29 replies to this topic

#16 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

Just curious why some here think it is ok to tailgate or enter emergency codes into a gated community?

i can trust and respect everyone most people on MyFolsom forums but question getting past the gates. It would be like someone wanting to tour your house to see how well you decorated it by tailgating behind you as the garage opens or trying skeleton keys to unlock the door. Not right.

I agree with you, if you do not have legitimate business going into a gated community, then you shouldn't. I feel I owe it to the residents to respect their right to privacy, they are paying to live in a gated community, I'm not going to violate their turf for my own pleasure.
I feel that the OP, if they want in, they need to work with a realtor to gain access the proper way, Not sneak in un-invited by tailgating or gate code guessing. Those who have legitimate business, I see no problems with them tailgating.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#17 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

You mentioned the Country Club. If you want to see the custom homes through the guard shack next to the CC, you just need to check in at the guard house and they will write down you car license info and give you a day pass. No big deal.

#18 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

We've lived in a few gated communities. It wasnt because we felt like we needed to feel secure or that we wanted privacy. It was because we liked the surroundings and amenities they offered, in or out of the gate, we would have bought regardless. We do enjoy house hunting. . .When we see people in front of their homes, we smile and wave, they do the same back. . . People drive by our home all the time, its an incredible view and they do gawk at our home, Im crazy about our landscape and I keep it up and I consider it a compliment when people stop to look at our home, no offense, as Gia would say. . .

You mentioned the Country Club. If you want to see the custom homes through the guard shack next to the CC, you just need to check in at the guard house and they will write down you car license info and give you a day pass. No big deal.

Thank you for the tip, I appreciate it. . .

#19 kathygrl

kathygrl

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Just remember, once you get behind the gates.................vampires! ;)

#20 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

You were right! We went to an open house, via the guard at the front gate. We just provided our drivers license #, license plate and our names. . .No problem. The homes and landscape in there are truly incredible!! The thing I couldnt help but notice is there were no people around, not working in their yards, sitting in their courtyards reading or having a cocktail, no kids playing ball in the streets or in their yards. . . We have been in several times now and each time we didnt see residents. . . We will stay where we are at in Folsom, but that country club area is absolutely beautiful. . .

#21 SacDJ

SacDJ

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

Quick tip: If you punch in the score of the previous week's 49rs game, home team 1st, that works 1/2 the time. Example: This week would be 2324 since the Eagles lost at home, 23-24 to the 9rs.

Or just follow someone in.

#22 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

You were right! We went to an open house, via the guard at the front gate. We just provided our drivers license #, license plate and our names. . .No problem. The homes and landscape in there are truly incredible!! The thing I couldnt help but notice is there were no people around, not working in their yards, sitting in their courtyards reading or having a cocktail, no kids playing ball in the streets or in their yards. . . We have been in several times now and each time we didnt see residents. . . We will stay where we are at in Folsom, but that country club area is absolutely beautiful. . .

Front yards are landscaped and maintained by $$$$$$ HOA which also limits other things which if I recall include cant work on your car in driveway nor leave garage door open for more than 30 min, if working on car, must do it inside garage adn door closed, parks are for play (great parks though). I dont want to see cars on blocks nor poor landscaped/maintained yards and kids toys strung out all over but i nice well kept neighborhood with kids and people playing, working on yard or house, talking, bbq block parties etc is ideal.

#23 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Front yards are landscaped and maintained by $$$$$$ HOA which also limits other things which if I recall include cant work on your car in driveway nor leave garage door open for more than 30 min, if working on car, must do it inside garage adn door closed, parks are for play (great parks though). I dont want to see cars on blocks nor poor landscaped/maintained yards and kids toys strung out all over but i nice well kept neighborhood with kids and people playing, working on yard or house, talking, bbq block parties etc is ideal.

I agree, but not being able to change your oil or rotate your tires with your car in the driveway is over the top IMO. Does washing and waxing your car also count as "working on your car"?
Posted Image

#24 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

The custom homes section referenced is NOT maintained by the HOA. Some backyards are so nice, some families are back there having fun and entertaining as that is part of the lifestyle in the foothills.
Typically during soccer,football or baseball season, you won't see many kids playing in the streets or yards because they are playing at the fields and parks.
I am also glad to not have cars on blocks and abandoned cars on the streets. Changing oil has never been an issue or an open garage if there is some kind of activity. On a positive note, I left my garage open overnight and the security knocked on my door to let me know- and it was 1am so very much appreciated.

