62 replies to this topic

#31 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'm thankful I don't have to drive that section of road often. I did drive by where the accident happened today as I left Wells Fargo and went back to work in my classroom and thought what a tragedy. I like to drive "fast" but rarely do because it isn't safe for me or other people on the road. I find now that I have an SUV I find I drive slower. :2thumbsup:

I think the city needs to take a serious look at redesigning Blue Ravine between Prairie City and Bidwell. This is a winding stretch of road traveled at high speeds by a high volume of traffic. There really needs to be a center median installed. Its not a matter of if there will be another head on, but only when. I drive this stretch of road daily, and always feel very uncomfortable doing so, staying in the right lane at all times.

#32 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

You know what might be nice? If there is a stretch of street prone to accidents and/or speeding, maybe the police could close it off for a period of time except for residents who need access to/from home.

Devil's in the details but I like the concept.

Maybe that would work as a traffic calming measure. People might get tired of looking for alternate routes and so might learn to drive nicely. I would LOVE if they would close our street to through traffic.

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

I think the city needs to take a serious look at redesigning Blue Ravine between Prairie City and Bidwell. This is a winding stretch of road traveled at high speeds by a high volume of traffic. There really needs to be a center median installed. Its not a matter of if there will be another head on, but only when. I drive this stretch of road daily, and always feel very uncomfortable doing so, staying in the right lane at all times.

I agree, although I'm not sure what they could do about it. I drove it yesterday. going north, you are going uphill and turning right at the same time. And its a blind spot to see what's coming at you because its sort of the crest of a little rise there.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

What is, IS. You need to drive the speed that you can control your own vehicle.

You need to stay in your lane and not cross over the line into oncoming traffic.

All in all that actually sounds pretty easy and the majority of us seem to be
able to do it.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#35 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

You need to stay in your lane and not cross over the line into oncoming traffic.

able to do it.

Agreed. And leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, I might add.

#36 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Agreed. And leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, I might add.

I think most people know to drive safely, so accidents are unusual. However, there seems to be quite a few in that particular area compared to most of our roads. There has to be a reason why, other than user-error. I say its a combination of a slightly tricky driving area (one where you actually have to pay attention) and bad drivers coming together to create a tragedy.

#37 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think most people know to drive safely, so accidents are unusual. However, there seems to be quite a few in that particular area compared to most of our roads. There has to be a reason why, other than user-error. I say its a combination of a slightly tricky driving area (one where you actually have to pay attention) and bad drivers coming together to create a tragedy.

I agree. I think it would be a good idea to put a planter barrier in the center of the road along the area where the you would come in and out of those curves. Another thing, also: I have noticed that people tend to slow down in areas where curbs are really high.
I think that may be a good deterrent to high speed on the curved roads.

#38 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

ditto, tailgating is like asking to be in an accident.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#39 crossski

crossski

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

I agree. I think it would be a good idea to put a planter barrier in the center of the road along the area where the you would come in and out of those curves. Another thing, also: I have noticed that people tend to slow down in areas where curbs are really high.
I think that may be a good deterrent to high speed on the curved roads.

Concrete is dirt cheap(no pun intended). There has to be a will of the city council to
'fix' a problem and the will needs to weigh safety and lives over asthetics if need be.
Will be interesting to see if this city has the 'mojo' to improve things in a big way...

#40 Folsom_Blues

Folsom_Blues

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Blue Ravine, Iron Point, East Bidwell, Prairie City and Folsom Blvd are all essentially highways in Folsom. We see fatal crashes every year on all these highways, but apparently that's not enough to do anything. These highways allow very high speeds.

Why are we designing roads that can handle speeds in excess of 60 MPH?

#41 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

able to do it.

EXACTLY.

You can't make everything absolutely safe. You can't erase the human element. You cannot eliminate risk.

99.9999999% of the time, accidents don't happen.

#42 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Blue Ravine, Iron Point, East Bidwell, Prairie City and Folsom Blvd are all essentially highways in Folsom. We see fatal crashes every year on all these highways, but apparently that's not enough to do anything. These highways allow very high speeds.

Why are we designing roads that can handle speeds in excess of 60 MPH?

Because we want to get somewhere. How about we just not have cars? If we all stayed in our houses, there would be NO CAR ACCIDENTS! Problem solved.

Slower speed limits won't stop car accidents. Individuals driving responsibly will. Can you make it so everyone drives responsibly 100% of the time? No. Therefore, you cannot guarantee my safety no matter the posted speed limit.

And if people had to drive any slower up and down Blue Ravine, then I assume shootings would rise.

#43 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

AND ANOTHER THING...while I'm ranting...

Ditch the tin Prius and stop driving 10 miles below the speed limit in front of ME.

Commute yourself in a nice, roomy SUV and your odds of being fataly hurt in an accident go down significantly.

I don't know who that's directed toward, but you know who you are!

#44 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

AND ANOTHER THING...while I'm ranting...

Ditch the tin Prius and stop driving 10 miles below the speed limit in front of ME.

Commute yourself in a nice, roomy SUV and your odds of being fataly hurt in an accident go down significantly.

I don't know who that's directed toward, but you know who you are!

Sounds like you still haven't gotten over that can I opened up on you in Fantasy Football last season!

#45 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think I see part of the problem in here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users