to a certain %; however, as parents I believe in building a strong foundation of values at home, then it's harder for your kids's friends to influence him/her.

QUOTE(Folsom voter @ Sep 1 2005, 10:17 AM)
I also think that kids learn disrespectful habits from each other, and it's up to the parent to teach them otherwise.

View Post

#19 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Sep 1 2005, 11:24 AM)
I too got my son a cell when he was 15 and my daughter one at 12 for the same reasons...so they can call me for a ride, or in emergencies or if I take them somewhere I have them leave it on so I can call and check in occassionally - I fully believe cell phones are good for sensible reasons like that but they know to use the home phone for regular calls to friends and stuff.    I got them those virgin mobile phones that you kinda "gas up" to use so they have limits on them.

View Post

I agree with you... I got my son a TracFone which is also the kind you add minutes to. The phone was really cheap (39.99 at Target....color screen, fancy ringtones, Nokia), and for a 100-minute card, it's $29.99. He knows to watch the minutes remaining, and so far, we've only needed to refill about every other month. Much cheaper than adding a cell to our other plan, and no worries about huge unexpected cell phone bills showing up. I like that I can reach him wherever he is, and he can reach me if he needs. BTW, my son will be 15 in 2 months.
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#20 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

A bit more expensive, but a pretty cool idea.

Product Information:
Works on GSM 850/1900 MHz networks
Internal antenna
Rechargeable, nonremovable lithium ion battery
Up to 6 hours talk time
Up to 205 hours standby time
Size: 3.46" x 1.75" x 0.79"
Weight: 2.12 ounces
Dual language capabilities: English and Spanish

Fun for Kids:
Firefly Fireworks™ light display flashes when making and receiving calls, during standby, and when charging
12 ring tones to choose from
5 animations to choose from
7 LCD screen backlight colors to choose from

No Sweat for Parents:
Speed dial Mom, Dad, and 911 assistance
PIN-protected Phone Book with up to 20 numbers
Optionally rejects calls from numbers not in Phone Book
Missed call indicator and list

http://www.fireflymobile.com/

#21 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

I found this solution of soap-in-mouth to be THE best solution. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif rofl.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Aug 31 2005, 04:01 PM)
That is appaling!!If my daughter EVER said that to me...I would take her to the nearest restroom and stick some soap in her mouth! 

I have noticed this...they have no regard for elders...

View Post

#22 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

Cyber:

Since I can't believe you are washing the baby's mouth out with soap already, can we conclude that you were once on the receiving end of the bar of soap? tongue.gif

#23 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

It was worse than that tongue.gif tongue.gif .

QUOTE(forumreader @ Sep 1 2005, 12:32 PM)
Cyber:

Since I can't believe you are washing the baby's mouth out with soap already, can we conclude that you were once on the receiving end of the bar of soap?  tongue.gif

View Post

#24 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

Parents have to start beating/spanking (whatever words you want to use) their kids. If they're too scared or don't believe in "spankings," the government should do it for them. Like a spanking institute..

This is a direct result of not having the grapes to spank your kids.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#25 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

On the cell phone....

Take them to the store and tell them they can pick out any cell phone they want and any service they want. At that point they'll usually go for the most expensive phone and service.

Jot down all the information on a piece of paper, ask them if they're sure, and when they say, "yes", say ok, lets go home now. You'll get the phone and service when you've saved up the money and pay for it.

If s/he gets an allowance, make them pay for it out of their allowance. Make them work (aside from the usual household chores they should be doing without pay) for it.

If they do all the work and earn it, good for them. Let them continue paying for the cell phone service by working for it.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#26 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Sep 1 2005, 08:32 AM)
In my traditional Asian culture, these things would not happen.

View Post

My mom and dad were mor liberal with our upbringing. However since my grandparents immigrated here from both China and Japan, I got it from them.

My god how the lectures, stares, frozen wooden rice scooper, mental games worked.

Not once have I ever disrespected an adult that has treated me with respect (I admit as when I got older, if an adult didn't show me proper respect I was not going to be courteous to him/her).

But as it was said earlier, the disappointment from my mom was enough to send me crying to me room for who knows how long feeling worthless for letting her down. I'm gonna have to learn that one for my own children.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users