#25 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

I agree, but not being able to change your oil or rotate your tires with your car in the driveway is over the top IMO. Does washing and waxing your car also count as "working on your car"?

I was just thought of the times my husband taught our 13 year old how to change spark plugs, check the oil, fluids and put a new chrome grill on our then truck. . .that would be a shame for Dads not to be able to teach their kids these important things. . .though I do have friends whose husband "dont know how to work on cars" maybe they grew up in strict HOA communities. . .?

#26 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

On a positive note, I left my garage open overnight and the security knocked on my door to let me know- and it was 1am so very much appreciated.

Over the years I have awakened three of my neighbors around midnight, they always answer the door with this disgruntled "WTF do you want" look, until I tell them their garage door is wide open, then I get the polite "Oh! thank you".

You wonder what I'm doing out at midnight, usually walking to the mail box to mail some bills just before The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson comes on.
Posted Image

#27 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I was just thought of the times my husband taught our 13 year old how to change spark plugs, check the oil, fluids and put a new chrome grill on our then truck. . .that would be a shame for Dads not to be able to teach their kids these important things. . .though I do have friends whose husband "dont know how to work on cars" maybe they grew up in strict HOA communities. . .?

I just had this conversation last weekend. We came to the conclusion that the newer cars are sealed so tight you can't change plugs or filters easily any more. Even changing oil is difficult. Every day Joe's (and Josie's) working on cars is going the way of learning handwriting and you don't see many Kragen/ Grand Auto type auto parts stores any longer.

All in all,ultimatley the HOA rules work in everyones favor.... everyone that signed up for it.

#28 KoMbAse

KoMbAse

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Its laughable how these Serrano(ites) think that they are so insulated living with a false sense of security due to their their gates and rent a cops (security guards). My good friend lives in Serrano and one day he woke up to take his kids to school and he saw all kinds of SUV's and police cars next doors (DEA, EDPD,FBI and other agencies) busted the door of the next door neighbor. It turned out that the folks living there were engaged in one of the largest meth dealers in ED county history. NOT a meth lab, but high value dealer. They found $1million in canadian and other currency. Apparently this home was under surveillance for a few weeks.
There have been other "embezzlement" criminals as well as pot houses (they like a nice gated community where no one would ever suspect).

Bottom line is when you step out of that Serrano bubble/comfort zone and conduct an unbiased study, you will realize that the $175+ per month for mowing front lawn + gates + security guards may not be worth it.

#29 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Its laughable how these Serrano(ites) think that they are so insulated living with a false sense of security due to their their gates and rent a cops (security guards). My good friend lives in Serrano and one day he woke up to take his kids to school and he saw all kinds of SUV's and police cars next doors (DEA, EDPD,FBI and other agencies) busted the door of the next door neighbor. It turned out that the folks living there were engaged in one of the largest meth dealers in ED county history. NOT a meth lab, but high value dealer. They found $1million in canadian and other currency. Apparently this home was under surveillance for a few weeks.
There have been other "embezzlement" criminals as well as pot houses (they like a nice gated community where no one would ever suspect).

Bottom line is when you step out of that Serrano bubble/comfort zone and conduct an unbiased study, you will realize that the $175+ per month for mowing front lawn + gates + security guards may not be worth it.

It's laughable how Serrano haters always go to the "false sense of security" tangent. No one in their right mind thinks any place is "insulated" from crime or bad people, bad things etc. We went through this rant on here a few years ago...

There are already rattlesnakes to contend with; so Serrano is very nice but not perfect.
If we are fortunate enough to choose where we live...we end up where we are comfortable no matter what the cost is.

#30 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

I also do a lot of business in this community, there are new tract homes by Standard Pacific on the country club side, I'm pretty sure you just check in with the gate attendant if you are going to tour those model homes.

But like Jeff mentioned I too mostly use a code but they change the codes regularly (every six months) if I'm not mistaken. I would rather not bother my clients to get the new code so it's often easier to follow other cars, landscapers etc through. A car is almost always coming or going out every 30 seconds.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users